Another Gibson Flying V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Gibson Flying V

Here's one you don't see every day. Given the looks of it maybe that's a good thing? It's a 2002 Custom Shop jobbie, I've seen pictures of them on a Flying V fan site and frankly didn't think it was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen but when I saw it pop up on a dealer's site I knew it was scarce so I snarfed it up. If your first impression is that it could very well be the ugliest Flying V you've ever seen, we'll, I've been there done that too. It is growing on me though and regardless, I love having hard to find items.

The only text I could find on the web about them is as follows:

It's appropriate that guitars that were originally designed to reflect the lines of the automobiles would finally get finishes that do the same. Each guitar in this collection of three of Gibson's most "futuristic" models-the Explorer, Flying V, and Futura-has several intriguing appointments, but none more immediately noticeable than the finish. "I read a lot of hot rod and street car magazines, and metallic colors like these are the trend in car restoration right now," says finish master Mick McGuire in reference to the metallic copper, silver, green, and blue finishes found in this collection. Also notable on these guitars are the aluminum pickguard and truss rod covers (designed by engineer John McGuire and the Pro Shop's Bill Jancar, respectively) and the large, retro-style volume and tone knobs. John McGuire said, "They're similar to some knobs Edwin (Wilson, Historic Program manager) brought back from Japan, and they really remind me of old stereo knobs.

It's fitting that these three guitars, with body shapes designed to echo the lines and curves of the automobiles of the '50s, should finally get finish colors to complete that connection. Each of the three guitars will have a limited run of 60 (15 in each color). The Custom Shop will offer the Explorer models in August, the Flying V models in September and the Futura models in October.

Materials: Two-piece mahogany body, one-piece mahogany neck
    Binding: None
    Nut Width: 1.687 nut, 2.602 12th fret
    Scale Length: 24 3/4"
    Hardware: Chrome
    Bridge/Tailpiece: Chrome ABR, v shaped anchor plate
    Pickups: Chrome '57 Classic humbuckers
    Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way switch
    Fingerboard: Rosewood with pearloid dots
    Finishes: Satin Green Metallic, Satin Copper Metallic, Satin Blue Metallic, Satin Silver Metallic
    Other:Aluminum pickguard and truss rod cover
    COLLATERAL: Custom case, certificate of authenticity, Custom care kit

I like that blue and I like the feel of a satin finish. Should be a sweet guitar. If you don't mind me asking, how much was it?
    Gibson SG Standard
    Jackson DK2M Dinky
    Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
    Roland Micro Cube
    Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

That color is awesome!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That looks like Lake Placid Blue therefore it's nice.
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

That's not even in the running for ugliest V.

The only thing fugly on it is the truss rod cover, and some could give or take the diamond jackplate. Other than that, the only thing that would keep me from lusting after it is the fretboard is unbound, dotted rosewood instead of bound, custom-inlaid ebony. Even still, that blue works better with the brown of rosewood than most colors. Good find!
          '02 Jackson KV2
          '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS
          '92 Jackson Rhoads Tribute

Comment

Ugh
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have the Explorer of that Series and it's badassed to the bone! Frankly, I never saw the other models listed anywhere at anytime.
              "POOP"

Comment

P.S. Great score!
                "POOP"

Comment

Wow! That is an awesome color for the Explorer and it's amazing that I found someone else with first hand knowledge of these. I searched the whole internet this weekend for more info on them and there wasn't anything to be found. The dealer also had a copper Explorer from this series, I went back for it last night after debating all weekend but by the time I did it was sold.

Email sent in hopes that you might chat with me a little about these.

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post

I have the Explorer of that Series and it's badassed to the bone! Frankly, I never saw the other models listed anywhere at anytime.
                  Last edited by Tonelover; 02-16-2009, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Sure, I'd be glad to. However, your email apparently didn't go through. You can reach me at [email protected] or just send a PM here at the JCF.
                    "POOP"

Comment

Mark just loves chatting about guitars.
                      Better have a safe word though, so you can tell him when you've had enough.

I use the word "Poop"

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                      --floydkramer

Comment

Lmfao!
                        "POOP"

Comment

I would love to see Gibson offer a few guitars in Pelham Blue. I think a V in that color would be killer!
                          "POOP"

Comment

ARGGGHHH !!! Stop all this guitar talk !!! Can't you guys find a forum that's dedicated specifically for guitars and the guitarists that enjoy them ??? um .. oh yeah .. carry on ... sorry *

Comment

The color of my sister's Mustang is similar to this. FirebirdV's mustang is the same too.
                              Last edited by StukaJU87; 02-16-2009, 02:23 PM.
                              Scott
                              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X