Reasonable acoustics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable acoustics?

Are there any decently priced but really good playing acoustics out there?

My only experience with acoustic guitars is from back in high school. The detention room was also the band/music room. We were allowed to go ahead and play with the instruments available. Those things were frickin horrible LOL. Damn near unplayable.

I'm interested in both 6 and 12 string models.

What is a good price point that I should be looking at?

Hopefully some of you metalheads will be more worldly than I am and have had some experience and knowledge of acoustics unlike me lOL.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

personally i love the Godin stuff. Simon and Patrick, Art and Lutherie, Seagull . They are all made by the same co. in Canada and the US with solid tops, decent tonewods, excellent build quality, and you can get one from anywhere ifrom $400 on up to about $1200
    Guitars:
    Jackson DK2M Blue Bengal
    Jackson PS-4
    Charvel CX 390
    Gibson Les Paul Studio
    Gibson Les Paul Jr. Pro
    Gibson Les Paul Special
    '56 Gibson J160E
    Galveston Acrylic Strat
    couple of other oddities

Amps:
    Vox AC100CPH
    Ibanez TBX150H

Comment

i got both my acoustics second hand , my favourite is my 1973 ovation which is awesome i would suggest a second hand acoustic as good acoustics get beter with age.

although saying that there is some very decent stuff cheap nowadays i would look at takimins , ovation celebritys etc etc
      Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
      Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

I've always thought very highly of Yamaha acoustics - the one I had sounded great.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I have an Alvarez(sp?) I bought new in 1998. Still new. Keeps the closet full.

Comment

Originally posted by allcree View Post
            personally i love the Godin stuff. Simon and Patrick, Art and Lutherie, Seagull . They are all made by the same co. in Canada and the US with solid tops, decent tonewods, excellent build quality, and you can get one from anywhere ifrom $400 on up to about $1200
            Don't forget La Patrie if you are looking for a classical/nylon. I picked up one of their Concert cutaway nylon string classicals for around $500 and it has great build quality and wood selection with decent electronics. I just put some of the D'Adarrio composite strings on it the other night and it sounds amazing now.

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitarsconcertcw.html

My only complaint about it is the brass fretmarkers on the side of the fingerboard aren't cleared over so if you don't pick it up for a couple weeks they can get a little green corrosion built up on them.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Man, you can't hardly go wrong with Takamines. I have a six and a twelve string (the 12 I got from a fellow JCFer).

I've also owned a high dollar Alvarez, but I've recently played a couple in a mom/pop store that ran just under five bills and they played damn good.

Someone already mentioned it, but you can get some damned nice acoustics out of Canada for very little money. I bought my niece a Norman and it played as nice as any acoustic I've ever touched.

To me, shopping acoustics is hard because there are so many fine quality instruments. Good luck with your search!
              "POOP"

Comment

I'd get a Taylor. The Big Baby or 100 series can be had for a decent price, especially used.

Comment

LaPatrie yes of course! I forgot Norman as well, I love the Godin stuff though, killer bang for your buck!
                  Guitars:
                  Jackson DK2M Blue Bengal
                  Jackson PS-4
                  Charvel CX 390
                  Gibson Les Paul Studio
                  Gibson Les Paul Jr. Pro
                  Gibson Les Paul Special
                  '56 Gibson J160E
                  Galveston Acrylic Strat
                  couple of other oddities

Amps:
                  Vox AC100CPH
                  Ibanez TBX150H

Comment

Ditto on the Taylors I have a 1/2 size I use in our vehicle while traveling as well as a couple of full size ones I leave at the beach. Reasonably priced fantastic tone and excellent build quality.
                    http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Takamine G330S. The action was a bit high for me (I'm an electric player, not a flatpicker ) so I sanded down the bottom of the bridge insert and nut and dropped the action by doing so. Now it wails like an electric.

And I'll 3rd the LaPatrie for nylons - picked one up last year for under $500 used and it's a great guitar, though I admit I've not been able to compare it to a $3000 classical.

Whatever you get, make sure it's got an adjustable truss rod. If it's used, check for any neck repairs or if the bridge is lifting.

I passed on a Gibson Hummingbird for $650 a few years back because it had a neck repair (at the body). It had new strings and was otherwise in beautiful shape, but it sounded dead as a doornail. My cheapass Dorado that can only be used for bottleneck slide sounds 1000 times better than that poor thing did. I almost bought it just to give it a decent burial.

I did get a chance to strum a brand new Hummingbird around the same time that had been hanging high on the wall at the local shop. It needed to be tuned and all I could reach was just above the bridge due to the height, but even out of tune it sounded amazing. $2500, though.

Acoustic is definitely a different guitar than electric in all aspects, especially neck profile and playability. If you're used to doing Yngwie runs on an electric, be prepared for a fight on the acoustic. Also get ready for your fingers to hate you all over again. If you think you've got callouses now.....
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Don't forget your local pawn shops.
                        Just scored a Takamine with Artec 5-band EQ & tuner built in for a buck and quarter.
                        Sweet sustain and dark woods....very nice.
                        Will post when I get those gummy strings off and give it a good wipe down.

Comment

There are tons of great choices in pawn shops true but give them a good look if the action is low and the neck is straight go for it.I just landed a 85 Ovation limited run USA guitar #11 of 100 for $300.00.On board EQ,cherry sunburst top and the little holes.
                          I'd say its a 7 out of 10 because the top has had two cracks repaired but sounds great anyway very loud guitar unplugged.
                          Sadly I won't get to play it much because a collector wants it and is PPing me $650.00 as we speak.
                          If you find a Takamine go for an older Made in Japan one damn nice guitars.
                          Alvarez are nice too and can be had cheap.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I picked up a Norman B20 HG about 10 years ago, for about 400$ new. Handmade in Quebec, great guitar keeps getting better.
                            http://www.normanguitars.com/guitars/b20hg.jpg
                            "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
                            Zakk Wylde

Comment

did anybody mention Seagull already.. my fav within budget

Comment

Working...
                              X