Model 1 heel joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 1 heel joint

i have posted this guitar here before trying to identify it. the general consensus was that it is a model one that somebody has ruined by making the neck joint AANJ.

I really want to get this guitar into shape, and wanted to know how, if possible to repair it back to the original block joint.

Not without adding all the removed wood.:think:
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Well duh...

Comment

only thing I could think of is to rout out the rest of the heel and glue a tenon in there. Then you could shape the new block of wood to the old heel shape. I don't know how practical that is, but at least you don't have to worry about a neck pickup rout causing complications
        Hail yesterday

Comment

It's not a good idea to go on any further. If it stays in tune this way and the neck doesn't move around then i would leave it that way. It's ugly and it's kills the value, but it's a model 1 and the bad news is that adding wood either gluing or some set wood wouldn't be stable enough i think. You could take a crack at it, but if you fail you risk to make it worst than it is now.

Comment

I agree.

Fixing it isn't going to recover the value - the value is already gone.

Is there some "playability" issue with the neck joint? If it plays fine, leave it. Buy another body or get another axe altogether.

Comment

It isnt the value i am worried about.

1) it looks terrible
              2) no matter how tight i do the screws up, the neck still moves.

Comment

To get the structural strength you need for stability, it's going to take a major project, like Gary said above. That kind if work would then require re-painting, so imo you're better off getting another Model 1 or Model 2 body for ~$100 and starting fresh.

Comment

or make it permanent.glue it and screw it in. you also could put cupped washers underneath the screws in the body and get wood glue and sawdust mixed together, work it into the holes and redrill it with a smaller diameter bit.
                  DK2 EERIE DESS
                  KE3 CUSTOM
                  KELLY PROFESSIONAL
                  KELLY PS6T W/ DK2 NECK
                  RR3 PRO
                  BC RICH MR-7 STEALTH
                  KRAMER VOYAGER
                  LINE6 HD150 SPIDER IV HEAD
                  TWIN CRATE 4X12 CABS

Comment

If it was mine I'd pbly get a used body or mojo body to use the neck on.

Then I'd (eventually) try to route a nice pocket the thickness of the neck flange down to the trem spring pocket. Then cut a chunk of wood (preferably the same as the body) to fit, glue and clamp. Sand and shape back to something resembling the original shape and drill and mount the neck.

Sounds easy. lol
                    |My CSG gallery|
                    (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

IMO (and that doesn't carry much weight ), the "heart" of a guitar is the neck... bodies can be swapped out..same style, different style...hell lefty body even....but if the neck feels right to you on that guitar, it is gonna feel right on any body you put it on. If that's the neck for you, then go ahead and put it on a different body. Much easier than trying to put that body you got back together as was. Just change out the body!
                      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Working...
                      X