Thoughts on current Carvins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on current Carvins?

What do you people think of Carvins? I've been in the market for a seven string and I can order a DC727 in the specs I want for less than what a new Schecter, Jackson, or Ibanez 7 costs here. I just filled in all I want and the estimate was 40 dollars less than the US price of a Schecter Loomis (It's 1399.99 here and 999.99 in the US). There also is a prebuilt DC747 I could also buy for a little more but it has a number of more expensive finish options. Either of these seem like the best option for me. Including a guess at shipping, the exchange rate and several other factors it will still be cheaper than the guitars I was considering ordering before. Plus it's made in the US as opposed to Korea like the Loomis. I just have a few things I'm wondering about Carvin.

The things I'm wondering are:

1) How long does it take for them to make the guitar on average?
    2) How does shipping work? I know you have to buy a case with the guitar. I found the page but I don't understand how it works for shipping to Canada.
    3) How is the build quality? From what I've heard it's really good so is what I've heard true?
    4) How is the neck compared to a Jackson Pro Series bolt-on. (Thickness, etc.)
    5) Does anyone know how long this current sale goes for? I'm not allowed to order a guitar until I have the funds so I won't be able to until mid-August. It seems like they've always had sales for ordering (Half price hardware and stuff)

Now for the fun part. Here's what my specs for my DC727 are looking like so far:

-Alder body/Maple Neck
    -Neck-through
    -Clear Gloss body/ headstock in either Classic White or Ferrari Red with matching headstock
    -Tung-oiled neck
    -Maple Fretboard with no inlays
    -Either Jumbo or Low-Wide frets
    -Strap-loks
    -Black Logo
    -Black Hardware
    -Custom Engraved Trussrod Cover with my name
    -The ABS case

The specs will probably change 200 times by the time I order it but I'm really liking it so far. I'm in no rush to get it but I would like to find out more about this company.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I just found out they pay import fees and taxes! YES!!!!

Double Edit: I'm getting matte/satin finish. It's soooooooo nice!

Here's a picture of a Ferrari Red DC727. The only difference in this one and the one I'm considering is it has a rosewood fretboard and rounded edges.

Last edited by Ben...; 06-09-2009, 02:35 PM.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

1) How long does it take for them to make the guitar on average?
    2) How does shipping work? I know you have to buy a case with the guitar. I found the page but I don't understand how it works for shipping to Canada.
    3) How is the build quality? From what I've heard it's really good so is what I've heard true?
    4) How is the neck compared to a Jackson Pro Series bolt-on. (Thickness, etc.)
    5) Does anyone know how long this current sale goes for? I'm not allowed to order a guitar until I have the funds so I won't be able to until mid-August. It seems like they've always had sales for ordering (Half price hardware and stuff)
    Answer 1 Right now the average is 4 - 7 weeks
    Answer 2 The Shipping is included with the cost of the guitar It will come via UPS (Hence the Joke BROWN TRUCK ALERT! )
    Answer 3 I love my Carvin DC127 Feels Great, Sounds Great, It is a Sustaining monster
    Answer 4 Neck profiles vary from one model to another. the 24 fret is a scale of 25 (However I noticed that the scale on the ST300 is a 24" scale) the 22 fret guitars are a 25.5" Scale. I will say that the DC Series is close to a Jackson from what I understand. I know I love it.
    Answer 5 That 1/2 off sale has been going on for a while (Back in 2007 since I remember)

I love my DC127. the build quality is amazing. (No I do not work for Carvin) I just love their Stuff

My only dis with Carvin is Floyd Rose trems are not available for lefty's

Why I have no clue.

I would go with the Stainless Steel Frets. they are amazing I have the SS Jumbos on mine.

My Carvin is located here

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...5&postcount=30
    Last edited by Southpaw; 06-09-2009, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm going to look into Stainless steel frets.

I really like your Carvin. Those all natural ones are so nice. I was looking at their gallery and now I'm thinking about that too.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Wow, that Carvin is sexy.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw View Post
          the 24 fret is a scale of 25 (However I noticed that the scale on the ST300 is a 24" scale) the 22 fret guitars are a 25.5" Scale. I will say that the DC Series is close to a Jackson from what I understand. I know I love it.
          Don't know where you've looked, but the DC727 and DC747 have 25.5" scales (so does the Allan Holdsworth model). And the ST300 is 25".

I plan on ordering a DC727 eventually, but probably with only one humbucker and one volume control. You can order any of their guitars like this, too. It's considered "Option 50" and you'll pay $50 for a different wiring, pickup or selector switch scheme, without coil tap switches, etc.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow - those red ones are actually the first Carvin's I've ever seen that I might like - put a 6-per-side headstock on it, though. I might have to play around on their site.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              Wow - those red ones are actually the first Carvin's I've ever seen that I might like - put a 6-per-side headstock on it, though. I might have to play around on their site.
              SC90 with an inline headstock? Here's mine.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

One of those is a seven. Seven-per-side Carvin headstock=huge!.

I found a picture of Ferrari Red with a maple board. Holy crap it's nice.

"Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

I've speced out a DC127 on their site more times than I can remember.

Southpaw - Do the stainless frets still wear down? Do they feel different than standard frets?
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    Southpaw - Do the stainless frets still wear down? Do they feel different than standard frets?
                    I'm wondering this as well. It's only 25 bucks more so I probably will get them if it's worth it.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

put a 6-per-side headstock on it, though.
                      you're after a 12 string then?
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Don't know where you've looked, but the DC727 and DC747 have 25.5" scales (so does the Allan Holdsworth model). And the ST300 is 25".

I plan on ordering a DC727 eventually, but probably with only one humbucker and one volume control. You can order any of their guitars like this, too. It's considered "Option 50" and you'll pay $50 for a different wiring, pickup or selector switch scheme, without coil tap switches, etc.
                        there must be a typo on the site then I looked here

here is where it says 24" Scale http://www.carvinguitars.com/isa/pro...hp?model=st300

and here is where it says 25
                        - Alder body and maple neck, neck-through
                        - Sperzel locking tuners
                        - 25" scale ebony fingerboard with white dot inlays
                        - 24 medium-jumbo frets
                        - C22B & C22J classic humbuckers
                        - Master volume & tone controls, 5-way pickup selector/coil splitter
                        - FT6 fixed bridge standard; M bridge, Bigsby vibrato, Floyd Rose tremolo, & Wilkinson tremolo available
                        - Chrome hardware standard

Gotta be a typo thanks for clearing that up

The Stainless steel frets show NO wear on them and I play this guitar a lot.

The SS Frets feel a lot smoother than normal Frets. They are just like butter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                          One of those is a seven. Seven-per-side Carvin headstock=huge!.

I found a picture of Ferrari Red with a maple board. Holy crap it's nice.

Yes I know that guitar

Another one I really like is this one.

Comment

Alright - I'm drooling over both. Toe - that is nice - really cool.

So, I thought Carvin's were cheap? I went on there site and spec'd out a couple that rang up around 1700 - 1900.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Oops misread...
                              Last edited by Ben...; 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM.
                              "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Working...
                              X