So I Bought a ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I Bought a ...

... bass. I'm not really much of a bass player but every once in a while I listen to the first couple of Sabbath albums and think, "Goddamn but they would have been nothing without Geezer," which is usually followed rather quickly by, "Why in the hell did I sell that bass anyway?" And of course, "I really should pick up another one!"

So when this popped up I just couldn't resist:

The brand will surprise no one who knows me:

Not that I bought it because it's a GMP mind you, it just happened that I was looking for a cool bass and this is the coolest thing that popped onto my radar at the right time.

I've always been a bit of a sucker for a nice natural flame top:

A *real* sucker that is:

I've never really understood why basses sometimes feature many, many layers of laminate but it sure does look mighty cool.

Oooh pretty:

So eye candy? Yep, I can do that. Now where in the heck did I put that new PRS?
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Really nice axe !!!! Great woods ! It looks awesome dude...
    -1984 Kramer Pacer Special (5150 replica) (Made In USA)
    -1990 Kramer American Pacer Custom II "Holoflash" (Made In USA)
    -2008 Jackson Soloist SL-3 "Trans blue" (Made In Japan)
    -2008 Laboga 5201 Twin 50W
    -1983 Washburn D-25 "100th Anniversary Model" (Made In Japan)

Comment

Jesus, that bass is pretty.

I think they do the necks like that for stability. Looks pretty too so it's multi-functional.

Nice one.
      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I'd always assumed it was a stability thing but 9 pieces just seems a little excessive to me. At some point they're just showing off.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Stability!? Is that a crack I see in the 3rd pic next to the neck joint?

But yeah, somewhere there's a myth about bass necks with truss rods warping, so they laminate the necks that way. Can't say I've ever seen a bass neck warp that way. Heads, yeah, but I guess they're just as succeptible to twisting as guitar necks.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Stability!? Is that a crack I see in the 3rd pic next to the neck joint?
            Naw, it's an optical delusion.

Comment

wow, that is pretty. Especially that third pic. Very nice
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Nice woods right there with some nice craftsmanship too I'm sure.

Don't think I've ever seen a 9 piece neck before.
                Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
                Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

That is one sexy beast.
                  THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Now thats a nice bass, not trying to be too much and doing it well.

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne View Post
                      I'd always assumed it was a stability thing but 9 pieces just seems a little excessive to me. At some point they're just showing off.
                      I can beat that-supposed to be a 100 piece neck,but I counted (Yeah,sad I know),and includuing the headstock 127 pieces!

http://www.bcrichplayers.com/

Comment

Amazing woods. Only a crazy builder would go through the trouble of putting a beauty like that together these days.

Comment

That's an awesome bass. I love multi-piece necks. Stability be damned, they just look cooler.

Comment

If that BC Rich is 127 pieces, I think you've got a plywood neck.

Looks more like the angle that the wood was cut and you're seeing the rings in the tree. I'd say it was 7 piece, maybe 8 if the center strip was doubled and not just thicker.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              If that BC Rich is 127 pieces, I think you've got a plywood neck.

Looks more like the angle that the wood was cut and you're seeing the rings in the tree. I'd say it was 7 piece, maybe 8 if the center strip was doubled and not just thicker.

Then you would be wrong

It is 127 pieces of wood glued together under pressure,each neck took 3 months to make and had a failure rate of 75%,that's why it was short lived

And yep,you could consider them to be Plywood necks,but have you ever tried to break Plywood???,super strong and super stable

I spoke to Randy Waltuch about these necks,I have 2 Warlock with these necks
                              http://www.bcrichplayers.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X