Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Charvel model 5

Hey Guys!,
    I just put a deposit on a Charvel at a local music store. I belive it is an import model 5 but would like to make sure. It's a creme white color and has a neck thru body, 24 frets with dot inlays and two humbuckers with three control knobs. Here is the thing that I'm unsure of,...it has a Floyd Rose locking nut, not a Khaler type that I've seen on other Charvel imports. It has two EMG pickups as well but I belive that those are not original. It also has an Ibanez edge trem bridge on it. Does any one know if they made a model 5 with a Floyd Rose locking type nut? Did they make a USA version of the same guitar?
    I got a great deal on it!,..$330.
    Thanks Guys!

They did use a Floyd-style nut on some model series guitars - most likely the later ones. It's not unheard of, so my guess is that it's legit.

You're right that the EMGs aren't original.

At that point in time, all USA-guitars were made to order, and I don't think they ever had a Charvel neck-through as a regular model (?). A Charvel was (generally) a hot-rodded, bolt-on Strat (well at least in 90% of the cases).

The Charvel M5 and M6 are basically import versions of a Jackson Soloist, under the Charvel brand. More "Jackson Style" import Charvels followed in their wake: 3DR/Predator, M88, M8/Spectrum, 275, 375DLX, 475DLX, Avenger, 550XL, 650XL, 750XL, etc.

Comment

The nut could be original if it's a late '88 model like Sunbane said, or someone could have installed a floyd nut on it. If they did, you should be able to see where they put a wedge-shaped shelf under the new nut. Either way, as long as the nut is stable and sits at the right height, it's a great deal.

Comment

I've got a Model 5A (in dark metallic purple) that's supposedly a neck-through. If I remember correctly, all the upper-level Model series guitars (4,5,6) were neck-through, while all the lower-level ones were bolt-on.

And my 5A's got a behind-the-nut style string lock, too.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDestruction View Post
          I've got a Model 5A (in dark metallic purple) that's supposedly a neck-through.
          It is indeed neck-through.

Originally posted by DrDestruction View Post
          If I remember correctly, all the upper-level Model series guitars (4,5,6) were neck-through, while all the lower-level ones were bolt-on.
          Almost all guitars in the Model Series were bolt-on, including Model 4. The only neck-throughs were the M5 and M6. Model 7, 8, and 88 were bolt-on as well.

In addition, Model 1-4 were not "lower level" or in any way inferior to the models with higher numbers. AFAIK, they were all made with the same (high) level of quality.

Comment

USA Charvel's were all bolt on.
            Neck-thru Charvel's were made in Japan and were; Model 5, 5A, 5FX, 6, 550XL, 650XL, 650 Custom.

See link.
            http://www.charvel-jackson.info/
            Models
            The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
            I dont need furniture.
            If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
            If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
            And rock that sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
              The nut could be original if it's a late '88 model like Sunbane said, or someone could have installed a floyd nut on it. If they did, you should be able to see where they put a wedge-shaped shelf under the new nut. Either way, as long as the nut is stable and sits at the right height, it's a great deal.
              Yes, I agree, it's a great deal reguard less. I don't have the guitar yet, just a deposit on it but it's not one of the Charvels with the large toothpaste logo that I know came out in the late`80's/early`90's. It has the smaller logo. I'm pretty sure that the Floyd locking nut was an add on. Whoever did it did a very good job. It even has screws thru the back of the neck to hold it in place instead of the way everyone mounts they now with the screws going thru the nut on top. With some Dimarzios in it to replace the EMG's and an original Floyd Rose bridge I have to replace the Edge trem that's on it, it should be a killer axe! Can't wait to get it paid off!

Comment

The through-bolted nut is a giveaway that it's definitely added, but no problem at all as long as everything is solid. I predict you're going to love this guitar. Post up some pics when you get it!

Comment

Working...
                X