Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 3 Question

Hi folks, new guy here, in need of some help

i was offered a 83 model 3 in near mint cond. with orig tweed case. It is supposed to have a kahler floater. Pearl white HSS config, black guard.

He wants 600 for it. There is one on ebay like that right now i believe for 900+. How realistic is 600 and are there any issues with the guitar especially the trem. i have never had a charvel or a kahler trem equipped guitar.

Thanks

No such thing as a 1983 Model 3. If it has a Kahler, it's a 1986. Unless there's been a severe spike in Model prices recently, 600 is way overpriced. 900+ is just smoking crack. You can get a used USA Soloist for around that price.
    My gear
    87 Charvel Model 6
    86 Charvel Model 4
    93 Jackson RR EX
    93 Jackson Kelly STD
    88 Ibanez RG560
    99 Schecter Diamond C-7
    Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

thanks thats some good info. what is the going rate? I saw model 4's go from 400 - 700 . How is the trem, i read its no good?

Comment

Originally posted by dragsternj View Post
        thanks thats some good info. what is the going rate? I saw model 4's go from 400 - 700 . How is the trem, i read its no good?
        First make sure whether it's a Model 3 or a 1983 USA Charvel. Big difference in value.

Model 3? I'm thinking somewhere around $300.

Is the trem no good? Some people like to bash Kahlers. I like having some Kahler and some OFR axes. To me they are all good.

Comment

The Kahler used on the Model 3 (only on '86 models) is the Fulcrum model, rather than one of their flatmount cam systems. It is a pretty bad trem, about on par with your average v-trem as far as tuning stability. If I bought one, I wouldn't want to spend more than $250. I could see going a little higher for a later model with the JT-6 trem, because it works pretty well and is easily swapped for a real floyd, if necessary. With the Fulcrum, your only good option besides re-routing for a floyd is to find a discontinued Kahler Killer trem.

Comment

Does this help

I know its a fairly small pic

Comment

That definitely looks like the Kahler Fulcrum, and an '86 Model 3.

Comment

Thanks guys

So i can offer around 300 and block the trem

Comment

Working...
                X