My new custom Superstrat.... Come have a peek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new custom Superstrat.... Come have a peek

So 14 months in the making, numerous changes due to issues, etc....

It was originally an Ibanez 2620 series guitar with the Cubed Pewter finish. However, due to an unforseen circumstance, the whole order changed, and I made the luthier "Chris Woods" life a lot more annoying

Here's the specs.

-1 piece mahogony body
    -24 Stainless Steel Jumbo Frets
    -5 piece maple neck with extra graphite stabiliser rods (insanely strong for my rough climate)
    -Wolfgang Asymetrical Profile with Oiled Finish and 1 11/16 nut width (feels awesome)
    -Maple Fretboard with Pyramid inlay
    -5 bolt neck joint for extra stability
    -Emg 89/81 pickup combo (89 was just added, not in pics)
    -Edge Pro Tremolo
    -Gotoh tuners

There's a long story to this that I wont bore you with. But for what I paid, I am pretty happy. I didnt ask Chris to put on the Ibanez logo on the headstock, but he did it. The body itself is his design. I was fine with a plain look, but he suggested it, and I kinda like it. It is subtle, yet decorative without being overbored.

IT plays good. The neck is insanely strong. In fact, the truss rod has a hard time doing anything. I figured id go 5 piece and I asked Chris to put in the rods because in my climate, things are crazy, and necks can require lots of tweaking.

The guitar is a culmination of all things I like. I LOVE THE WOLFGANG PROFILE, it feels like butter in my hands. I wanted a guitar that didnt require any major work down the road, so I got the SS frets, and they feel no different to me then anything else I have played in my 35+ guitars. I like them.

It sounds really good, and even unplugged the one piece body, strong neck, good joint, offer a great tone.

Im still letting the neck settle in, and doing little set up touch ups, but its a really solid machine and for the price, I DIDNT go wrong. Total cost of this guitar will be around ~1000$ shipped to my door. You cant complain about that, and part of that is because Chris did me a huge favor, so dont epect to get that kind of a rate from him now, he's just too busy.

Anyhow, here's some pics of the beast!!!

check him out... www.christopherwoods.com.... He does quality work, and his prices are good. He is a growing luthier, so his turnaround times are slowly improving, and I have a feeling in a short while it will be TOUGH to get an order with him in because he offers a LOT at really good prices!

Anyhow, any questions, fire away. Enjoy......

wow. really nice dude!

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
      I didnt ask Chris to put on the Ibanez logo on the headstock, but he did it.
      I'm glad everything worked out for. It's a beaut but that's really uncool thing for him to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
        but that's really uncool thing for him to do.
        Why? Someone making a copy from a company that makes copies of other company's copies?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          Why? Someone making a copy from a company that makes copies of other company's copies?
          Com'on now, I know this is a Jackson/Charvel board but let's try to remain objective.

Comment

So what was originally Ibanez about it?
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Long story... I bought a full 2620 guitar (cubed pewter finish) so it was gonna be basically the Ibanez body + hardware... HOWEVER, when he made the neck to spec, the neck pocket was too big. So to simplify things, we just decided to do a custom body.

The clean tones I have gotten on this machine have been outstanding. With the 89 coil tapped in the neck, its soooo sweeeet!

Comment

Its a very unique looking guitar. I like it.

Comment

one of the nicest looking RG style guitars I've seen.

sick neck.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

So what if it has the Ibanez logo on it. Nice guitar, hope you enjoy it!
                    "POOP"

Comment

It's kind of an idealized and improved version of an Ibanez anyway so the logo is appropriate. Lots of people put Charvel logos on custom Stratheads because they're going for a repro look, so what's the difference?

Beautiful guitar, an I am glad you worked it all out with the luthier. I know you were pretty frustrated with him when the neck didn't properly fit the original body.

Also, while it worked out, you should mention that you did have some communication issues and the guy wasn't always timely getting back to you. I just think that bears repeating because waiting for an answer on your custom project is nerve-wracking and if people know ahead of time that this is the case, yet the guy will make it right in the end, then they can make an informed decision as to whether he's the builder they want.

Congratulations! It has been a LONG road for you to achieve the guitar that really makes you happy. You must be thrilled right now!
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Very sweet looking guitar. Congrats on your patience and persistence.
                        Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Thats a good lookin' Ibanez, congrats on it. I've heard about the long lead times with that luthier, and how he wasn't good at getting back to people, but its good to see it all work out in the end.

Comment

Cool one, congrats. I always like Ibanez guitars but their "Wizard" profile necks are too thin for my enormous hands, so i guess the rounded "Wolfgang" profile takes care of that.

Just a few weeks ago I played one of those new Fender Wolfgangs and a Peavey Wolfgang side by side and the Peavey's neck is fatter than the Fender's, if anything the Fender feels more like an old Kramer.

Comment

Thats a beauty!
                              Nathan (Slashrox)

Kramer Pacer Deluxe (1984)
                              Fender Stratocaster (2006)
                              Jackson PC-1 (2012)
                              Kramer Pacer Classic (2013)
                              Gibson Les Paul Traditional (2014)

Roland Cube 80gx 1x12 combo
                              Fender Supersonic 4x12 cab

Comment

Working...