Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, I got a quicky.

So. First post ever.

I got a Charvel about 2 years ago for 100 bucks, an amp and a metal zone pedal. I got a 275 Deluxe. It was all black, with the single locking floyd.

What are these worth today, and what would they be worth if upgraded with P90s? maybe someone got bored, and didn't like those bridge pickups. (any of them for that matter) and swapped out P90s in there? and maybe they also put locking saddles on there too.

Just throw me some honest numbers fellas, not looking to sell, just curious.
    Stock/P90 customized.

ps serial is 361234 1989/90? I dunno for sure,

Comment

original is usually going to get you a higher price -
      i'm not a charvel officiando like many here, but , i don't think the guitar is ever going to be worth enough to matter, if you enjoy playing it and don't really plan on selling it customize away - these tend to end up being peoples favorite guitars.

Here's a completed listing on the bay, can give you an idea.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/1980s-Jackson-Ch...item230444c305

Comment

How do you call it upgraded with P90s to someone into, say, Death Metal?

Any swap in pickups is not an upgrade, it's a personal choice to make the guitar better fit the music you are into playing. Only if the buyer was into the same music as you would it be considered an upgrade.

So, IMO changing pickups won't help the price, and might hurt the price. Best left stock if you are trying to sell. But if you are doing it because you like and want P90s, do it for yourself, don't worry about the resale. Put the stock pickups back in when you sell.

That said, the single locking floyd worries me. I'd say under $200 in stock shape, with a case.

Ok, saw your other post where you say you already routed it. $100 tops maybe.

BTW, there is only one bridge pickup. The others are a neck and middle.

Post a picture. If it was a quality job, maybe it's worth a little more.
        Last edited by DonP; 12-25-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Might want to post in Import Charvels
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

hey, Don P. just a word of advise READ THE WHOLE POST. . . and dont be so stuck up when it comes to other playing styles and mods. Death Metal is not the only music out there. and frankly that statement about p90s is foolish.

Not to mention, I never said i was trying to sell it. . . I specifically stated the opposite.

Obviously you dont know what a GOOD hot single coil can do. Vintage wound epis are sometimes found up in 10-15 ohms. Dearmond made custom wounds for Martin guitars in the 60s what were 11.5 ohms. P90s are versatile, and can achieve metal tones all the way to soft jazz.

My Dearmonds are only 7 and a half ohms and can have a great high gain sound, without Pedals, through a Fender HRD deluxe on the regular OD setting. Sometimes companys use Low output single coils for MORE distortion...

I called the bridge and middle pick up "the bridge pickup" because if you have ever played one of these, you know there is no significant difference in sound them to qualify them as separate pickups.

These stockers lack definition. I decided to put them in some Punk rock kid's Strat and let him have his way with them. In this case it was an upgrade in pretty much anyone's eyes. read around the forum. I've seen at least 10 other people who feel the same way, and that those stockers lack definition.

way to post dump buddy. if you even read this far.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Might want to post in Import Charvels
              haha, why. In this era of guitars, the only difference in there were name badges and logos.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizardkinged View Post
                hey, Don P. just a word of advise READ THE WHOLE POST. . . and dont be so stuck up when it comes to other playing styles and mods. Death Metal is not the only music out there. and frankly that statement about p90s is foolish.

Not to mention, I never said i was trying to sell it. . . I specifically stated the opposite.

Obviously you dont know what a GOOD hot single coil can do. Vintage wound epis are sometimes found up in 10-15 ohms. Dearmond made custom wounds for Martin guitars in the 60s what were 11.5 ohms. P90s are versatile, and can achieve metal tones all the way to soft jazz.

My Dearmonds are only 7 and a half ohms and can have a great high gain sound, without Pedals, through a Fender HRD deluxe on the regular OD setting. Sometimes companys use Low output single coils for MORE distortion...

I called the bridge and middle pick up "the bridge pickup" because if you have ever played one of these, you know there is no significant difference in sound them to qualify them as separate pickups.

These stockers lack definition. I decided to put them in some Punk rock kid's Strat and let him have his way with them. In this case it was an upgrade in pretty much anyone's eyes. read around the forum. I've seen at least 10 other people who feel the same way, and that those stockers lack definition.

way to post dump buddy. if you even read this far.
                Hey fucknut,

I did read your stupid first post. Why the hell do you care what your guitar is worth? Why do you care what it's worth if you change the pickups?

I got a Charvel about 2 years ago for 100 bucks, an amp and a metal zone pedal. I got a 275 Deluxe. It was all black, with the single locking floyd.

