Shining up my ol' strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shining up my ol' strat

After not playing for about 10 years, my old strat was in need of an overhaul. The electronics needed to be replaced (or at least it was in need of resoldering and contact spray) and it didn't look so good anymore. I've always had a problem with noise in the bridge pickup and I had an extra TB4 lying around since I put a Custom in my KV2, so I decided to put it in my strat. That should also make it more diverse. The TB4 was black, so I decided to try out black pickups, knobs, etc. I wasn't sure how it would work out.

As I remember it, the guitar was bought back in '92 or '93 when I was a teenager. I slaved for a long time handling return bottles at the local super market so a lot of sweat, blood and tears went into this guitar and I'll never sell it, even if it doesn't fit my style anymore.

Anyways, here are some before and after pics.

Last edited by javert; 06-03-2008, 07:40 AM.

hows that humbucker sound,i just bought 1?

Comment

Now it totally looks like the '95 San Dimas guitars! Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by zenridaz View Post
        hows that humbucker sound,i just bought 1?
        Which one, the Custom or the TB4?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
          Now it totally looks like the '95 San Dimas guitars! Well done.
          Ah, I didn't even think about that. Cool. I wasn't sure how the pearl pickguard was going to work out, but I'm pretty happy about it and it does spice things up a bit compared to the boring white or black ones.

Comment

Love it! the black pups and knobs gives it a boost, plus it is my fav pup combo HSS.
            Sweet.
            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Steeler View Post
              Love it! the black pups and knobs gives it a boost, plus it is my fav pup combo HSS.
              Sweet.
              Thanks. Yeah, the black provides a nice contrast. It feels almost like I got a new guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                Which one, the Custom or the TB4?
                the tb4

Comment

Very cool! I like it a lot better now with the black pups and pearloid guard.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by zenridaz View Post
                    the tb4
                    Ah. It's a good versatile pickup that can be used for a lot of different genres. And it sounds good in combination with the stock Fender pickups, although there's a bit of a output level difference. The strat still has the nice twang when the TB4 and the mid pickups are combined. I like the Custom and the Distortion better for heavy stuff, though. The reason I took it out of my KV2 was that I already have TB4s in two other Jacksons and I wanted to try the Custom.

Comment

that is very very nice.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Yeah nice! I'm doing up an old Marlin cheapo strat right now, so can you tell me this:
                        What kind of pots did you use? Audio taper or linear taper? And 250 or 500K? And (!) what size of cap?
                        Ta!
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Nice job! Looks great! I'm curious about the rusted screws I see on the pickguard. Did you buy it new or used back then? I've never seen the chrome/nickel screws rust. I've got Strat's I had since the 70's and they as good as new. Of course, they are stored in cases. The nickel will get a slight dulling film, but no rust at all. With the chrome screws, zero rust. Just wondering.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                            Yeah nice! I'm doing up an old Marlin cheapo strat right now, so can you tell me this:
                            What kind of pots did you use? Audio taper or linear taper? And 250 or 500K? And (!) what size of cap?
                            Ta!
                            I used 250kOhm pots and a a 0.022uF cap. I justed looked up the pots i used, and looks like I got linear pots, but that was certainly not my intention.

Have a look at

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/

where you can find parts lists, wiring diagrams for various configurations.
                            Last edited by javert; 06-02-2008, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                              Nice job! Looks great! I'm curious about the rusted screws I see on the pickguard. Did you buy it new or used back then? I've never seen the chrome/nickel screws rust. I've got Strat's I had since the 70's and they as good as new. Of course, they are stored in cases. The nickel will get a slight dulling film, but no rust at all. With the chrome screws, zero rust. Just wondering.
                              Well spotted! Those are the original screws. I had bought a set of new black screws, but I hadn't bought enough, so I ended up using the old ones. I sweat a lot when I play guitar and I have problems with rust on several of my guitars. The Floyd and pickup screws usually rust. It's really annoying and I've been meaning to ask in here about it for a long time. Here's what my KV2 looked like one month after I purchased it:

Comment

Working...
                              X