Model 4 restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 restoration

OK I'm finally getting around to working on that Model 4 that I snagged for $150 off of Craigslist. The worst issue appears to be the Kahler. Three of the roller saddles are seized up and had to be replaced. I also ordered the heavy tension springs and heavy arm to get a more Floyd-like feel, and replaced a few rusted parts. That order added $100 to the project dammit! So the Kahler is torn apart right now. These are kind of a pain to work on!

Can't wait to see her when she's all together again!
    Love to see these brought back to life.
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

The Kahler is back together! It cleaned up nicely. These are VERY different to work on than Floyds.

Comment

nice work! What's next for the resto?
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Everything is back together. The finish was marred by overspray of a solvent of some kind (courtesy of the previous owner). I had a rough time trying to improve that situation. It's pretty decent now. I'm still playing with the setup on it, and there are a few bugs with the electronics yet to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            The worst issue appears to be the Kahler. Three of the roller saddles are seized up and had to be replaced.
            I've come across these in the past and had good luck using a punch to dislodge the pin in the center and re-oil the roller saddle. One side of the pin is larger than the other so one can punch from the smaller side.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

i have a model 4 to restore as well... the electronics is giving me a headache. you say there' re a few bugs w/ the electronics... what kinda problems are you having? i'll keep an eye on your thread... hopefully i can learn from ya and others who chime in....

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                I've come across these in the past and had good luck using a punch to dislodge the pin in the center and re-oil the roller saddle. One side of the pin is larger than the other so one can punch from the smaller side.
                That's impressive that you were able to pull that repair off, given how small the parts are. I would have tried, but after attempt #1 with pliers and WD-40 those parts were mangled!

Originally posted by moku View Post
                i have a model 4 to restore as well... the electronics is giving me a headache. you say there' re a few bugs w/ the electronics... what kinda problems are you having? i'll keep an eye on your thread... hopefully i can learn from ya and others who chime in....
                Just some dodgy switch issues and an input jack that is shot, nothing major at all.

Comment

OK I've got a couple questions. First, check out this pic:

The arm is screwed in to where its tightened up a bit and the tilt of the cam is adjusted correctly, but it is sticking up kind of high. To me, it feels like it should be screwed down in like 10 more revolutions. Is that just the way these are?

Second, the volume knob is shorter than the others. I'm assuming it is not original, but it does have identical knurling. Are all three knobs usually the same height on these?

EDIT: The arm is a "heavy arm" from Kahler, and I got the stiffer tension springs to go with it.

Comment

Hmm....I'm thinking the clutch is jacked up. It seems like it's permanently engaged. When I tighten or loosen the arm clutch, it makes no difference. As far as I could tell the clutch mechanism is sealed in that cam part and can't be repaired. Argh! I did manage to get it loosened up a bit and screwed down in farther by cleaning it out a bit more with WD-40.

Comment

Well +1 to Kahler tech support, I was able to get all the issues resolved. I will say this is one kickass guitar. I am a Floyd guy all the way, but I'm going to say that I'll take a Kahler Pro over a JT-6. It very much has the feel of a hardtail guitar, which I love. You can just whale on the strings rhythmically and it is totally rock solid. Of course, this is the heavy arm and heavy tension springs. I don't think I would care for a standard Kahler setup (which I've never tried...).

Comment

I had to wire up a new stereo input jack. Those stock square black plastic ones suck big time! I think I've got all the bugs fixed. This thing is kicking ass!

Comment

I got the body and neck back from Marty Bell a few weeks ago. He did a bangup job! Everything is nice and crisp, and he really nailed the powder blue color. He got the "Best Decals" decal under the clear nicely without any raised edges.

Comment

WOW, that looks sweet! Thanks for the photos and please post when you got her together.

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
                              i have a model 4 to restore as well...
                              +1, but my electronics are GUTTED. Nothing but a volume, tone and full shred. I need switches, single coils and other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X