What are these worth today, and what would they be worth if upgraded with P90s?
                It ain't worth shit today, and it won't be worth a shit with P90s
                maybe someone got bored, and didn't like those bridge pickups. (any of them for that matter) and swapped out P90s in there? and maybe they also put locking saddles on there too.

Just throw me some honest numbers fellas, not looking to sell, just curious.
                Stock/P90 customized.
                It's worth one load of my crap.

Fuck off if the truth hurts.

Maybe you should have tried reading my post. I never said I liked Death Metal - I don't. I just said your idea of a good pickup and someone elses are two different things.

You say I don't know what a good hot single coil can do? Once again you didn't read my post. I don't give a crap about what pickups you like, I just said your idea of a good pickup might not be someone elses idea of a good pickup. I think my 1963 SG Special I've had since 1989 knows a thing or two about a hot single coil.

Next time try reading what I'm saying before getting all defensive.
                Last edited by DonP; 12-25-2009, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Wow, DonP is in the Christmas spirit!
                  Seriously, Lizardkinged, if you read DonP's post, it was stating that you can't call a pup swap an upgrade, because some people like pups that sound horrible to others, and vice-versa. It's all about what pickup sounds good to YOUR ear for YOUR style. It may or may not be good for someone else. Just calm down, he wasn't taking a stab at you, just trying to let you know that modifying things will not necessarily increase the value of the guitar. (Usually decreases it, actually.) If those P90s sound good to you for what you play, then keep 'em and it IS an upgrade for you.
                  My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Oh its not about the truth man. its about the way you spoke about it. Your arrogance only exceeds your bad attitude, and dirty mouth.

I wanted to know if I got a good deal or not man. thats why i asked. Do you see it in the Classifieds? Not for sale.

I know what he was trying to say. But I only asked one simple question. I didn't ask for DonP's life lessons and a bad attitude.

Take Trem's Post for example. Polite. Simple. . . to the point. . . and not a whole bunch of off topic crap heckling that i didnt ask for.

All you had to say was

"somewhere around 200 stock w/case, Maybe less with mods."

Not "blah blah I've got some definitive opinion, how can you call that an upgrade, let me nit pick this post and see what else i can say to hear myself talk."

Go stroke your Ego someplace else buddy.
                    Last edited by Lizardkinged; 12-26-2009, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Chill out, new guy. You're going to get a lot more useful responses by just waiting for more people to read your post than buy trying to butt heads with an established forum member. Many people have gone down that road, and usually gain nothing from it.

Now then, it's true that a pickup swap will not do much one way or another for the value of a guitar. Frankly, few if any part replacements will. If you had a collector's item on your hands, keeping it 100% stock would be the best choice, but for a typical player, selling price comes down to what a prospective buyer is looking for. Someone who plans to gut it and install all their own parts will look for the lowest price on a guitar in the best condition, but someone who wants very specific pickups and hardware might pay more - even compromising condition - to get those parts already installed.

If you're not planning to sell it, and can afford to experiment with part swaps, then by all means go for it. But unless someone was in the market to buy that exact guitar with the exact mods you have in mind, you'd probably be looking at around $200-300 resale value.
                      sigpic

Comment

not to be a dick or anything, but if they put P90's in the pro mod Charvels, they would sell like crazy.
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                          not to be a dick or anything, but if they put P90's in the pro mod Charvels, they would sell like crazy.

both bridge pickups?
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Oh its not about the truth man. its about the way you spoke about it. Your arrogance only exceeds your bad attitude, and dirty mouth.

I wanted to know if I got a good deal or not man. thats why i asked. Do you see it in the Classifieds? Not for sale.

I know what he was trying to say. But I only asked one simple question. I didn't ask for DonP's life lessons and a bad attitude.

Take Trem's Post for example. Polite. Simple. . . to the point. . . and not a whole bunch of off topic crap heckling that i didnt ask for.

All you had to say was

"somewhere around 200 stock w/case, Maybe less with mods."

Not "blah blah I've got some definitive opinion, how can you call that an upgrade, let me nit pick this post and see what else i can say to hear myself talk."

Go stroke your Ego someplace else buddy.
                            Dude, step off!

I don't know why you seem to give a crap if I think you are trying to sell it. I don't.

I went back and re-read my orginal post. Maybe you should.

I invite everyone on the forum to read my first reply to you and ask them if I was arrogant, had a bad attitude, or a dirty mouth.

You asked what is it worth today, and what is it worth is you "upgraded" to P90s. I said changing the pickups won't help the price, and might hurt it. I gave you the price before and the price after, just like you wanted. I guess it hurt your fellings because I didn't sugar coat the truth for you.

Comment

Confucius say: man who asks how much guitar is worth is about to sell said guitar.
                              "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion."

Comment

Working...
                              X