Warmoth Neck (A little disapointed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmoth Neck (A little disapointed)

Haven't had time to be online the last couple weeks, a co worker retired and i'm on call every other week. that mixed with other stuff I haven't had time to even touch my guitars.

So today a neck I ordered 6 weeks ago from Warmoth arived. Take it out of the box, perfect. I'll have to sand the paint Daneen got into the neck pocket, as it's too snug in there as is (can't actually get it all the way in)

Anyway, I noticed a couple things about this neck that seem like bullshit.

1) They give you a truss rod cover and screws but don't actually drill the holes for it. That didn't seem like a big issue until ...

2)I noticed they didn't put screw holes in where the tuners go.. They drill it out for specific tuners but don't put even starter holes for the screws?

Did anyone else get a neck like this? Are gotoh style tuners that radically different from eachother that the screw hole won't be at the same place?

*Looks at the squire* it has no screw hole for it's tuners... hrmph... that just seems kind of lame. I really didn't expect to pay 400 bucks for a neck then still have to drill holes into it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful neck. And it looks f-n killer on the soloist body i had painted, but... i dunno... just seems like nonsense.

not the end of the world. just a little disapointed. will have pictures some time this weekend.

Denny if you're reading this - sorry, I don't mean to be a slacker on sending the other body, i've really just been to damn busy and too damn broke.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

This has been hashed out before. I'm pretty certain you have to have asked them to install those things for you, which may be a slight upcharge?
    Seems I recall the bolt on screw holes were always a little but of a touchy subject because people would receive their necks and have it already predrilled for a 4 bolt when they didn't want it as such. (even though that is not specifically the nature of your complaint) I've owned quite a few Warmoth necks since about 82 and they've only come predrilled for old school floyd nuts...the tuner screws have never been predrilled. I think that is pretty std for most aftermarket neck companies..MM, Musikcraft etc..

I'm surprised you have not mentioned the fret tangs may need some bevel filing, they usually do.
    Last edited by charvelguy; 06-05-2008, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Tuner holes vary greatly so they don't drill them - they might if you specifically ask for it. I went for the truss rod at the heel which is uncovered so I can't speak to those.

My Warmoth neck is FABULOUS. Feels, looks, and sounds amazing. Well worth the ~$500 for neck+tuners+shipping.

Comment

I've had plenty of tuners mounted that I never put the screws in, and never had a problem. They're easy to line up, and the nut/grommet will hold them in position. You might knock them out of whack with a string winder (especially a powered one), but once you have them mounted and straight, it's nothing to tap the holes in with a drill.

I underatand the complaint, but as was stated, unless you sent them the tuners, they won't drill the holes.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nothing worse than having those screw holes a half-diameter off, either.
          No big deal. I use a little hand chuck amd drill for those small holes.

Like Newc, I have put in a lot of tuners without using the lock down screws,
          no real problems if the tuner bore is correct.

Comment

Having just built a complete Warmoth I can tell you that the holes you are speaking of are not drilled by the company. Even if you ask them to, they won't. That is just the nature of the beast. Even with bodies, you have to drill for the pickguard, various covers (electronics, trem spring cavity) and strap buttons. They don't drill for the trem claw, either.

No worries, it is not that hard and it doesn't take that long. If you'd like some tips that I picked up from the Warmoth forum, PM me.

I think you'll be really happy with the neck once you get it fitted and installed.

If you want to pick up some other Warmoth tips, check out this site: www.unofficialwarmoth.com
            Last edited by DocNrock; 06-05-2008, 07:54 AM.
            The Guitars:
            Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
            The Amps:
            Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
              Tuner holes vary greatly so they don't drill them - they might if you specifically ask for it. I went for the truss rod at the heel which is uncovered so I can't speak to those.

My Warmoth neck is FABULOUS. Feels, looks, and sounds amazing. Well worth the ~$500 for neck+tuners+shipping.

That's a gorgeous neck!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                I've had plenty of tuners mounted that I never put the screws in, and never had a problem. They're easy to line up, and the nut/grommet will hold them in position. You might knock them out of whack with a string winder (especially a powered one), but once you have them mounted and straight, it's nothing to tap the holes in with a drill.

I underatand the complaint, but as was stated, unless you sent them the tuners, they won't drill the holes.

See, I told them specifically the tuners I was going to buy for them and asked them to drill it specifically for those. but I guess I took it for granted that they would do the whole thing. The neck otherwise is perfect. I'm looking forward to playing it, it's beautiful

And let me repeat I love the neck, I was just surprised.
                Last edited by eakinj; 06-05-2008, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DocNrock View Post
                  Having just built a complete Warmoth I can tell you that the holes you are speaking of are not drilled by the company. Even if you ask them to, they won't. That is just the nature of the beast. Even with bodies, you have to drill for the pickguard, various covers (electronics, trem spring cavity) and strap buttons. They don't drill for the trem claw, either.

No worries, it is not that hard and it doesn't take that long. If you'd like some tips that I picked up from the Warmoth forum, PM me.

I think you'll be really happy with the neck once you get it fitted and installed.

If you want to pick up some other Warmoth tips, check out this site: www.unofficialwarmoth.com
                  Yeah I was expecting that on the body as it was unpainted. But the neck I had them put the static coat on and the floyd setup etc.

My concern is I'm pretty f*cking useless with a drill I probably won't even put the wholes in.

Cool, I will check out the page. And I can not say enough how nice the neck is.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                    See, I told them specifically the tuners I was going to buy for them and asked them to drill it specifically for those. but I guess I took it for granted that they would do the whole thing. The neck otherwise is perfect. I'm looking forward to playing it, it's beautiful

And let me repeat I love the neck, I was just surprised.
                    They will ream the tuner holes to match the tuners you order, but they won't drill for the retaining screws. It's really not that hard, measure twice and drill once. This may seem obvious, but don't drill too deep or you'll go through the peg face. Don't drill too shallow or you'll break off the retaining screw while trying to tighten it down.

I use a variable speed drill and drill very slowly. Mark the bit with a piece of masking tape so that you know for sure when you are at your specified depth. Also, put a piece of masking tape on the wood where you are going to drill. It will keep the bit from skittering across the surface .
                    The Guitars:
                    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                    The Amps:
                    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

wrap a piece of masking tape on the shank of the drill bit to predetermine your depth of how far you should go. I usually start with a pre drill tap so I won't have any issue of drift...you can just use a fine/small finishing nail for wood trim you have laying about, give it a light tap so it sinks in about an 1/8" and you're started.
                      I typically use a small cordless or a dremel type tool for this type of thing.
                      Last edited by charvelguy; 06-05-2008, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                        My concern is I'm pretty f*cking useless with a drill I probably won't even put the wholes in.
                        Just practice on a piece of spare wood. You'll do fine. It's not rocket science.
                        The Guitars:
                        The Amps:

Comment

As everyone said that is pretty normal. I won't drill the holes either unless I install the tuners.

Comment

For some of the holes on my last project I didn't even pre drill. The screws were self tapping and went in perfectly easily and smoothly. I wish I had done that on all of them because the drill started slightly lifting the clear coat on the body in a couple spots.

Comment

When I got a Warmoth neck for a project, my Luthier specifically asked me to make sure that it came completely un-drilled as he wanted to do things his way and not rely on someone else's idea of correct. Made sence to me. Also, tuner screw holes are all different, from old crown heads to fender to 45 deg gotos to schalers to 3'oclock gotos and schalers to sperzels etc. Better to fit the hole to the application. For most turners, using a straight edge to line them up with a trial install before marking the hole does the trick.
                              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                              X