The Abominable Iceman (baritone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Abominable Iceman (baritone)

I was unhappy with my previous baritone build, so it became a standard guitar. The Floyd just didn't work well with the string tension. So I nabbed an Iceman body from Warmoth's "Screamin' Deals" section and mated it with the baritone bubinga neck that I had (that's why it has a locking nut).

The body is Mahogany and the neck is bubinga with an ebony fretboard and abalone dots. The bridge pup is a D-sonic and the neck a PAF 36th. Its wired for a master volume and independent tone controls.

I initially was going to call it "Iced Berry," but I think the Abominable Iceman fits it better, as its kind of an abomination.

The Guitars:
    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
    The Amps:
    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Originally posted by DocNrock View Post
    I was unhappy with my previous baritone build, so it became a standard guitar. The Floyd just didn't work well with the string tension. So I nabbed an Iceman body from Warmoth's "Screamin' Deals" section and mated it with the baritone bubinga neck that I had (that's why it has a locking nut).

The body is Mahogany and the neck is bubinga with an ebony fretboard and abalone dots. The bridge pup is a D-sonic and the neck a PAF 36th. Its wired for a master volume and independent tone controls.

I initially was going to call it "Iced Berry," but I think the Abominable Iceman fits it better, as its kind of an abomination.

This thread is the perfect place for me to ask this. What exactly is a baritone? I get that its longer scale or at least something that makes it lower sounding, but does it make the chords sound lower, or does it mean you get more tension, so downtuning works better?
    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonguy666 View Post
      This thread is the perfect place for me to ask this. What exactly is a baritone? I get that its longer scale or at least something that makes it lower sounding, but does it make the chords sound lower, or does it mean you get more tension, so downtuning works better?
      It allows you to use lower tunings like B standard and A standard without a dramatic loss of tension as well as really heavy string gauges. Check out the Dream Theater song "Panic Attack" for an example. Petrucci is playing in A sharp standard on a baritone.
      Last edited by Ben...; 06-30-2009, 08:52 PM.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
        It allows you to use lower tunings like B standard and A standard without a dramatic loss of tension as well as really heavy string gauges. Check out the Dream Theater song "Panic Attack" for an example. Petrucci is playing in A sharp standard on a baritone.
        Exactly. The neck is longer scale. Typical, although not yet standardized, baritone tuning is between A and B. Mine is tuned to B. The high B is 0.013 and the low B a 0.070.
        Last edited by DocNrock; 06-30-2009, 10:12 PM.
        The Guitars:
        Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
        The Amps:
        Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by DocNrock View Post
          Exactly. The neck is longer scale. Typical, although not yet standardized, baritone tuning is between A and B. Mine is tuned to B. The high B is 0.013 and the low B a 0.070.
          Well proportionatly speaking, i know how a 24 fret 25.5 feels with 9's. Sort of a slinky feel. With a baritone with probably 12's or 13's can i get that same feel? I am a shredder and thats all I really care about, but i have been interested in a baritone for awhile now, the PRS SE MIke Mushok, and was just wondering how a bari "shreds".
          I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Cool guitar. You need one of these nuts: http://www.allparts.com/store/nuts-s...23,Product.asp

I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
              Cool guitar. You need one of these nuts: http://www.allparts.com/store/nuts-s...23,Product.asp

That'll do.
              The Guitars:
              The Amps:

Comment

Working...
              X