Sharktooth coloring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharktooth coloring

Not looking to break the bank on this just curious.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas of cost on replacing my inlays with yellow ones? And painting the body and matching headstock.

Was thinking of painting my black Gambale (like the one on the right.) yellow (like the one on the left.)

07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

No idea but the yellow ones are SWEET

Comment

COlors

I have an '83 Rhoads (RR0150 below) with Red sharkfin inlays. I was told by the original owner, who built the guitar as a Jackson employee back then, that the 'inlays' are just clear pieces of plastic that were painted on the backside in the same color as the bevels/head/pickguard before being glued in...couldn't be any simpler eh!

I'd imagine Ibanez did it the same way.

Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

any ideas where you could get those plastic pieces? My worries would be them coming off or the edges not being smooth. Do you have any issues with yours? BTW, SWEET Rhoads baby!!!

Troy, there's a blue one too

07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

You can also use "pickguard" plastic. WD music sells all different colors and it is relatively cheap. You just have to take your time to remove the old inlays and cut the new ones. A good way to fill any gaps between the wood and inlays, is to use clear 5 minute epoxies from Ace Hardware. If you are close to a West Marine store, you can buy cheap tints to color the clear epoxy. The tints can be mixed to match the plastic. You will need to fine sand and buff the plastic to get a nice look. Remember, most of the black dots on your typical maple necks are just black pickguard material.

Comment

I still like the yellow best.

Comment

I need that orange guitar....

Comment

thanks UD I'll check into it

Comment

Honestly why not just get a DY FGM ? It would be a heck of a lot easier then refinishing your black one & changing the inlays. As rare as they are DY FGM's are quite a bit easier to find than black. It wouldnt cost much more than having all the work done & you would have to cool original guitars instead of one thats been refinished. Just a thought.............
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

I'm just throwing out ideas with the coloring. Think it would be more trouble then it's worth.

Believe me if I could find a DY or the SB one in as good a shape as mine I'd do it. Problem is I can't. Never seen a SB one for sale anywhere in the States.

Almost traded my BK for a DY because the guy actually preferred the black over yellow. But it was beat and not worth it.

If you know someone who's selling one let me know.

Comment

Working...
                    X