new Taylor and something odd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Taylor and something odd

I finally got a Taylor, an '05 314ce off eSlay, actually asking the seller, a music store, for a few bucks back since they failed to list a big side bout ding and a couple of other issues, but not deal killers, as it's a pretty nice guitar once I cleaned it up, oiled the fb, and changed the action from wtf to something reasonable. I love the color of the top.

the odd thing was how this guitar was set up. the nut is normal but the bridge saddle was cut way high on the bass E side and way low on the high e side. completely fucked the action IMO, and I had to pull the saddle (are these bone? they clink when you drop them on a desk, say) and grind off part of the bottom to level it until I got it to sit evenly in the slot so both E strings are about the same relief. plays so much better now.

so why would someone set it up like that, super high low E and super low on the high e? I'm assuming there must be a reason, b/c the saddle was cut that way? I considered slide play, but you raise all the strings for that, not just the bass strings while lowering the high e right?... would be curious if anyone knows.

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Some guitars are sometimes set up kinda like that to compensate for string buzz on the wound strings. Most of my guitars are set up like that, in fact.

However, I don't go THAT overboard with the set up. The wound strings will be higher, but not much. if anything, I'll lower the plain strings more than anything else.

Comment

Taylors always make me jealous!

Comment

thanks bigz. I hear you.

it IS a beautifully made guitar.

I knew I wanted a Taylor but not much more about them, like what models where what, but once I learned the 100 and 200 series are MIM with laminate backs/sides, I tried for a USA-made 314 with the solid woods and was able to snipe one out of the pack on the bay.

had to sell two of my electrics but it was worth it.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Could have been a B stock guitar with a twisted neck?

just kidding

C

Comment

I didn't know that about the 100s and 200s, good to know.

My problem is the first Taylor I ever played was my friend's 814CE, now that is all I want!!!

Comment

Working...
            X