My model 5's trip to the waterpark in San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My model 5's trip to the waterpark in San Dimas

It's been a while since I got my Charvel Model 5 back from Dan Lawrence but figured posting pictures late was better then never. here is a picture of the guitar before I sent it out to Dan. It's the blue one with the yellow graphic on it. I purchased it stripped off of ebay and figured I could resurrect it. The guitar should up with a flaking clear coat and a cheap chinese floyd knockoff.

I sold the chinese floyd knockoff to a forum member and picked up a Jackson labeled German made floyd off of ebay for the guitar. With the new trem I added a brass big block since the trem came with a 32mm floyd block which was too small for the non-recessed trem. For pickups I went with SD Blackouts and for the hell of it I added a EMG Afterburner. After this I decided to send the guitar out for paint since the flaking clearcoat was getting really bad. I contacted Dan about what I wanted to do and he was really great to deal with. So here are pictures are of the Model 5 after it returned from Dan.

I need to contact Budman and get a trem cover made for it still but other then that the guitar is amazing. Dan did a wonderful job on the finish. Now I have two more model 5's sitting around that need to be reworked and refinished.

Would adding a 4th trem spring help any? I just wonder because the claw seems to be tightened in almost all the way.

Looks awesome! Congrats! Now I want a Model 5 too, damn you!

Comment

I recall when you got it and thinking that it was a good candidate for restoration. I think it turned out great! A nice compliment to the kahlered 5 too.

Comment

that came out great. Nicely done!
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Aso View Post
          Now I have two more model 5's sitting around that need to be reworked and refinished.
          Geez, and I thought *I* was the only nut with 3 of these! Oddly enough, they all need to be re-finished as well!

Great looking job Dan did, think I'm getting motivated to do some stripping & painting today....
          Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Very nice finish!

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have four model 5's currently but this is the only one with a floyd. All the others have the dreaded and hated Kahler.

Comment

How are the necks on those compared to the ones with the Kahlers? Thicker?

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                  How are the necks on those compared to the ones with the Kahlers? Thicker?
                  The necks feel pretty similiar between the floyd guitar and the kahler guitar. I don't notice any difference in the necks.

Comment

Working...
                  X