The 4m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 4m

I'm still looking around for the right Charvel. I've read a few different things about the 4m. Some say that it is a student model, while others claim that the "m" stands for maple-neck.

Was it a student model? What do the three switches on it do? Do they adjust the onboard midboost? Is the Jt6 trem reliable?
    RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Its just a Model 4 with a maple fretboard. Nothing special about it other than that.

They were not available during 1986 - so they'll never have a Kahler.

They feature the mid-boost circuit - vol, tone, mid boost. The three mini switches are individual on/off for each pickup.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by savatage View Post
      Some say that it is a student model, while others claim that the "m" stands for maple-neck. Was it a student model?
      Charvel never designated any of their guitars as "student models" at least not during the Model era.

Comment

I believe the 4M's were only made in 1988. Here is a Burgandy Mist that I used to own:

MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

How does the 4m compare to the 475 deluxe exotic?
          RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
          My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

The 4M is a full-size strat, has a non-recessed JT-6 trem and no access scallop at the neck joint. The 475 is a dinky (7/8 strat) body, has a recessed JT-590 trem and has the access scallop at the neck joint. In short, it's more like a Jackson Dinky and the 4M is more like a traditional Charvel hotrodded strat. There are folks who prefer each, but I think most here will agree that the JT-590 is a far better trem than the JT-6.

Comment

Hey Alvin I bet you'd like to have that one back! Looks like a real sweetie.

Comment

yeah, I have to admit, I love the burgundy mist.. I almost bought one that was mint and a great price but my daughters said that Id look too sissy if I played it... too bad..

Comment

Working...
                X