The last time I bother you before I get my guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last time I bother you before I get my guitar

Let me start off by thanking everybody again for all their help... this is a fantastic board.

That said, can anybody sell me (or at least speak well of) the JT6 trem?
    RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Did you score that predator/3dr? Why in the heck are you looking for one of those???

Comment

Are you just asking if the JT-6 has any redeeming qualities? I think the design is fine, but the metal they used was bad. The main reason I don't let JT-6 trems scare me off of any guitar is that they are so easy to replace with an OFR. Even if the posts are bad, our own Budman makes replacements that screw right into the old bushings. The behind-the-nut stringlock isn't my favorite, but mine have all worked fine once I made sure the locking plates were in good shape.

Comment

The JT6 is a very well designed trem. When in general good shape with smooth knife edges it is a perfectly functioning licensed floyd rose. I even like the backside fine tuners. Like dg said though, the metal it is made out of is pretty horrible. The bulk of it is pewter soft and threads strip very easily. The knife edge is a pressed in piece of harder metal but it's still not super hard either. My posts on my 87 Model 5 are in fine shape, but the knife edges are worn horribly. I was a bit of a whammy experimenter back in the day so it did get lots of sometime heavy use, but I never gigged with it or anything.

So the verdict for me on the JT-6 boils down to well designed but poorly executed. If it was all made out of high quality materials it would probably be one of the more sought after floyd licensed trems made.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

JT-6 trems are fine never had one go down on me.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Did you score that predator/3dr? Why in the heck are you looking for one of those???
            I'm calling to get it today, I'm just worried that it's going to have a JT6 because it's some kind of hybrid or transitional model. I don't have the money to replace the trem and I use them heavily.
            RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
            My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

Don't know what bridge you're used to playing but the model 6 I just built/modified came with a JT-6. I didn't like that alot of the finish was worn (i'm sure normal for a 23 YO bridge), where the finish wears, it looks like copper color underneath, and the biggest problem was I didn't like how it felt under my hand while playing or muting. It being a non-recessed trem, you don't have to worry about the body route to replace it. An OFR (or gotoh, etc..) swaps right in. But the price steered me away. And anyway, A JT580LP also swaps right in. That's what I used because I like the way they feel under my hand, they can be had for around $50 in perfect shape, and in MY opinion, it's the best licensed FR out there.
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

+ 1 for the JT580. The Poor-man's OFR...!
                http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Working...
                X