Question on Warmoth Jackson headstock shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Warmoth Jackson headstock shape

I've been looking at the Warmoth Jackson style headstock and it doesn't look quite right to me. The curved portion near the low E looks too short the angle of the headstock itself looks a bit off too.

Has anyone else noticed this or are the pics on their website just not the best?

The pics suck.
    I've see two Warmoth made necks with the Jackson headstock and they are cut to the same specs as the originals.
    Just make sure you get the heel size right on the order form. They make them with a 2 3/16" heel by default.
    -Rick

Comment

Be careful. According to the guys at Warmoth, their "Jackson" necks are not compatible with true Jackson bodies. I found this somewhat odd, since Warmoth is licensed by Fender and Jackson is owned by Fender.

Does anyone know if it is just the location of the screw holes, intonation issues, heel and heel pocket issues....?
      The Guitars:
      Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
      The Amps:
      Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

It's the heel size. Fender and Jackson use different widths.

Comment

They only make the 22 fret version.
          The 24 fret version is still only a 22 fretter with a 2 fret extension piece added to the board.
          But you CAN order it with a 2 1/4" (Jackson) heel size.
          -Rick

Comment

Warmoth made a big deal about getting true 24 fret necks a couple of years ago.
            They even asked people to send in a neck for them to pattern off of.
            Nothing ever came of it?
            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              The 24 fret version is still only a 22 fretter with a 2 fret extension piece added to the board.
              Agreed about the 24 fret version, only useful for a V or V2 (RR) IMHO. I did not know that a 2 1/4" heel size could be ordered. Presumably one would have to drill the holes himself, as all of their machining is set up for Fender specs.

To Flatpicker, apparently not, unless this is something that has to be ordered as a custom shop item.
              The Guitars:
              Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
              The Amps:
              Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Warmoth had my DK2 neck for a month, and that was their pattern for the Jackson 24 fret necks.
                Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Well, that's good to know that the headstock is correct. I'm working out a parts builds and the Warmoth Jackson neck is one of the possibilities. I would like a backup for my Charvel Bengal but:

1) I don't want to pay for what a new Jackson would cost.
                  2) I don't want to wait 12-24 months to get the guitar.
                  3) I really prefer new vs. used unless the used guitar is minty mint.

I've looked into Musikraft (great stuff but no pointy headstock which I would prefer) and Mojo (great stuff but again, not pointies and the delivery time as stated on the website is a little too long for me at this time). All that being said, I've got a lot of little details to work out so I'm just making sure I check out all my options.

Comment

warmoth "jackson" headstocks are NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT the same as a jackson headstock. they are not the same dimensions. good quality, but NOT the same headstock dimensions.
                    here's an example:

http://warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guita...54&type=guitar

totally not the same.

sully
                    Last edited by sully; 05-12-2008, 07:39 PM.
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, that pic does look different than the two I saw.
                      The two I saw in person were the same shape and size as my PS-2 neck.
                      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                        warmoth "jackson" headstocks are NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT the same as a jackson headstock. they are not the same dimensions. good quality, but NOT the same headstock dimensions.
                        here's an example:

http://warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guita...54&type=guitar

totally not the same.

sully
                        That is one of the pics I was basing my comments on Sully. It doesn't look the same and when I overlaid their headstock over a pic of mine, it doesn't line it. It's not even close.

Hmmm...as much as I like pointies, I may end up going with a Strat headstock instead unless I luck out and find the Jackson or Charvel that already has all the specs I want and just needs a new paint job.
                        Last edited by Matt_B; 05-12-2008, 09:29 PM.

Comment

i've got a few of their jackson style necks; they're not accurate copies at all. that said, i don't know that the intent was to be indentical.

Sully, that pic does look different than the two I saw.
                          The two I saw in person were the same shape and size as my PS-2 neck.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                            That is one of the pics I was basing my comments on Sully. It doesn't look the same and when I overlaid their headstock over a pic of mine, it doesn't line it. It's not even close.

Hmmm...as much as I like pointies, I may end up going with a Strat headstock instead unless I luck out and find the Jackson or Charvel that already has all the specs I want and just needs a new paint job.
                            Check e-bay. There were a few Jackson necks on there today. At least one was a USA.
                            The Guitars:
                            The Amps:

Comment

Rick, you are going to have to help me out. I don't see anywhere on the Warmoth site that they offer a 2-1/4" wide heel. Where is it?

I typically do Strat heads and Tele necks but I do offer a 2-1/4" wide heel. I do some custom work on head shapes. Currently I'm doing this one for a customer.

Comment

Working...
                              X