Dave Murray-Inspired By

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Murray-Inspired By

Another Bengal custom shop inspired by The Dave Murray version Fender didn't build
    I wanted this version, so I invaded the spares cabinet, called Warmoth for a Maple capped (yep, maple top under the black) Alder body for top mount Floyd and obtained a Mighty Mite neck (which are pretty nice and dead straight), 22 Fret, 9.5" R, Medium Jumbo frets. The neck was finished with Gunstock Oil. I was really impressed with the nut shelf rout. It allowed a .006" action over the first fret, which I like. So, no shimming of the nut was needed. I wanted to keep this build as least costly as I could without sacrificing quality or playability.
    For PUP's Mr. Duncan recommended the Cool Rails in the neck, Vintage Rails in the middle and Hot Rails in the bridge for versatility.
    I worked over the fret ends with the Dremel polishing wheel and the neck was good to go. The neck heel fit took sometime as I like a snug "gunsmith'd" fit.
    Plays like a dream after I set the intonation. I need to still polish her up as she just got off the bench for pics.

Ok, now off to finish the Blackmore
    Last edited by Bengal65; 08-14-2009, 09:50 AM.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

pretty cool!!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I would have gone Hot Rails throughout - I think Cool Rails sound like snot.

Good stuff - but why the maple capped body?
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        I would have gone Hot Rails throughout - I think Cool Rails sound like snot.

Good stuff - but why the maple capped body?
        Cool Rails sound good. It just depends on the amp and effects and the tone your going for with that pickup. I was going for a smoother neck pickup, as well as the Vintage middle. It balances well with the "Hot" version in the bridge.

I wanted the maple cap, just because No, really I wanted to add a little brightness with the addition of the maple. It just gives a tiny bit more treble response to the Alder body.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Very nice! I have a GMW which I converted to the same specs...
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Cool and I agree with your pup choice. Three Hotrails would be a waste of time. Even two in the SL3 of mine were a waste of time. The Vintage Rails will give you that bit more versatility and mean you actually USE the middle pickup.

Good stuff mate!
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Correct Mr. Barre! In a similar case, I have a couple guitars I put DiMarzio SDS-1's in the neck and middle, ala Jake E. Lee. They are so in your face hot, they just don't sound good, especially switching from the bridge Pup. They are too edgy and hot for those positions IMO. Switching from the bridge to the neck or middle is like a bomb going off

This Duncan combination has a nice transition and give the true Strat sound at the same time in the neck and middle positions.

Comment

Working...
              X