Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any replacement necks that are comparable to the San Dimas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any replacement necks that are comparable to the San Dimas?

I'm looking at getting a replacement neck for my homemade strat-type custom job. Ideally I'd like a San Dimas, but the price ($300+) and the limited availability are making me look elsewhere. Have checked out the Musikraft site and a couple of others, but obviously buying online without feeling a neck is a risky business. I wondered if anybody has found a neck that, in terms of feel, finish and quality is comparable to the SD? Thanks for any info.

There are places that can get close but most of them can do the profile that's mostly seen on the pointies. If you want that rolled feeling that these promods have it's going to cost you more that what the necks are going for on ebay.

Comment

Here: These guys are awesome and offer heavy rolled edges and have a bunch of different back contours and they offer a 2 1/4 heel or a standard 2 3/16 heel.

https://www.musikraft.com/

Comment

I have a Musikraft neck and it's awesome.
        Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
        www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

The Musikraft custom options look a bit confusing, not sure what I should be choosing for the back profile and a few other things. I'm looking at their Charvel neck page.....

https://www.musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid69.html

And if you add the options of a San Dimas (the 12-16" compound radius is +$25, quarter sawn maple +$35, etc, etc), you seem to be getting close to what a new San Dimas neck goes for on Ebay.

Comment

yeah that's true.

But recently the only Charvel Pro Necks I have seen on the Bay have been 400+ and I did one almost the same stats that was close to the Charvel through Musikcraft for 290 + shipping. (On the Setup Sheet)

Also you might want and check out Warmoth,com if you havent already, they might be alittle more then musikcraft and wont have rolled edges, tho im not 100% on that you might call them and ask because i know warmoth has more options that they dont list on there web site if you talk them direct. Warmoth is a really great parts Company too.

IMO, if the Charvel Pro Neck is your be all end all neck, then maybe you should try and get one off evilbay or whatever.

But what I would do is try and a play bunch of differant neck shapes and find the one that fits YOU and have one custom built through Warmoth, Musikraft, All-Parts or whoever. Honestly for 400 bucks you can have a really nice neck tailored to you. Unless of course the Charvel neck is it.

Well thats my 2 cents, I hope it helped

Good Luck
            Last edited by SChristiansen; 08-24-2009, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Those charvel necks BINs at 400 include the tuners and nut. Add that to the cost of a musikraft neck. I am coming up with $330 for the musikraft neck myself before shipping. at 290 you missing something.

Comment

I have many of the Musikraft necks and in several profile backshapes (Thin C, Med. C and Chunky C), . Their standard "Thin C" is the closest to a true San Dimas profile IMO. Musikraft's attributes regarding Charvel, have been spot on in my experience.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                  Those charvel necks BINs at 400 include the tuners and nut. Add that to the cost of a musikraft neck. I am coming up with $330 for the musikraft neck myself before shipping. at 290 you missing something.
                  Here's my setup pretty much dead on to the Pro Series Charvel Neck for $290 bucks.

Head Stock Orientation: Right for Right Handed Players
                  Scale: 25-1/2" Standard Fender
                  Number of Frets: 22 With FB Extenion
                  Nut Width: 1-11/16"
                  Heel Width: Custom 2-1/4"
                  Neck Wood: Quarter Sawn Maple + $35
                  Tuner Hole Size: Gotoh/Scaller/Sperzel 10 mm
                  Trussrod Option: Duel Acting Adjust at Heel
                  Finger Board Radius: Compound 12-16 + $25
                  Finger Board Inlay Top: Black Phenolic
                  Finger Board Inlay Side Markers: Black
                  12th Dot Spacing: Wide 1.035 Pre 1964 Style
                  Fret Size and Type: Med Jumbo 6150 .104 X .047
                  Nut Style: Floyd W/O Holes +$20
                  Back Profile Thickness @ the 1st and 12th Fret: Thin C .79 to .89
                  Custom Up-Charges: None
                  Nut Installation Option: NONE No Nut Installed
                  Finish: Sealed with Shellac
                  Additional Options: Heavy Rolled Finger Board Edges + $15, 4 Neck Mouting Holes Drilled
                  Shipping Option/Delivery Signature Required: Signature Required (NO)
                  Comments Section: s

Comment

Originally posted by SChristiansen View Post
                    Here's my setup pretty much dead on to the Pro Series Charvel Neck for $290 bucks.

Finish: Sealed with Shellac
                    Well that just ruined it.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Whatever Musikraft is using for Shellac feels a lot like Birchwood Casey Gunstock Oil, which actually is a shellac. The finish seems fine to me. I just received a neck from them with the new shellac finish, which is also removable with denatured alcohol by the way.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

try jumbo frets( no upcharge)
                        I used the tung oil finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonious View Post
                          I'm looking at getting a replacement neck for my homemade strat-type custom job. Ideally I'd like a San Dimas, but the price ($300+) and the limited availability are making me look elsewhere. Have checked out the Musikraft site and a couple of others, but obviously buying online without feeling a neck is a risky business. I wondered if anybody has found a neck that, in terms of feel, finish and quality is comparable to the SD? Thanks for any info.
                          Make sure the neck heel is the same width of the body pocket. If it is a Charvel Pro Mod body the pocket is 2 1/4". However, some generic strat bodies also have a 2 3/16" neck pocket. Just make sure you are getting a neck heel that matches your body pocket, otherwise it won't fit properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                            Well that just ruined it.
                            ...and PART II...

Originally posted by SChristiansen View Post

Trussrod Option: Duel Acting Adjust at Heel

Comment

Orion Finishing is the finishing arm of Musikraft and are excellent. I was there this weekend picking up some jobs since I am in NJ, too. Anyhow, they have 2 SD style necks there that are just ridiculous. Think of them like "Musikraft Private Stock"!! I noticed that Orion listed one of them on the Evilbay this weekend as item 260473157460. If anyone wants a SD neck that is off the charts, get a hold of one of these necks. That's it for my Public Service Announcement

Comment

Working...
                              X