Les Paul classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul classic

I recently got a gibson les paul classic in black. Nice guitar, I'm getting used to it per my other topic, but it feedsback pretty much anytime I'm within a few feet of my amp. Low volumes too. It is "weight relieved" so maybe the chambers are acting like a hollwbody? Anyone else experience this? No problems with my PC1 so I would hope since this is of the same quality (in theory) I shouldn't expect less.
    What has 9 arms and 10 legs? Def Leppard

Knowing Gibson, the pickups are probably microphonic. Do they have a lot of wax on them? Also make sure they actually soldered the covers on...

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
      Knowing Gibson, the pickups are probably microphonic. Do they have a lot of wax on them? Also make sure they actually soldered the covers on...
      ?

Gibson 496R/500T come wax potted.

They don't come with covers.

My Classic plays perfectly fine in front of a DSL100 1/2 stack and sounds fricken awesome.

Comment

Nice flame!!!!
        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

+1..check the pups and make sure they're waxed.
          The Guitars:
          Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
          The Amps:
          Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

I had a Classic. Change the pickups. They're too hot and didn't compliment the guitar at all IMO.

Comment

D'oh! Thought he meant a Deluxe. Confused the two for some reason. No they do nto come with covers. My Flying V with the 500T setup was mildy microphonic and had no wax on them that I could see. Still sounded good, but you could tell it could of been done a little bit better. I also agree with chrisolson. I played a Classic (the one with 1960 on the pickguard right?) and they didn't do a lot for the guitar. Bland in terms of tone.

Comment

Classic (the one with 1960 on the pickguard right?) and they didn't do a lot for the guitar. Bland in terms of tone.
                You are correct, sir! They were hot, but otherwise blah. No character at all.

Comment

that is a hot les paul

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                    You are correct, sir! They were hot, but otherwise blah. No character at all.
                    Bland in terms of tone.
                    You guys must be on crack?, or just had bad examples.

I will say that my 496R/500T pair are a VERY old pair, before they stamped Gibson USA on the backplate (mine have the PAT NO stamped on the backplate). Also, my 500T is normal spaced - all newer ones are F / Trem spaced.

Mine are both 4 wire. The tone controls can be pulled up to split the buckers into a very hot strat / tele kind of tone. All of my pots are CTS 550K, giving extra high end edge. .015 and .022 orange drop caps.

In humbucker mode through a very clean vintage Kalamazoo Model 12 tube amp (read NO DISTORTION at all), they give a GREAT AC/DC tone, loud and proud.

Through my Marshall Micro Stack, this rig nails Maiden to a T.

I have other Les Pauls for playing vintage stuff, but this is my hot metal Les Paul, and it does it wonderfully.

Comment

Hey Don - I think they suck; you like them. We all have our experiences. No need to cast dispersions.

Comment

I used to own a 1995 LP Classic. It had the stock 496R/500T pickups. Playing it through a Fender Twin or a Peavey Classic, it was undoubtably the hottest, most crunching tone monster in my collection.

I sold that guitar to a friend of mine who plays nothing but metal using Mesa, Marshall, and Splawn equipment. He too thinks it's the hottest pickup combination he's ever used.
                        Last edited by SEEGERMANY; 05-26-2008, 01:53 PM.
                        "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                          Hey Don - I think they suck; you like them. We all have our experiences. No need to cast dispersions.
                          +1. Also, you need to check a few of my posts bro. I had a pair in a V and loved them.

Comment

I had 57 classics in mine..those ruled!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                            X