7-string recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-string recommendations

Essentially self-explanatory. I'm looking to buy a seven string and would like to know recommendations for guitars that are under a thousand (most are right around 600-700).

I'm currently debating between Ibanez and Schecter (the models without trems). Any input would be appreciated.

Let's see if I can help you out.
    Fist thing is you need to know what neck shape you like.
    the Ibanez 7's have very flat wide "wizard" necks, the Schecters (except the Loomis) have very full round "C" shaped necks.

Second do you want a trem or not?

Third do you want a 25.5 scale or a 26.5 scale?

I've owned (over the past 2 years)
    Schecter Hellraiser 7
    Schecter BlackJack 7
    Schecter Jeff Loomis sig (with floyd)
    Carvin DC727
    ESP M-207
    2 ibanez 7620's

Breakdown.

Hellraiser 7 (new)
    Pretty cool guitar, but I don't really like EMG's and I wanted a floyd.
    the necks on these feel big, because they are round and the scale is 26.5.
    the one I had played like a dream and if it had a trem on it I probably would've kept it. If you like a Les Paul shaped neck, you'll dig these.

BlackJack 7 (used)
    Loved the way it sounded, hated the way it felt. this guitar felt like a cheap Korean import (I got rid of it fast). these have full necks and are 26.5 scale. some People love em, they are all mahogany, and come with the duncan JB/59 combo. I got mine for $275.00.

Schecter Jeff Loomis (new)
    Easily the best Shecter I've owned so far, the neck is a little slimmer than the Hellraiser's, it's got a maple board, and and OFR trem on it. also has huge mungo frets, almost feels like you're playing a scalloped board.
    Comes in two models now , with or without Trem.
    These are nice, I sold mine to fund my Recto, I may get another one at some point, they are very nice guitars (in a different league than the other Schecters). If you want a maple fret board this is your only current production model option.

Carvin DC727 (new)
    I bought mine new , spec'd it out exactly as I wanted it, I have replaced the shit pickups with a Set of Bareknuckles and the licensed trem with an OFR and you will have to pry this guitar from my dead hands to ever get it away from me.
    My favorite guitar for the last year or so (even over my 6's), the Carvin neck is somewhere between the Ibby necks and the Schecter necks. Very Comfortable to play. order it with a mahogany body/wings and it will sound good too. With the upgrades I've done and the Stainless steel frets that Carvin uses, this guitar has become an amazing workhorse. these are 25.5 scale. The neck on this guitar is the closest feeling to my Jackson Soloist that I have found yet (you'll have to pry that guitar from my dead hands as well). You can find these used on the Bay in $600-900 range, depending on specs).

ESP M-207 (used)
    Very cheap components , but great neck shapes on them. This was the first 7 I ever bought (to see if I would like playing a 7) I think I got it for $250.00 used at a Daddy's). Licensed trems , duncan Designed pups,
    you really don't want to bother with one of these, there are much better options out there. Mine had a Duncan Invader in the bridge, but the frets are medium jumbo and I like big frets, so it wasn't long for my ownership.

Ibanez 7620 (used)
    these have become my 2nd favorite 7's to play. I had a black 1999 and I sold it to fund my Recto head, but the neck had a flat spot that ran the entire length of the back of the neck, Very "D" shaped and flat feeling.
    It hurt my wrist after a while. (damn skinny Ibanez necks)
    I dropped in an Evo 7/air Norton combo into it and it sounded killer.

My current 7620 is a 97 and it has a rounder neck shape to it, and I'm liking this one a lot more than the first one I had.
    These are really easy to play 7's, 25.5 scale, the edge trems are solid
    and can be regularly had for under $550.00.
    These a great first 7 (you will never lose your money on one , the 7 players love em) the 7621 is the fixed bridge version.
    the 7420 is a cheaper version, I'd stay clear of those unless you find one for say $250.00 or so.
    the Ibanez 1527 is the newer verision of the 7620, but it is a general consensus that the 7620's smoke the 1527's.
    The 7321's are crap bottom of the line.

The Agile Inerceptors are getting decent reviews and are under $600.00 new

Well that's all I can think of in your stated price range, I hope it helps.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I would suggest finding a used RG7421 or RG7621. They're MIJ and much higher quality than the current MIK RG7321. That's probably the absolute best quality/price ratio.

Another option is a Carvin, if you can find one used it will be under 1k.

Every Schecter I've played just felt and sounded OK. They're middle of the road guitars. I personally would stay out of the middle and either get something nicer (MIJ or USA) or just get something really cheap.

Comment

The only way in which the 7421 is inferior to the 7621 is in the pickups. The necks are identical.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
          The only way in which the 7421 is inferior to the 7621 is in the pickups. The necks are identical.
          and the trem is cheaper (that is actually the biggest complaint about them over on the 7 string forum)

Comment

The versions ending in 1 don't have trems. I figured from the first post he's not interested in the trem versions.

But you're right about the 7620 vs. 7420. The trem on the 7420 sucks.

Comment

Rondo's Agile line features some really nice 7's. Looks like the 27" scale is out of stock at the moment, but the 25.5" models are available.
              please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                The versions ending in 1 don't have trems. I figured from the first post he's not interested in the trem versions.
                This would be correct. Thanks for the suggestions on the RGs; I will check those out.

Comment

Not a single mention of a Jackson COW7? They're awesome, I have one and it beats the Universe I used to own. Not played a Schecter though
                  93 USA Soloist EDS
                  USA HT6 Juggernaut
                  Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Originally posted by pagemalicious View Post
                    Not a single mention of a Jackson COW7? They're awesome, I have one and it beats the Universe I used to own. Not played a Schecter though
                    I'm not a big fan of the COW (tried one out a while back), so I'm kind of glad no one recommended it.

Comment

The Schecter 007 Elite I had was really cool. It was the humbucker/single coil version, though. Jeff Loomis also used to play them (the H/H version), as well as a couple other of their models, before getting his signature model. I really want to try his sig model, too.

The Ibanez RG7620 I had was really cool, too, but I preferred the thicker neck of the Schecter.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Loomis is probably the Nicest production model on the market that's under a grand (hell it may be the nicest for over a grand as well)
                        I really liked mine and I may get another without the floyd on it so I have at least one guitar without a floating trem on it.
                        Having said that I just finished a jam sassion to Petrucci's "Jaws of Life" on my Carvin DC727, and I must say this guitar is just awesome.

Comment

I've never seen or played the COW so I didn't bother giving an "opinion" on it.

I want to try one, especially in Red Blue Pearl, but I'm not about to buy one just so I can try it.

Comment

Another (slightly odd) fixed-bridge option for under 1k USD would be to buy an Ibanez RG7£XFX2. It's meant for the Japanese market only, but you can buy them from a Japanese online dealer. It's basically a baritone RG body with dual EMG 707s. Despite what Ibanez's website says, they're 27" scale. They're MIK, but at least mine was flawless. I really like the longer scale.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                              Another (slightly odd) fixed-bridge option for under 1k USD would be to buy an Ibanez RG7£XFX2. It's meant for the Japanese market only, but you can buy them from a Japanese online dealer.
                              Have a site? And what is the pound symbol's letter supposed to be?

Comment

Working...
                              X