Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new guitar in JP. Decisions, decisions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new guitar in JP. Decisions, decisions.

Hey guys. I have found myself in Japan again, this time with no electric guitar (only brought with me a Yamaha silent guitar). Gonna be here a while probably, and I'm debating whether to have my mom send me my DK2M from her place, or get a new axe here.. leaning toward a new axe though. You know how GAS is.

I'm thinking it makes sense to get something that's fairly exclusive to Japan while I'm here.

Looking at Jackson Stars, it doesn't feel like as good of a deal as it did 3.5 years ago when I ordered my semi-custom KS. They have pulled the custom system and price sheet off the site, so it's kind of unclear whether they're still doing the same stuff or even accepting custom orders at the moment?
    The thru neck models are around 1100-1200-ish slightly scratched or 1400-ish new I guess, and come with EMGs or Duncans it looks like.. I dunno if that's all that good a deal or not.
    Bolt neck models cost about the same as in the US but with EMG-HZs or Duncan Designed instead of real Duncans, so I'm reluctant to go that route.

Been looking at Fender JP, wouldn't mind having a strat, but most of them seem to be 21 frets. This is kind of a deal-breaker for me. 24 I could care less, but gotta have 22.

The Edwards LPs are pretty popular in sort of a niche market in the US, but I've never been big into LPs. It's still on the list for now.

There's this (apparently) Japan-only Ibanez coming out next month, a little spendy but kind of caught my eye:
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/pag...=1&series_id=2
    Costs about 100 bucks less than a Stars soloist would...

In that price neighborhood, I can also get a Killer Exploder, I think.. always been kinda interested in those but I dunno how they play, and I don't think any place in my town has this (they only have the lower end Pirates one, which sucks) so I'd have to order it blindly.

I've talked with QR a bit, went out to the Tokyo area last week for work but didn't have time to meet up with him or hit up any shops there.
    I haven't figured out where to look for used stuff in my town (or if there even is anything good), and I haven't found much that I like on Yahoo Auctions or Ishibashi's U-box, so I might wind up buying new...

Whaddya guys think?
    Last edited by TheSteveMan; 05-21-2008, 09:55 AM.

here's another good one. www.kurosawagakki.com

They have some killer Jackson's there
    Last edited by finstah; 05-21-2008, 11:19 AM.
    07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

Yup, thanks! I know Kurosawa.. there isn't a shop here so I'd have to have 'em ship it to me but that's not a problem, shipping is cheap.
      I didn't think to see what Jackson stuff they'd carry.
      Looks like only three of the things listed on the web shop are in my price range.. and 78k yen for the HRF dinky is a bit high
      40,000 for the maroon dinky with the maple board might not be so bad.

Comment

I think if I were in Japan I'd have to pick up one of the Edwards SG Custom copies.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Edwards or Ibanez is the way to go imho.

Comment

They do offer some Ibby's not available state side.

Those Dinky's have been on there a while. I'm sure if you go in with cash in hand they'll cut you a deal.

Just remember to bow first. :P
            07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

I'd look at an Edwards Explorer

Comment

Get one of those crazy Japanese ESP/LTD/Edwards signature models. They come in all shapes and sizes. Loads to choose from.
                "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I had a Killer Pirates RG-Prime-looking-model. I thought it kicked ass.

Maybe I got lucky.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Dude, buy a Richie Kotzen Tele from Fender JP.
                    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
                      Dude, buy a Richie Kotzen Tele from Fender JP.
                      Oh those green ones rule! Satin neck...mmmm

Comment

Yeah, I was going to suggest an Edwards too.

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far!
                          I didn't know about the Ritchie Kotzen tele so I'm gonna check that one out... a little more than I want to spend but I'll take a look anyway.
                          In Edwards, the explorer does look nice and there's also the Sex Machineguns guy's star with skull/bones inlays, that could be a good one.. I'm still tempted by that limited edition RG prestige, too...

The Killer makes me reluctant now that I've looked again. The Exploder is 1200 new and doesn't even have an OFR... I could give the Pirates another try, it's a little more in my price range. When I played one in Yokohama a few years back it didn't play well at all, maybe just needed a setup.

Comment

Steve,

Too bad we couldn't get together last week.

Send an e-mail to my k-tai when you'll be up here next.

You may not be into superstrats, but here's a used ESP that I found on Ishibashi's site.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/ishibashi-used/316568803/
                            Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Thanks QR!
                              I do like superstrats, so that's one to think about, too. It looks pretty nice!

We have ESP, Yamaha, and Shimamura shops out here (not sure what else, if anything...), so I'll make my rounds again on saturday I think, and actually try some stuff out.

Comment

Working...
                              X