New (old) Guitar (beater) Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (old) Guitar (beater) Day!

A colleague at work is moving away and asked me if I wanted his old guitar. Of course, I said yes and then asked what kind and he said Vester. Ugh. Well, not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth I took it off him for a bottle of Austrailian Merlot. Maybe I should have kept the wine.

Actually, for a piece of plywood it plays okay. He hadn't played it in over 10 years and the old string (yes, that's singular) on it was pretty grungy. The whole thing was. So I took it completely apart, cleaner her up and she's got a new set of strings on her.

Enough bullshit, here's some pics of The Plywood Princess

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

It is a Stage Series, so its got to be good, right? I mean who would ever go on stage with a piece of crap?
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

As you can probably see from the last pic, it's a 5 piece neck. 5 random pieces of wood glued together and cut into a shape we all know and love. That line across the back on the headstock is where 2 pieces intersect. Brutal!

The bridge is...odd. You string it from the back under these little tabs, without cutting the ball-ends, and these tabs are your "fine tuners" as it were.

The volume dial was frozen stiff. Had to get in there with some contact cleaner. The headstock has the typical chunk out of it as would be expected. The neck was actually nice and straight. We'll see how much the string tension does to her. That's why I left the truss rod cover off. No buzzing on any frets, but they are pretty rough. I don't have any 000 steel wool to polish them up but I'll get to that another day. The best part of the whole thing is the nut - it's in great shape. haven't plugged her in yet so I don't know if the electronics are shot.

Hell, a guy could do worse for a $13 bottle of wine!
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
        It is a Stage Series, so its got to be good, right? I mean who would ever go on stage with a piece of crap?

Apparently my friend did. he bought it in Austria (where he's from) back in the late 80's and had some crappy band. I actually found their setlist in the leather gig back it came in.
        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Working...
        X