Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So close, yet so far away (BC Rich STIII content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So close, yet so far away (BC Rich STIII content)

I went and took this baby out for a test drive this morning:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/963287379.html

The seller is pretty cool, but not particularly knowledgeable about guitars. I got a list of issues from him ahead of time (couple dings, buckle rash, missing strap button), and it sounded like nickel and dime issues. His list was mostly complete...except one minor detail: cracks on the neck near the headstock! I couldn't tell if there was a repair attempt, but there were two 1" long ones on either side of the nut bolts. Damn! The price was pretty damn good, but I have a mental block with that issue (already been there and done that). She was definitely dropped at one point I would say. So, I passed on it. The S/N is a B#### (early one), the trem is an Edge, and the pups are stock. Electronics were in good working condition. Fret wear was medium. Maybe someone else in ATL needs a BCR parts guitar? Or a wounded beater? DAMN

sounds like a 1st generation production ST-3. cracks aroudnth e locking nut bolts are very common. the ibanez edge was only one the earliest ones. the pickup re custom dimarios a double whammy & half am X2N is the single coils. if it plays good & the cracks arent an issue go for it. those are the better palyter & are far more consistent than later runs of the ST-3 & slingers.

Comment

Is it possible to steam those cracks open, get some titebond into it, then clamp it?
      Some will take it, some won't.

It works best on unfinished necks.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        I went and took this baby out for a test drive this morning:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/963287379.html

The seller is pretty cool, but not particularly knowledgeable about guitars. I got a list of issues from him ahead of time (couple dings, buckle rash, missing strap button), and it sounded like nickel and dime issues. His list was mostly complete...except one minor detail: cracks on the neck near the headstock! I couldn't tell if there was a repair attempt, but there were two 1" long ones on either side of the nut bolts. Damn! The price was pretty damn good, but I have a mental block with that issue (already been there and done that). She was definitely dropped at one point I would say. So, I passed on it. The S/N is a B#### (early one), the trem is an Edge, and the pups are stock. Electronics were in good working condition. Fret wear was medium. Maybe someone else in ATL needs a BCR parts guitar? Or a wounded beater? DAMN

Those cracks are very common. I had several STIII's with cracks and never had a problem. I also had several old Kramers with the same cracks.. still no problems and I never even tried to repair them.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          Those cracks are very common. I had several STIII's with cracks and never had a problem. I also had several old Kramers with the same cracks.. still no problems and I never even tried to repair them.
          Yeah, but I've already got too many guitars and won't be tempted to "go there".

Comment

Working...
          X