NGD - Dave Murray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Dave Murray

Its done - traded my hardly played (by me lately) 78 Les Paul for a brand new Dave Murray Strat. Bad idea? Who cares - this fucking thing rocks!!! Scream for me New York!!!

Anyway - pics (I'll take better ones when I'm upstate):

Early review:

Holy new guitar smell - I love it. Nitro fiinish is a little sticky - but its humid here and it should get less so as I play it. No big.

Fit and finish is perfect - frets are well polished and nicely rounded. Body is light - gotta be 3.75 lbs, overall high 6 I would guess - but who cares about that?

Nice tweed G&G case.

Sounds killer - SD and PAF are about what you expect - guitar vibrates and sings - not a bad note on it. Big frets, low action, doesn't fret out on big bends. A very well put together and setup guitar.

This is a complete 180 for me because I played one that was just dead - so I was happy when I tried this out and it played great.

Nit pick - that stupid ass film they put on pickguards - give me a fucking break - it didn't all come off - some is stuck under knobs and under the humbucker rings - so a partial disassembly is required to get it all off - sucks.

Gotta go play it - more to come later.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

cograts bro, that rocks.
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Cool Sig axe!
      Drive Fast Cars & Play Cool Guitars!!!

Comment

Have fun.
        The trem isn't bad on these either.
        No floyd, but easier to work with IMO.
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Kickass! Do those really have a nitro finish?

Comment

love the vibe...nice grab..enjoy!

what is the neck profile/shape?
            www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
            My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Thanks for comments!

Originally posted by gtrbuyer View Post
              love the vibe...nice grab..enjoy!

what is the neck profile/shape?
              Its supposed to be a '57 style. Its a very very very soft V. You can barely tell. Its chunky. Its not rounded off - right now it feels like a brand new neck - so it'll take some sweat and finger grease to break it in.

Fatter than my ProMod neck - softer V than my MIJ '54 RI.

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Kickass! Do those really have a nitro finish?
              As long as you believe Fender!

http://www.fender.com/products//view...aster%26reg%3B

I had heard that they were doing nitro over a poly base coat - but that's anecdotal. I haven't chipped it (yet) to tell how thin it is - but i can see the seams in the wood at the right light angle.

It smells like nitro - it looks like nitro - it feels like nitro (sticky).

One thing you can tell is that the body shape is not the same as the Charvel ProMods (or the custom shops I was checking out today) - so whether or not they're made on the same line (ProMods and Fender Artist series - I know Artist series Fenders are not Fender Custom Shops), they change the router templates and bits. Its a vintage strat shape - tummy cut, arm contour, etc. I don't know what the bodys are like on the American Standard strats, but they look like they're vintage style as well.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

I should turn my Straight Six Strat into one of those. A pickup/pick guard change and polishing to remove the satin in the black and I would have that exact guitar. It even has Jumbo frets and a six screw V-trem.
                "Dear Dr. Bill,
                I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Sweet! That is exactly what a Dave Murry strat should look like. I'd be running to tthe hills and putting a 22 fret neck and a floyd on that baby tho
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Killer score and a nice trade! That guitar definitely looks like a nice player. Up the irons!

Comment

That looks awesome. I'm not really a strat man, but I'd love one of those things.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I always liked the vibe (creme pups) of Murray's guitar. Nice!

Comment

Working...
                        X