Model 6 w/ EMG's SA/SA/81

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 w/ EMG's SA/SA/81

I've been poking through many threads and haven't found an answer to what I'm looking for. I have a Charvel Model 6 I bought 10 years ago from GC. Absolutely love guitar. I'm not entirely happy with the sound though. I own a Model 4 with the same setup and the sound coming out of the model 4 is very different. With the model 6 it's hard to explain what I'm hearing or not hearing but its not lively or full as the 4.

I want to replace the model 6's setup with these:
    http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/103/7/1
    I also want to retain the 3 selectors on the Charvel. I'm savvy with the soldering iron but not so much with re-wiring keeping the original pu selectors. Simple job or leave it to the pros?

Thanks!
    88 Model 6
    88 Model 4a
    2005 Schecter C1 - Elite

Originally posted by Buchez View Post
    I've been poking through many threads and haven't found an answer to what I'm looking for. I have a Charvel Model 6 I bought 10 years ago from GC. Absolutely love guitar. I'm not entirely happy with the sound though. I own a Model 4 with the same setup and the sound coming out of the model 4 is very different. With the model 6 it's hard to explain what I'm hearing or not hearing but its not lively or full as the 4.

I want to replace the model 6's setup with these:
    http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/103/7/1
    I also want to retain the 3 selectors on the Charvel. I'm savvy with the soldering iron but not so much with re-wiring keeping the original pu selectors. Simple job or leave it to the pros?

Thanks!
    I'm a bit confused. What pickups are in the model 6 right now?

Rewiring pickups isn't completely impossible. Are you close to me? I could help you if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

Rewiring pickups isn't completely impossible. Are you close to me? I could help you if you need it.
      Hey Donp,
      unfortunately i'm not close. Im in Atlanta, GA.

The model 6 has its original setup. I was happy with the way it sounded until I bought the model 4. The model 4 is very clean sounding and with the mid-boost working correctly, its adds so much. Hard to explain exactly what I mean. With the model 6, I think there is a bad ground somewhere in the wiring and the potentiometer for the mid boost is to the point where its all or nothing. Rather then tracking down the bad ground and replacing the potentiometer, I'd rather change out the pick-ups and tune it to something more my liking.
      I've replace pickups before in a schecter I own. Its those 3 switches that are confusing right now.
      88 Model 6
      88 Model 4a
      2005 Schecter C1 - Elite

Comment

Here's a basic schematic for wiring up 3 mini-switches. It's for 3 singles, but it's no different than what you would do with an 81-SA-SA, since the 81 isn't splittable.

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=66&pos=16

In your case, you'll be removing the midboost circuit & going with the EMG pots, so the wire "A" will be going to your new volume pot. From there, just use the EMG schematic & you should be good to go.

One other thing to consider with EMGs is that they don't recommend running a ground wire to the bridge, iirc, so you will need to disconnect that wire. On a Model 6, that one should be running straight to the cavity shield ground lug.
        Last edited by dg; 02-22-2010, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

Originally posted by dg View Post
          Here's a basic schematic for wiring up 3 mini-switches. It's for 3 singles, but it's no different than what you would do with an 81-SA-SA, since the 81 isn't splittable.

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=66&pos=16

In your case, you'll be removing the midboost circuit & going with the EMG pots, so the wire "A" will be going to your new volume pot. From there, just use the EMG schematic & you should be good to go.

One other thing to consider with EMGs is that they don't recommend running a ground wire to the bridge, iirc, so you will need to disconnect that wire. On a Model 6, that one should be running straight to the cavity shield ground lug.
          +1
          Helpful people.
          Models
          The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
          I dont need furniture.
          If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
          If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
          And rock that sucker.

Comment

DG,
            Thanks for the tip and the resource! Should be easy enough.
            88 Model 6
            88 Model 4a
            2005 Schecter C1 - Elite

Comment

The M4 and M6 are completely different guitars; one is a basswood Strat, while the other is a maple/poplar Soloist. It makes sense that they will sound differently although they have the same pickups.

I wasn't happy with the stock pickups in my M6 either, and I've had both EMGs (85/S) and a DiMarzio X2N in it. The EMG-85 suited the guitar really well with its growly mids, while the X2N sounded a little too "scooped" for my taste. I wasn't happy with the EMG-S singlecoil. Now I have a Jackson J-80C humbucker in it, and it's the best yet. I have yet to find any singles that tickle my fancy however.

I would personally advice against the EMG-81, since I think it's absolutely dry and uninspiring. But it depends on what music you're going to play, and what setup you will play through.
              Last edited by Sunbane; 02-22-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Up until I bought the M4, the M6 was a dream machine. Now I'm not so happy.

Thanks for the input about the 81 PU. I have a Schecter C1 Elite with the 85/81 setup that I use for more modern bands like Lamb of God, Killswitch, Bullet for my valentine, etc... so I'm kinda familiar with how both PU's sound. With the 6, I like to play more 80's metal i.e. Ozzy, Skid Row, 80's Metallica, etc... so the 81 would be used for more high gain leads. I play through a pretty basic setup. I play through a Peavy Valveking 212 stock.

I understand sound is a personal preference but I'm open for anyone's input or suggestions. I'm not entirely partial to EMG's PU's but those are the only ones I've had experiences with.
                Thanks again guys!
                88 Model 6
                88 Model 4a
                2005 Schecter C1 - Elite

Comment

Me like my Model 6 with

Sa/Sa/81 Pickups

Toggle switches control:
                  Bridge switch= 81 on/off
                  Middle switch= sa/sa on off
                  neck switch = volume boost on/off EMG PA-2

Knob Controls:
                  Volume
                  Emg SPC
                  Tone

I find it to have a very nice 80's metal tone tuned 1/2 step down.
                  JCM 800 Lead MK11 or GT-10 or both at the same time.
                  My favorite guitar.
                  Last edited by finnman; 02-22-2010, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I love the JB/Duckbucker/Little '59 all with available coil split in my Model 6. Talk about versatility, this has it!!
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

For 80's metal in general, I'd definitely recommend the EMG-85 over the 81. The 81 has a very flat EQ-curve, while the 85 has a bit of a mid-range bump. In a simple setup (such as straight into an amp), this translates to a much nicer tone IMO. Output-wise, there's almost no difference between the two. According to EMG, the 85 actually has a slightly higher output.

However, if you like a mid-scooped tone with tons of gain, the 81 is the ticket. Thrash metal? The 81 nails the Metallica tone.

Comment

Working...
                      X