Help with Strats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
    of the MIMs, my fave is the Deluxe Player. medium jumbos & a flatter radius - feels almost like my Models....
    The Deluxe Player is a great guitar. Why did I get rid of mine again?!?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
      Other than the electronics that are somewhat better on the USA's (debatable, but swapping is easy), I like the MIM's better. I like maple necks and personally like the lighter clear satin, less glossy MIM finish over the USA "vintage" (yellower looking) glossy finish.
      My '01 USA Double Fat Strat has a matte satin finish on its neck.

Comment

I started out looking at Mexi strats.Played a few. Some were ok.some were bad. I played a few USA models.They were nice but I tried this USA deluxe that was incredilble. Then I tried a few more Mexis and it just wasn't the same. I had to have it Its now my favorite. I don't know if its just the setup or what but there was a difference between every one I played. I couldn't find a mexi that I could live with or I would have bought it. I wanted a hum in the bridge but didn't like any of them that I played. I bought this one and I put a Dimarzio fast track 2 in the bridge.Love it! The satin neck is heavenly. S1 switching option is great as well.

Comment

If you are willing to look at stacked/single size humbuckers, I'd recommend checking out the Billy Corgan sig below. Spec-wise I like the features. (Big headstock, fixed bridge, nitro finish, stacked buckers.)
          http://www.fender.com/products//sear...tno=0115002806
          Last edited by Hellbat; 08-24-2009, 03:48 PM.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
            My preference is maple boarded with a bridge humbucker. I know I can swap pickups, but I'd rather not mod if I don't have to. I played a '97 California Series earlier that was fantastic, but pricey. Any suggestions for models I should look into?
            I would check out the roadworn 50's. Or the Classic 50's and drop in a rail Super Distortion in the bridge.

The Roadworn got bigger frets, but I think the relicing they did on the maple board looks like complete shit. If you were open to rosewood, then go with the roadworn 60's and drop in a bucker - the 60s roadworns look 100x better to me.

If you can deal with the tiny vintage frets, then get the regular classic 50's or 70's.

You also get a nitro finish on the roadworns, if that matters to you. The regular classic models are poly.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

The Robert Cray hardtails are pretty nice strats and really don't command a huge price last time I looked. I think they are either medium or medium jumbo frets though.

Comment

Musicians Friend had the black 50's road worn for $600 something (between 600 and 699 - i forget) last Friday for "Fender Friday." Definately do not pull the trigger for MAP.
                Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  If you are willing to look at stacked/single size humbuckers, I'd recommend checking out the Billy Corgan sig below. Spec-wise I like the features. (Big headstock, fixed bridge, nitro finish, stacked buckers.)
                  http://www.fender.com/products//sear...tno=0115002806
                  That looks cool - not the biggest fan of Corgan's tone, but worth a look, eh?

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody!
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Get a Jap Strat. I've play more than a few USAs and the Crafted in Japan strats blow the USAs away in playability IMO. I have 2, an 80s with a Kahler Spyder and a Iron Maiden Strat and love them both. They both play amazingly and I have never found a USA that played as good as either of these. You may have to put a bucker in the bridge but you'll be happy with the quality and playability if a CIJ or MIJ strat.
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

I agree find an old MIJ strat and drop a little 59 in the bridge and use a 500k vol pot and off you go.The old MIJ strats are the tits.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                        That looks cool - not the biggest fan of Corgan's tone, but worth a look, eh?

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody!
                        I forgot about the Corgan model. Those look sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                          Get a Jap Strat. I've play more than a few USAs and the Crafted in Japan strats blow the USAs away in playability IMO. I have 2, an 80s with a Kahler Spyder and a Iron Maiden Strat and love them both. They both play amazingly and I have never found a USA that played as good as either of these. You may have to put a bucker in the bridge but you'll be happy with the quality and playability if a CIJ or MIJ strat.
                          There's plenty of MIJ turds out there. Exercize caution.

I've got an amazing MIJ neck that came on a POS fotoflame body.

I had a complete dog floyded '62 RI style.
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Good point GT stay away from the Floyd model because the used the vintage radius necks and that with a Floyd is not a good combination.
                            The foto flames are nice to look at only a few are worth any money.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The ols MIJ I have has a Kahler Spyder on it and the radius seems really flat for a Fender. My Maiden Strats seems the same. I bend notes like crazy on them and I dont fret out.
                              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                                The ols MIJ I have has a Kahler Spyder on it and the radius seems really flat for a Fender. My Maiden Strats seems the same. I bend notes like crazy on them and I dont fret out.
                                Well, if it's an HM Strat the radius is 17" and yes, that is flat.

Comment

Working...
                                X