BC Rich bolt-on mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Rich bolt-on mystery

I know that for the early BC Rich bolt-ons, you need to look for the "TM" on the headstock to identify Class Axe guitars. I have my sights on an old Gunslinger that does not have the "TM", it does have "Made in USA" on the headstock, and it has a BXXXX serial number. Does anyone know the significance of that S/N? All the charts that I have found talk about BCXXXXX or BOXXXXX numbers for USA bolties. Here is an old STIII auction that also shows a BXXXX number:

Any ideas? Does that indicate that they are BC Romans?!?

BCR wasn't too tight with their neck plates, and then there was Roman. Caveat Emptor. Don't overpay.

Comment

The serial numbers on the bolt ons are pretty much impossible to use to date a BC rich, apparently when being built they just grabbed one out of a box and stuck in on, they are in no way sequiential. even some of the Japanese made BC Rich's have the LA California neck plate.

The BXXXX number was used along with the BCXXXXX numbers in the 80's , there are even variations whereby you get B (space)XXXX and BXXXXX

so nothing to worry about!, go for it!

I also wouldn't think it would be a Roman, a Gunslinger would be too "low end" for him unless it had a AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA flame maple on it and gold hardware!>

Comment

I also wouldn't think it would be a Roman, a Gunslinger would be too "low end" for him unless it had a AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA flame maple on it and gold hardware!>
        Roman did buy all the left over neck and bodies so there are some bolt ons from roman out there, but they actual bc rich parts. Those will have the TM I believe.

I wouldn't pay over $600 for it unless it has a fancy paint job, even though the news ones are 2k+.

Comment

BTW, needs to be said -

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
            BTW, needs to be said -
            Well, the seller informs me that he has another buyer lined up already.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/703566216.html

Comment

[QUOTE=Rich#6;1106606]Roman did buy all the left over neck and bodies so there are some bolt ons from roman out there, but they actual bc rich parts. Those will have the TM I believe.
              QUOTE]
              he made far more than he bought. The Bxxxx plates were first followed by the BCxxxx/x plates. ive yet to see a slinger with a serial lower than B7XXX. NOT all class axe guitars have the TM logo, alot of them are necks & bodys that were left overs from the Rico's, Class Axe had no "wood shop" for the first 1 1/2 -2 yr.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                The Bxxxx plates were first followed by the BCxxxx/x plates. ive yet to see a slinger with a serial lower than B7XXX.
                Interesting, that would mean that the one I was looking at was too early for Class Axe and very desirable. Dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  Interesting, that would mean that the one I was looking at was too early for Class Axe and very desirable. Dammit!
                  Yes and no - unless you're 100% sure everything was original, it may be other than you are expecting. Not trying to rain on your parade, but unless there's a log, you can't be sure, and BCR didn't do that the way Jackson/Charvel did.

I mean just take a look at some of the shit shows that get started when people think they've got a real catch in a J/C guitars, and then the S/N doesn't match the logbook. Hilarity ensues...

With that said, Guslingers are cool no matter what, so don't get hung up over it. Nobody will pay more/less based on the s/n for a Rich anyway - the only think that seems to concern them is whether or not it's in good shape and looks cool. That's all I cared about.

Saw the pics - sweet!! But what's with the chrome tuners?!? Another thing about that one that leads me to think it might not be original -- the fretboard looks awfully clean for something from that time frame. The ones I had were all quite discolored - the either looked like Charvels from that time frame that had dirty/stained/discolored boards, or they were kinda tinted like some of the Fender necks. This neck looks a bit too clean to be an early one - could just be the pics though, or maybe just a lack of play.

**EDIT** In looking at it again, I think it might just be the pics. The more I look at it, the more I think it could be just my eyes dicking with me. $550 is an awesome price though...
                  Last edited by chrisolson; 06-03-2008, 01:43 PM.

Comment

For that price I would have bought first and asked questions later.

That's a sweet 'slinger.
                    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      For that price I would have bought first and asked questions later.

That's a sweet 'slinger.
                      Argh, rub it in rub it in. I offered to bring the guy cash today, still no word.

Comment

Axe,
                        Maybe it will fall through. Stranger things have happened. I'll have a good thought for you. It's a nice one.
                        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

FWIW, Roman did not buy ALL of the BC Rich parts. Victor Litz in Maryland bought a large amount of that stash as well. They sold off their parts far cheaper than Roman, so they were gone in a year or so time.

Comment

Working...
                          X