PRS SE One....opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS SE One....opinions?

I was in Toronto for work and had a few hours to kill before flying home, so I went into a Long & McQuades (sp?). There I saw my first PRS SE One. I'm always a bit self-conscious playing at the music store so I didn't plug in, but it had a good setup and felt good to me. I've been gassing for a P90 guitar but haven't had the chance to play one amplified. Do the P90's do okay in high gain situations? Are the PRS P90 similar to the Gibsons?

Ah, Long and McQuade; the only store that sells decent guitar in my city. Yet they charge so much money for stuff. Lately they've been smartening up about their prices though...

I've never tried the SE One but the SE Singlecut I tried was quite pleasant to play eve though the strings were dead.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

P90's are not the quietest p'ups in the world. Just be aware of that.

Comment

This is one of my concerns. Being single coil I know they are gonna have that loud hum near the amp in a high gain setting. When I think of P90 tone the word raunchy comes to mind - at least from recorded examples like George Thorogood or Townsend. So do they start getting that sound with less gain, or will they need more boost to get there?

Comment

p90 think single coil on steriods or a humbucker in parrallel mode. gibbys now use IIRC the p100 which is the lower noise p90 actually 2 stacked coils much like noiseless singles.

Comment

the P100 is a lot thinner in tone than the P90. just lower your gain and a P90 is awesome. i have a USA hamer with the P90's and it is crushing with its tone. it is one of the heaviest sounding guitars i have. i used to love playing it through my jcm800 half-stack. sounded great for doom metal and down-tuned sludge rock.

i still use it record all my dropped D stuff.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

That kinda surprises me when you say you're using it for the grind-ey stuff. But that's way cool that it works for you. I just wish I knew someone that had a guitar with those pickups so I could try 'em on my rig at home.

Comment

Working...
              X