LP Deluxe post-desecration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP Deluxe post-desecration.

I finally finished molesting my 1980 LP Deluxe. I bought this a few months back basically as a shell. The only hardware included were the Deluxe Klusons (the expensive sealed ones), and the pickup mounting plates. I bought a brand new Gibson mini humbucker for the neck, and a SD mini for the bridge. I was optimistic, but having never tried minis before, I didn't know what to expect. Well, after amassing all the other stuff I needed, I put the guitar together, and was extremely disappointed. The minis sound thin, brittle, and weak. I had 2 options: sell the guitar and try to find a Standard or Classic for the same price, or do the unthinkable, and take the router to this poor old guitar, and throw in some proper pickups. Given that I really like how the guitar feels and plays, I decided to make some sawdust.

Here's the result: Duncan Custom in the bridge, and 59 in the neck, and yes, it sounds fucking awesome!! Plus, it now looks like a proper Les Paul.

Those minis really sounded atrocious!!
    Last edited by zeegler; 08-01-2009, 01:08 PM.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

I knew a guy who had a Les Paul with mini's in it. He had the most horrible twangy tone you could imagine, and if I took his guitar and plugged it into my amp, and I played it, it still sounded twangy and horrible, so it wasn't him.

Just wait, as long as they manage not to OD, Zakk and Slash will lose their popularity eventually and we'll all be choking on $500 used Les Pauls again so don't feel bad about "ruining" that one.

Comment

I had a 74 SG with the minis and I have to agree.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

just change the trussrod cover and youve got a standard. Pickups were the only difference anyway.
        Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

looks great...sweet LP std now
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I think I would have sold it with the mini's and bought a another that you liked with the $. Have you seen what the deluxes are going for now? I have a "78" Norlin Deluxe that I think sounds great. I use for clean jazzy type stuff. Definately not a rock or shred guitar but it has its place. The soloist or LP studio covers the rock stuff and the strat ...well is a strat can go just about anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
              I decided to make some sawdust.
              Fuckin' A.

Nice job, sir!

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Great job! Though, I would have left the mini in the neck and just went with a humbucker in the bridge.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Great job! Though, I would have left the mini in the neck and just went with a humbucker in the bridge.
                  Well, the Gibson mini would never sound as thick and creamy as the 59, and plus that would look funny. :ROTF:

Originally posted by sully View Post
                  Fuckin' A.

Nice job, sir!

sully
                  Thanks Sully

Comment

No prob, sir! You had me at "I decided to make some sawdust." Love that.

I think the full sized hum + a mini hum would look like a Les Paul version of hum single.

Hey, how's that Lazer build going?

Sully
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

No prob, sir! You had me at "I decided to make some sawdust." Love that.

I think the full sized hum + a mini hum would look like a Les Paul version of hum single.

Hey, how's that Lazer build going?

Sully
                      It's actually really close to being finished. That's usually when my projects sit around for months waiting for me to get around to finishing them.

All I have to do, is drill the holes for the bridge studs, and string-thru ferrules, install the frets, and it will be ready for paint/finishing. I'll probably get to it in a couple of weeks. I still have to finish up the white Explorer project too. That one just needs inlays, frets, buffing, and hardware installed.

Comment

Well, the Gibson mini would never sound as thick and creamy as the 59, and plus that would look funny. :ROTF:
                        True. It looked cool on Adrian Smith's goldtop!
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's actually really close to being finished. That's usually when my projects sit around for months waiting for me to get around to finishing them.

All I have to do, is drill the holes for the bridge studs, and string-thru ferrules, install the frets, and it will be ready for paint/finishing. I'll probably get to it in a couple of weeks. I still have to finish up the white Explorer project too. That one just needs inlays, frets, buffing, and hardware installed.
                          We're very alike in that....I'll usually get something done up to paint, and then I'll see a bright, shiny object.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

We're very alike in that....I'll usually get something done up to paint, and then I'll see a bright, shiny object.

sully
                            Yeah, I'm easily distracted.

I Have a Peavey Destiny that I got off Ebay YEARS ago. It had a headstock break (with the broken piece missing), and the frets were worn literally down to the board. I repaired the headstock, installed new frets, sanded off the badly abused paint, and it sat collecting dust for 6 or 7 years I think. I finally painted it, and installed all the hardware a couple of weeks ago. I just have to do some minor fret work, and wire the pickups and it will be done. I guess I should post some pics of that too.

Comment

Nice,Zeegs.To me,you rescued that Les Paul...............
                              Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Working...
                              X