Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MeanStreet Custom Unchained (pics)

Bros,

I ordered a MeanStreet Unchained from Mitchel at www.MeanStreetGuitars.com and he built exactly what I wanted. These are the specs:

Alder body w/ quilted maple top (trans ruby red)
    Maple Neck/Fretboard (12" radius)
    Original Floyd Rose (gold)
    Seymour Duncan TB-6/SHR-1 pups
    Single push-pull volume control/pickup selector
    Set-up with Ernie Ball 10-46's in E flat

Before the review...here's some pics:

My first impressions were that it's a looker for sure. My camera can't really get the quilt all that well, but it's stunning in person. Red is also a hard color to photograph...it's a nice thick, dark red. Looks great with the gold hardware.

The chunky neck feels awesome. Frets are perfectly done and string bending is effortless. The action is not so low that it kills sustain, but not too high that it's a chore to play. A nice slightly-above-low setup with the Floyd sitting perfectly flush with the body. Everything on this guitar just works together perfectly and is a joy to play.

The sound is great, as to be expected with the alder body and Seymour Duncan pups. The Distortion in the bridge is really chunky but smoothes out as you roll down the volume and the Hot Rails in the neck can do everything from bell-like Strat tones to raunchy Lynch-esque leads. Great hard rock guitar.

I'm very happy. For just over a grand Mitchel made my dream guitar. This is the Kramer you've always wished would've been built, but it has its own thing goin' on. Even if you're not a Van Halen fan, I can't recommend Mitchel's work enough.

(and by the way...I actually prefer this guitar over my Custom Shop Dinky)

If you've ever been curious for a MeanStreet, I can tell you to not be afraid to do business with him. Very friendly and professional and he really puts his heart into what he does.

Highly recommended.
    -David

Now that is sexy.

Love the color combo too.
    -Rick

Comment

Very NICE..BUT can you play "Meanstreet" ?? During my live solo, I had this trademark thing I did by slapping the intro of Meanstreet with my pud..the people loved it. Except once at Guitarmegeddon I was disqualified because I did a "lude act" during my performance. I don't get it, "lude act"?? ..your pud is an appendage just like an arm, leg, finger, or toe..I mean..WTF??!!..Ya'know!!:think:

Very nice guitar bro..I would love to slap it with my pud!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

That's such a nice guitar! Only a thousand bucks too? That's a great deal.
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

wow great guitar for a great price.
          Dean MAB2 Aviator Signed
          Dean MAB1 Armor Flame Signed #3
          Dean RC7 Rusty Cooley 7
          ESP Horizon NTII
          Jackson SL1 USA
          Jackson PC1 USA
          Ibanez RGA-121
          Ibanez PGM 301
          Ibanez UV777BK Strung to high A
          Maton EBG808 TE (Tommy E)
          Alvarez CY127CE
          Click here for my You Tube Page!!!!

Comment

I'm impressed with your choices, and his attention to detail.
            Congrats on what looks like a killer guitar!!!
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              Very NICE..BUT can you play "Meanstreet" ?? During my live solo, I had this trademark thing I did by slapping the intro of Meanstreet with my pud..the people loved it. Except once at Guitarmegeddon I was disqualified because I did a "lude act" during my performance. I don't get it, "lude act"?? ..your pud is an appendage just like an arm, leg, finger, or toe..I mean..WTF??!!..Ya'know!!:think:

Very nice guitar bro..I would love to slap it with my pud!!
              Ah, but the question is can you windmill the guitar with your pud Bill? :ROTF:
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Wow, that's great! Nicely done!

Comment

You owe me a keyboard because I just drooled all over this one.

That's awesome!
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                      I'm impressed with your choices
                      I've actually thought about what you said for a while. Thank you. When I was growing up, I cut my teeth listening to my dad's old tapes...Iron Maiden were the first hard rock band I ever heard, and from there I grew into bands like Dokken, Queensryche, Megadeth, and Van Halen. I love that "cranked Marshall with superstrat" tone and have always wanted the ultimate superstrat for what I love. Lynch is my favorite guitarist, so I had to go with the H/S pup layout and the TB-6 in the bridge. And you can't beat quilted maple.

I'm taking this axe to a local shop on Monday to play it through a Soldano SLO I'm considering buying. That should complete the sound I'm going for. (the Carvin V3 is a BADASS amp no doubt, but it has too much of that Mesa tone and not a really crunchy midrange. I'll keep it for the more modern tones)

I wish more guys (and gals, too) that are my age would pick up the axe and play the good stuff. Shred is coming back, and hopefully it holds off until I finish my service. I'm planning on pursuing a career in music once I'm off active duty and tools like my USA Charvel's and MeanStreet are all I need.

Rant: off. :ROTF:
                      -David

Comment

Very impressive. It has a lot going on... all good, I think. It is loud enough (to look at), but not overwhelming. It has an old school look but still modern. It screams LET'S RAWK, yet still looks very dignified. Hard to 'splain LOOOOsie. Whatever it is, it has it.

Stamp of Approval. Very Nice!
                        In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

very cool..and I love the knob!!!!
                          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                          My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Very cool...I like it a lot!
                            The Guitars:
                            Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                            The Amps:
                            Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Very Nice.
                              I like the homage to EVH without it actually copping his trademarked stripes.
                              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                              X