Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here own a Silverburst Les Paul from 78-84?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here own a Silverburst Les Paul from 78-84?

I have been looking at getting one for a long time. I know some of them are known to turn green. I am also wondering if there is a year that is better than other years? Like is 78 better than a 83?

Yes I am a tool fan and another thing I like is these guitars are heavy so they have all the wood intact. I will not buy a new Gibson Silverburst custom because of that stupid weight reduction they do.

So please post pics stories and going prices thanks in advance.

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
    I will not buy a new Gibson Silverburst custom because of that stupid weight reduction they do.
    Right Answer, wrong reason.

The reason you want a 78 - 83 Custom is for the stronger than hell 3 piece maple neck. That and the T-Tops aren't bad either, but for 70s rock, not sure for Tool.

I have a 77 Custom and it flat out rocks. Not the same as a traditional LP like the current Historics, but a fine guitar with a tone all it's own.

I'd just say be very careful. Those were bad years for Gibson so it may be a crap shoot finding a good one.

Comment

I've always wanted one of those too, and not just because I'm a Tool fanboy (even though I am).
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

My bandmates is an 81 and it didn't turn green. It has been his main guitar for all this time.

Comment

You couldn't give those away when they 1st came out that why I think there are so few of them.

Comment

Price wise. your probably lookin at about 3k for a really clean one. Theyre going for stupid money these days. All thsoe 70's customs are outragiously priced now. And i had a 76 cst in cherry burst that was amazing. The sandwich body LP's do have a tendncy to seperate at the middle joint along the sides. So make sure its not cracking at that point.
            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              My bandmates is an 81 and it didn't turn green. It has been his main guitar for all this time.
              I actually like the discoloured ones. Like weathered cedar or a nice worn in running shoe, it's a pleasant patina.

Comment

I have Undertow.
                I like it, but it got so overplayed on radio, I got tired of it.

What other Tool should I have?

Comment

Lateralus is my favourite. Parabol/Parabola is EPIC!!!

Comment

Thank you, Zeeg, I will check it out.

Back to the regularly scheduled silvercast topic...
                    I have only played one, and it was...meh.
                    Pick and choose, don't buy sight unplayed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                      I have Undertow.
                      I like it, but it got so overplayed on radio, I got tired of it.

What other Tool should I have?
                      I would recommend a full set of standard and metric sockets with wrench and a good screw driver.

Also I found a stupid clean 81 but it has these weird ass tuners on it that have small handles that fold out so the strings are easier to wind. Is that common on the 81s or is this aftermarket? It says Gibson on the back of the tuners.

Comment

I think those might be stock actually. If I remember correctly, my buddy had an older SG or Paul with the same tuners.
                        They are pretty neat, and definitely 'pre-robot' years!
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven
                        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I had a 78.
                          It turned green.
                          Great tone, but it had this hump in the neck, right at the 12th fret or so, where it joined the body that drove me crazy (dead spots), so I sold her.
                          Would have kept it forever if not for that.

I don't think I've found a Tool CD yet that I don't like, even the early live stuff rocks.
                          Perfect circle also works for me.
                          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                          --floydkramer

Comment

I've got an original Silverburst Flying V that is incredible. I was fortunate enough to trade a Les Paul classic for it back in '94. The neck and sound is amazing. It does have a bit of the green tinge, but is probably one of the best playing and sounding Gisbon guitars I have ever owned. I will post some pics.

Comment

I have an 83 LPC that I bought new with those tuners. They were called Easystring tuners. They were made by Schaller.

Comment

Working...
                              X