warmoth guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warmoth guitars

i've been poking around on the warmoth site and they do some killer work. i know everybody loves their necks but i dont know anyone that's built a complete axe with their stuff. here's my plan at the moment.

les paul body - mahogony
    les paul neck - either maple or maple with ebony fretboard unfinished or satin finish (haven't decided on neck specs yet)
    EMG 61/80's chrome
    all chrome gotoh hardware

i priced it out and i think it'll run me about $1800. has anybody here built a complete guitar from their stuff.

the second thing is this. my big gorilla paws have trouble with intricate soloing in the smaller fret range. i just get hung up a lot.

are there design elements that i could have in the neck to help compensate for my genetic ham fist defect?
    good tone isn't something you learn, its something you develop.

A - This guy just did: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96637

B - Fender scale and tall/thin frets. Wide jumbos on a Gibson scale neck can feel cramped in the upper register.

Opinion - that's too much to spend on a sourced parts guitar. Buy a Gibson instead or go to any number of small custom builders who can probably do better than that. A Les Paul with a bolt on neck is silly.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

+1

Not that it wouldnt be nice, but if you ever wanted to sell it you would never get your money back on it.

Comment

B - Fender scale and tall/thin frets. Wide jumbos on a Gibson scale neck can feel cramped in the upper register.
        i was thinking tall thin frets might work well because i seem to have a much easier time with my telecaster than with my RR5 sometimes.

Opinion - that's too much to spend on a sourced parts guitar. Buy a Gibson instead or go to any number of small custom builders who can probably do better than that. A Les Paul with a bolt on neck is silly.
        well here are my thoughts on that. if i could find someone that could build me the les paul i wanted down to the neck materials, frets, scale, and finish loaded with the emg 81/60's and the paint job i wanted for under (roughly) $1800 i'd more jump at it. so with that said please if you know of anyone i'm all for it

outside of that the axe would be for me so short of economic hardship i'd hang on to it for many years.

question: why would a les paul with a bolt on neck be a bad thing? i know it isn't traditional but is there any other reason outside of "its just not the les paul way"?

thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          Buy a Gibson instead or go to any number of small custom builders who can probably do better than that. A Les Paul with a bolt on neck is silly.
          I am the guy who built the Warmoth. I will say that the parts are quality but, it still needed finish work to make everything perfect so, make sure that you figure any of that into your numbers.

But, if you are shooting for a gibson start picking through the boneyard of used gibsons/eppi's until you find something that jives with you then start upgrading the parts. I personally hate 95% percent of the Les Pauls that are out there but, every once in a while you find that one that just resonates with you. So, search long and hard for that one.

-Nate
          Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by Killertofu View Post
            i've been poking around on the warmoth site and they do some killer work. i know everybody loves their necks but i dont know anyone that's built a complete axe with their stuff. here's my plan at the moment.

les paul body - mahogony
            les paul neck - either maple or maple with ebony fretboard unfinished or satin finish (haven't decided on neck specs yet)
            EMG 61/80's chrome
            all chrome gotoh hardware

i priced it out and i think it'll run me about $1800. has anybody here built a complete guitar from their stuff.

the second thing is this. my big gorilla paws have trouble with intricate soloing in the smaller fret range. i just get hung up a lot.

are there design elements that i could have in the neck to help compensate for my genetic ham fist defect?

I have a Warmoth soloist I built and it's an incredible player. DocRoc has built more Warmoths then i can count. I'm going to start on two other warmoth builds soon, a Firebird and another soloist.
            In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

I built a Warmoth. Very high quality parts. Terrible resale value. If you want something unusual or just want to tinker, and plan to never sell it, it's a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
                But, if you are shooting for a gibson start picking through the boneyard of used gibsons/eppi's until you find something that jives with you then start upgrading the parts. I personally hate 95% percent of the Les Pauls that are out there but, every once in a while you find that one that just resonates with you. So, search long and hard for that one.
                im not shooting for a gibby, i just like the les paul shape and want the neck and pickups that would probably require custom stuff. the closest thing gibson makes to what i want is the ZW sig bullseye but i stop at the price tag, nevermind the fact that i dont want gold hardware and that the guitar would be wasted on me

then there is the epiphone prophecy which is ALMOST what i want but i thas 81/85's, a painted satin neck, and its a 24 fret neck. i haven't been able to find one to play but since i'm really looking into a neck that fits my big clumsy hands perfectly i'm afraid of paying 800 bucks for an epiphone that (while great) isn't what i want exactly.

for now im throwing a JB in my telecaster and seeing how that floats down the river till i figure out exactly what i want.

Comment

my dad has a warmoth iceman that thing is amazing

Comment

The thing with Warmoth builds... they are custom builds.
                    You get to choose every aspect of the build.
                    So, when you get it all put together take that into consideration.
                    Meaning, your gonna wish you wouldn't have done this or that and be disappointed
                    OR its gonna play like a dream.
                    So, research everything out carefully and wisely.
                    Even if it means finding out the specs of various necks and etc you like and use those specs toward the build or whatever. You get the point.

When its all said and done you will either not like it or you'll love it.
                    So, if you don't like it as already mentioned, they have no resale value.
                    Nuff said.
                    Good luck with your build.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

i'm leaning now towards a telecaster with EMG 60/81's loaded in it.

i appreciate the info from you guys. all i need to do is figure out what neck i want.

Comment

i'm leaning now towards a telecaster with EMG 60/81's loaded in it.

i appreciate the info from you guys. all i need to do is figure out what neck i want.
                        or a jim root tele?
                        no sig.....

Comment

Last I counted it was 17 Warmoth's and 16 Musikrafts. You can't really go wrong with Warmoth. And among the parts mfgrs., the least in final prep work.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i just got off the phone with warmoth. they're developing a carved top tele with a chambered body. i'm thinking that'll be the way to go for me.

i checked out the jim root tele and it just isn't the style i'm wanting. there's something about the irony of a telecaster that can just rip your guts out that has always fascinated me.

Comment

im not shooting for a gibby, i just like the les paul shape and want the neck and pickups that would probably require custom stuff. the closest thing gibson makes to what i want is the ZW sig bullseye but i stop at the price tag, nevermind the fact that i dont want gold hardware and that the guitar would be wasted on me

then there is the epiphone prophecy which is ALMOST what i want but i thas 81/85's, a painted satin neck, and its a 24 fret neck. i haven't been able to find one to play but since i'm really looking into a neck that fits my big clumsy hands perfectly i'm afraid of paying 800 bucks for an epiphone that (while great) isn't what i want exactly.

for now im throwing a JB in my telecaster and seeing how that floats down the river till i figure out exactly what i want.
                              you kno epiphone makes a zw sig right?

Comment

Working...
                              X