Thinking out my Dave Murry inspired guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking out my Dave Murry inspired guitar

So after the thread on the main Jackson forum about Dave Murry's strat in the Holy Smoke video I have decided to start a warmoth build. There's a couple things I'm not sure about yet (I think it was answered in that thread so I'll go back and update later)

Keep in mind, this is INSPIRED. not an exact replica

Warmoth
    Strat body Poplar (I like the weight more then alder and it sounds the same)
    HSH
    Non Recessed OFR in Chrome
    I need to look up the pickups from that thread

Now on the neck, I don't know much about necks, so a three piece neck stronger then a one piece maple neck? I'm not sure what options Warmoth has, since i have never thought that much into it. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

I am going with an angled reverse strat head, Chrome R3 nut 1 11/16
    Maple board, and it looked like he had black dots, I am thinking abalony(even if I can't spell it and too lazy to look it up right now)

If she ever gets back to me I'm going to (hopefully) get Daneen Bronson to do a metallic Burgandy pain job on it. I don't know of any other local painters else I might shop around.

thats that... Might also do a three ply pickguard, couldn't tell what his was in that video. may see if I can get one in blackredblack
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

My specs for it:

- Alder Jackson strat body, top route, H-S-H or universal, top mount floyd, side mount jack, metallic burgundy
    - Jackson strat neck, 22 frets, maple - 1 piece, rear loaded trus rod, 12-16" compound radius, floyd nut, black markers, thin C profile, quartersawn
    - Black pickguard, chrome tuners (gotoh) and Floyd
    - Dimarzio Super Distortion bridge - whatever single - Super Distortion neck (swap out for a Dimarzio PAF for enhanced usability)

Personally, I'd use someone besides Warmoth in order to get a Jackson sized neck pocket and body edge radius. Warmoth won't change their basic template. Musicraft will do it, I'm pretty sure. Warmoth will also not do quartersawn necks on request (at least as far as I remember)
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
      Strat body Poplar (I like the weight more then alder and it sounds the same)
      Make sure you ask for a heavier poplar body, because not all poplar is heavier than alder. My Dinky HX is made of poplar, and it's extremely light.
      I'd personally go with alder, but see if they have something a little heavier, give them a weight range that you're looking for.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yeah, my Adrian Smith is Alder and its a boat anchor.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
        X