I know we all hate ESP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know we all hate ESP

But back in 1990, to me ESP and Jackson were pretty much equal. This was before all of the LTD junk.

Anyway, (sorry, can't do pics until next week), last night at GC I picked up an ESP Horizon.

Not a smurf head, not an ESP headstock, but a Jackson headstock.

Not stupid "inlay blocks on the fretboard edge" inlays, just solid black bound ebony. Weird "long oval" side markers - not dots. At first I though someone drew them on with a sharpie.

Not a bolt on, a neck thru.

Archtop body.

Hum and single pickup config. Pickups are a Screamin' Demon and an ESP? single. The single is very stratty sounding, so it might be a Fender?

Ferrari Solid Red. A bit loud looking.

Not a POS ESP trem, but a real chome OFR (probably not original to the guitar).

The hardware is chrome. So picture in your head red, black and bright chrome.

The controls are three bright chrome knobs (the first control by the pickup is unwired, then volume and tone).

The pickup selector switch is a micro toggle switch with a chrome bat handle. If this was a stick shift in a car, I'd call it a short throw shifter.

It came with an ESP case.

Inside the case was what I thought was the original ESP humbucker, but it turned out to be a Bare Knuckle Pickup's warpig I guess. It doesn't have a cover, but it has dual rows of allen heads. I don't know BKP's at all, so I'm going by the pictures on the website to tell me which pickup it is. My DMM is in Cinci. (edit - maybe not a warpig - the website says they only come with cover)

Also includes Trem Bar.

This guitar looks and sounds great. Whoever owned it really loved it, because they spared no expense with upgrades and setup.

It had come into GC the day before and was priced at $799. I talked them down to $749. Then when they wouldn't give me a price break on a Vox VT15 amp, they took another $20 off the guitar, so I got it for $729 + 9% TN tax.

Also, since I hadn't used my GC CC, it was cancelled. By signing up for a new credit account, I got 12 months no payments or interest.
    Last edited by DonP; 03-02-2009, 07:10 PM.

very cool. that one sounds killer, congrats! and on such a killer price.

the gc i go to in columbus, oh, doesn't ever have anything that killer at that price point.

Comment

nice sounds awesome cant wait for pics!
      Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
      Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

You got a early 90 or 80's real deal ESP if it has a Jackson headstock. Also ESP's from that era came with top of the line hardware including OFRs and brand name pickups.

This thread is useless without pics.

I have been looking for a similar Horizon with Jackson headstock as well...

Comment

Sweet! I've always loved the Horizon, but I seem to prefer it with the smurf hat headstock.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I seem to prefer it with the smurf hat headstock
            smurf hats are for smurfs! smurfy

Comment

That sounds great. can't wait for pics. Those old Horizons are such cool looking guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                smurf hats are for smurfs! smurfy
                LOL I don't know, I always thought the Horizon looked sexy with that headstock.

Comment

toe, you think I'm sexy.
                  Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                    You got a early 90 or 80's real deal ESP if it has a Jackson headstock. Also ESP's from that era came with top of the line hardware including OFRs and brand name pickups.

This thread is useless without pics.

I have been looking for a similar Horizon with Jackson headstock as well...
                    The s/n on the 24th fret (just like a Jackson) is 1170.

I think it's an 80s because didn't Jackson make them stop the headstock by 1990?

It's a very solid guitar as well. I'd almost say maple wings. The guy who put the Screamin Demon in it definitely had George Lynch in mind.

It sounds great with this pickup (of course because I'm a huge Lynch fan), but since I already have a great Lynch Bengal bolt on with a Screamin Demon, I'm going to play pickup swap with this axe. I have loads of pickups to try out. Full Shred, Custom Custom, etc.

Comment

Bareknuckle pickups are damn expensive and damn good! Take a pic of it and I'll get my mates on the BKP forum to tell you what it is.

Personally I love older ESPs.
                      Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Don - it sounds like a pretty cool find. Please get some pics posted soon.

Originally posted by Seventh Avenged View Post
                        the gc i go to in columbus, oh, doesn't ever have anything that killer at that price point.
                        The last time I was in that store was mid December and they had a pretty cool Soloist in the used room that was pretty tempting. But with the amp I was about to put on order, I couldn't justify bringing it home. But it was probably the coolest used piece I've ever seen in that store.
                        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

yeah, there was a Fusion in there that seemed pretty rad, but it was up for $1200 or $1250, IIRCC. maybe the Soloist got snagged, because i was in there around December a few times. oh Guitar Brothel.

also, ESPs from that era came with Sinclair/ESP double locking trems, so im glad yours has a OFR.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B View Post
                            toe, you think I'm sexy.
                            I do, Jimmy. Will you wear a smurf hat for me?

Comment

"LTD junk"

I beg to differ on that, they are far superior to Jackson's budget X and JS series. They are without a doubt the best bang-for-the-buck budget guitars currently out there.

My Eclipse for example blows away my Gibson Les Paul Studio which had cost me twice the amount of money.
                              Last edited by Blazer; 02-26-2009, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X