Scored a purple Squier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored a purple Squier

Yesterday I was over at a friend's when I saw the unmistakable headstock shape of a strat burried beneath some boxes and some other Jargon, I cleared it away and out came the carcass of a late eighties Squier Strat, the hardware had been (badly) spraypainted gold and the body had recieved multiple layers of metallic purple. I asked the guy what was up with that one and he said that it was a project guitar that he never found the time to finish, he dubbed it the "purple nurple" because it had been a pain for so long.

So I offered to buy it from him, he agreed and promptly handed me a box containing a black pickguard and pickups that had thick (and I'm talking about industrial size) electrical wires coming from them.

So when I got home I took all the parts off and gave them a paint thinner treatment, except for the tuners which are the real deal, no gold spray paint on those: genuine goldplated Gotoh's. After cleaning the parts up I decided to assemble it, I decided to ditch the black pickguard in favor of a vintage mint pickguard and when testing revealed that the pickups were dead as a doornail, I decided to ditch those too. I wired it all up to a five way switch and a master volume (I never use tone anyway)

The pictures make my guitar look blue but it's really a Prince-approved heu of Purple.

THIS kind of purple.

that looks pretty sharp
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Purple is a really cool guitar color... unique and doesn't get old to look at. Icna kind of see the purple in it too. Congrats!

Comment

Very nice... Late eighties = MIJ, no?

Comment

Originally posted by killingismybusiness18 View Post
          Very nice... Late eighties = MIJ, no?
          Nope, it's a Korean made, possibly by either Saehan or Samick. But way better in Quality than any current Squier

Comment

mid-80's was MIJ, I have one from 1984. a tele.
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

My strat is pretty much that same color. I like it.

Comment

Great looking strat mate, nice find!
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Nice score. Let me offer a suggestion for the next time you change your strings. You can order a strat style pickguard from Warmoth and choose which holes you want drilled. Single pot and 5 way switch. If you are interested, that is.
                  The Guitars:
                  Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                  The Amps:
                  Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Working...
                  X