New guitar day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guitar day

I saw this guitar about a year and a half ago and hoped it was still there when i got the money for it. I had recieved som einheritance money and decided to check the website for the store to see if it was still there. And it was. So i went to check it out. It needs alot more TLC than the DK1 i just picked up but over all im excited about this guitars promise. With
    out further ado. I introduce you to the beauty and the beast.

The beast

The beauty

From what i can tell it's an early 80's US made Schecter. unfortunately there isnt a serial number on the neck plate. But im hoping when i take it aprt there will be some sort of serial or date or something on it some where. The blue finish is original to the guitar. as is the matching headstock. The graphic was added later then re-cleared. Some of the clear coat is chipped pretty bad and can be flaked off with a finger nail. So i may strip it down to the origianl finish or strip it completely down to the wood. I have a particular pain job in mind for this bad boy. BTW the Floyd was added , it used ot be a vintage trem. And the tuners are ibanez. The pups are old Dimarzio's with out the model number stamped in it. Just the typical Dimarzio stamp on the back. The neck pup seems dead. But the bridge pup reads about 8.6ish on the meter. So its probablu an old Paf clsc. Oddly enough it doesnt have any screw head poles on it. There all slug. Im hoping they both work and it just needs to be cleaned and rewired with a new switch. You know when youve been thinking about a guitar for over a year and its still there that it was meant to be. So im happy
    Plus I got this really cool anadized pick guard. for a strat. Its a red, white, and black striped and splattered pick guard. Sounds weird i know but its cool. I 'll have to get a pic of it and show ya. Its said to be the only one in exsistance.
    Gil

Dude. That's awesome.

Comment

This great axe is sweating 80s. If it was mine I wouldn´t change a thing and do just a setup. My .02 cents.

Comment

That's badass Gil. Keep us abreast on the progress.

Comment

Cool - saw that on JC's site for about the last 5 years or so.

Comment

cool guitar
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Tits should be on the front!

Nice score, bro!
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Hamer used to fill the DiMarzio poles with solder.Why I don't know but I had a couple of old super D's that were done that way.
                Cool guitar I like it.
                Usually the Shecters parts guitars that were built at dealers will have the blank neck plates.A dealer close to me has several that have no ser#
                Last edited by straycat; 07-19-2009, 04:13 PM.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

that is beyond words cool......
                  "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Thanks guys. Since its already been kinda modded it doesn really have a huge vintage value anymore. So i dont really have a problem with painting it. Just not sure if i want to strip it completely or go the lazy way out and just spray over it. Which will probably kill the tone. The pups are weird as they have slug poles on both coils. Not typical of Dimarzio at all. At least not from what i've ever seen. Any body have any ideas what they could be? I need to disconnect them and get a proper reading on them to see for sure. But the bridge measures about 8.5k on a meter and the neck pup ives me a false reading so it could be dead. The bridge sounds like a PAF. but with faulty parts its hard to tell. As rich suggested i will keep ya all abreast of the progress.
                    And yeah its from JC's guitars. Nice guy and remembered me from over a year ago. when i was only in the store once. Must be the hair.
                    Gil

Comment

Gil, I had that guitar about 5 years ago and sold it to Justin at JC Guitars. I got it in a pawn shop in Jacksonville, FL. Killer paint and it was my first Strat head! Enjoy it.
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Cool i know a bit more of its history. However. Upon taking it apart i discovered its a Mighty Might body, and its Ash. Do you remember what the pups in it are? I had to pull the bridge pup apart cus it had a dead coil So i made another hybrid out of it. Unfortunately the bridge pup didnt work at all. But the one coil did. SO it was mated to a cream coil and Now is a Zebra. I cant wait to get it reinstalled in this guitar and hear what it sounds like.
                        Also with the body being a MM and the paint on the HS matching. Im beginning to wonder if it is a real Schecter neck. It's a nice neck so im not too concerned. But there are no mmarkings on the neck at all. So im mostly curious than anything. Any insight into its history would be great.
                        Gil

Comment

OK, I honestly can't remember if the body was a MM. I thought it was a Schecter that came stock in metallic blue and the beauty/beast was added later. Can't recall the pickups, maybe MM too?
                          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                          Gotta get away from here.
                          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The pups are Dimarzio's the base plates say "Dimarzio Pickups made in U.S.A."
                            I've done a bit of research and have only found a couple on ebay and Jem site i think.
                            The ones ive seen that look like the one i have are from mid to late 70's they dont seem to be gettin a lot of money on ebay tho. If they sound good why bother sellin em.
                            Gil

Comment

Ok here it is. Still has a couple minor tweaks needed but this is pretty much it in its finished state. The frets are so worn i can barely get grip on the string. So im tweaking the truss rod and action to find a happy medium. Plus i have to refit the control cover. The bridge pup i did another hybrid from the same washburn pup as the one i put in my frankenstien. But it sounds like it might be micrphonic on the black coil. (the dimarzio) So i have to mess with the wires and make sure i have the coils wired together properly. That should be fun. Other wise i may either swap out the pup for something differnt or gank another coil from something else and see what happens.
                              SO without further ado. Her she is.

Gil

Comment

Working...
                              X