Talkin' Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talkin' Story

Woke up in the middle of the night and started thinking about all kinds of stuff. Sometimes I think I've done it all, and every now and then something that I forgot about comes back to me. About 13 or so years ago I picked up an old Les Paul Deluxe whose top been pro refined in a nice transparent red- it had a cornucopia of woodgrains- flame, birdseye and quilt all in one- really unique. It had been routed out for fullsize humbuckers also. Anyway, I spruced it up with a pair of zebra '59 duncs, some fresh Gibson plastic and a sweet setup. Sounded really good and played like butter- but I already had two other LPs that were just as nice. So I put an ad in my local paper for week- Gibson Les Paul good condition $800- didn't get any calls until a day or so after the ad was up. It was an oldtimer like myself who said he played mandolin and acoustic and always wanted an electric, especially a Les Paul. He said he already had a little amp but didn't have a cord so could I bring one. So I went to his farm not far from where I lived and met the nicest 80 year old fellow guitar player ever! When I popped the case opened his eyes lit up like we've all experienced. He handed me the 8 bills without even picking it up and told me he'd wanted one of these since the Les Paul/ Mary Ford days. I knew where he was coming from cause I remember those days too. He had Marshall Valvestate combo with one 12 but I told him to look into getting an amp with tubes, he said he would, he totally got it when I explained why it would sound better. Anyway, I threw in the cord, a pack of Ernie Ball 9s, an Ernie Ball strap with straplocks and some Fender medium picks and drove home happy for both of us. I guess the moral of this story is that YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO ROCK!

LP for $800. Wow. Wish I could score like that
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, I've sold a few over the years in that price range. I usually find good deals and pass them on to someone else and make a couple of $ too. It creates a nice flow that always comes back around. I started in the days when a Les Paul was $500 and a Fender Strat was $ 250. I get sticker shock when I see new guitar prices these days. I've had some GREAT scores over the years and some ones that got away still bother me to this day. I could've bought one of Toy Caldwell's LPs once, passed up a trade on Tommy Bolin's Hamer Explorer [dumb dumb DUMB], passed on a '68 Goldtop Deluxe for $250, a '62 SG Jr. for CHEAP, a couple of LP Customs for wicked cheap and a bunch more. C'est la vie- it's all balances out in the end.

Comment

Working...
      X