No announcement yet.

Schecter...they any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, that string-thru, H/S is a neat option to have, I approve of that!
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

IMO if they would put on a thinner finish they would sound a lot better.Necks are a little big but not all that bad.
      Just give me an old Tom Anderson built Schecter and I'd be happy.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Also worth checking out are the Korean made PRS guitars.
        Those are a good value, especially if you find a nice clean used one.
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

Also worth checking out are the Korean made PRS guitars.
          Those are a good value, especially if you find a nice clean used one
          Those are nice, I myself can't get past the flat tops those should be archtops dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
            Those are nice, I myself can't get past the flat tops those should be archtops dammit!
            +1

They would have a run on those if they were archtops.
            I bet they would really dig into their upper-end sales if they did that.
            I know I'd buy a few!!!
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

I've played a handful of them and found them light in weight and thin in sound. Beautifully made but seemingly cheap to me. I may be wrong but that's my feeling on it.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                Joe, that string-thru, H/S is a neat option to have, I approve of that!
                It was a very neat guitar, and I miss it. I had an Ibanez RG7620 before that, and that was also cool, but a thinner neck.
                I think I'll eventually order a Carvin DC727 or DC747... I hear the necks are somewhere in between the Ibanez and the Schecter.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a C-1 Classic in Antique Amber, very nice guitar.

Looks great, plays well, and sounds really good. I tune it to Eb and play X Japan songs with it... wouldn't mind getting another C-1 Classic to play songs in E standard.

Have not had any experience with other models though, except one yucky one I played in a store.... but maybe that's just because it was a floor demo guitar.

Comment

Schecters are great on paper imo... in real life I don't fancy them that much. Too thick a poly-coat rubs me the wrong way. I'm sure the satin-finished ones like Loomis has would be cool though.

Comment

I just picked up a Tempest Custom, white with black binding and chrome hardware at a local pawn shop. It was a reluctant pre-birthday buy (I wasn't initially interested in getting another guitar) and needed a wee bit of cleaning and TLC.

I'll tell you this, though- the guitar's already impressing me. It plays like butter, balances nicely on my lap, and is capable of a buttload of sounds thanks to its coil-tap.

The only drawback is the guitar's 3+3 headstock, which just looks strange, but otherwise it's a cool guitar.

Comment

Bottom line: they're pretty much like every other guitar that comes out of the Cort factory in Korea, except that Schecter does the fret finishing and setup in its USA shop, which makes them a lot more playable than the LTDs and Epiphones out there. I think Schecter is the first choice among the Korean guitars.

Everything that comes out of Korea seems to have that thick poly finish, but then so do most Jacksons.

The USA Schecters are nice, if a bit stodgy, but then you're talking $$$$$.

Comment

I never saw what the big deal about the finish thickness anyway.

The main things like the pups, the switches and weather the wood is warped are big things to me.

Think about it like this, most jacksons had some wild paint on them back in the day and nobody cared if your cockdragon was finished in nitro or poly. Just if you could burn on it.
                          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I have played several and you could gig with them no problem. Sound good and play good as long as you have good pups in them. Some of them don't come with such good pups so you have to replace them. But for the money I think they are outstanding values.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                              I never saw what the big deal about the finish thickness anyway.
                              It dampens a lot of the resonance and kills some of the top end. An especially resonant guitar will still sound great with a poly finish, but it would sound even better without it.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                                It dampens a lot of the resonance and kills some of the top end. An especially resonant guitar will still sound great with a poly finish, but it would sound even better without it.

Oh,
                                I understand the theory. I just don't buy it.
                                Once you go thru the signal chain, I believe it's moot.
                                Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                                X