Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Stoked for a Post Title - lotsa blah blah, and TONS of pics,...warned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Stoked for a Post Title - lotsa blah blah, and TONS of pics,...warned!

20 some years ago, this was an impossible dream, or so i though...
    1st, I only remember ever seeing this guitar in a little tiny ad in guitar player waaaay back and i thought, that's the coolest frikin guitar i've ever seen.
    I had to have one! however, there was NOTHING to be known about them.
    This was at a time before the internet, when you could just click a button and find whatever your looking for.
    So for a long time i had this image in the back of my mind, and a few years later 91 or so, i decided to build my own guitar and while drawing up shapes, i remembered that awesome guitar years ago so i drew up my own interperetation of this guitar from what cloudy image i had left in my head, but that's another story, anyway..later i'll add pics of it (still unfinished 17 years later lol) I guess this gives you the idea of the GAS i had for this thing for sooo long...So i am giddy...surry
    So anyway, lately couple months i been scouting out the internet for one of these guitars, now that i'm a ravenous and my lust cannot be sated.
    Only info about this guitar is basically all in japanese web sites, there is little to no info on it in english, and if you can find some more power to ya, cause i been searching for months.
    So, i found this thing after getting pretty good at half deciphering the gobbly google translation of the japanese language, lol, i finally found one, which is exactly what i wanted and priced well, there was three small pics of it and it seemed in really good shape, translation of it's condition was literally nothing ledgable, however I was able to somewhat get the idea from - "Also, Fred dropped no big shots" into (I THINK) "Also, Frets are level with no big shots (dings) and "Remembering the way it once was" as "It looks just like when it was New" lol, so this is the one i HAD to HIT! ONLY, they didn't ship over seas!, in fact no Japanese site that i emailed and asked about them, they would not export these guitars.
    So i was shut down, i thought of asking certain members of this forum to help me out, and i was damn near just going to riccoche rabbit on over to japan, for a 24 hour guitar bender. I should mention that these guitars are 1800, up to about 4.5+ grand new depending on the model, so what i'll show you here is the midrange model, which from all my research seems is the golden age of the production model for these guitars, basically now in the midrange original floyds are replaced with licensed and body woods are different further seperating them from the "Prime" models.....it's hard to find one of these in good condition, as these guitars are usually pretty beat and well played used.
    So i opted to go with a trading company that will buy auctions or items for you and export them to you for a fee. I decided this was the fastest and i didn't care about the fee, because no way i was gonna get one of these at this price even with the fee, in my mind anyway. It was exactly the model, control layout, floyd route ect that i wanted at less than half the price. I has the same body wood as the top models, it has the Original Floyd, the same pickups, ony thing different as far as i can tell is the way the neck bolts on and a little bit of nit and pick. The trading company did a kick ass job and it was totally worth it.
    Speaking of pics.....ahem
    I had to work all day knowing this was delivered 40 minutes after i left home, it fucking sucked.
    I will say now, that this far exceeded my expectations on a used guitar, with 3 pics and no description and having never had felt or seen one of these guitars in real life, i'm grinnin ear to ear.
    Turns out, This is a 2000 model and is Damn MINT! HAHA, It's Damn near Unplayed !! I put more fret wear in six months than this thing has.
    OK Then...

Arrived safe because it was packed tighter than J Lo's ass in tight denim.

Authentic Japanese News Paper, adds to the vibe

Is that a fender logo...yea but wrong.
    Phase Two of the unpacking phase

Getting Stoked and nervous at the same time

HOW TO PACK A GUITAR

Time for a well needed Break

Hope i'm not busted
    So some of you probably know what it is, just act like you don't or something..

Funny, because I actually absolutley HATE RED, i figured i'd paint it black, but once in my hands i'm like FUCK that looks SWEET!! lol.

Body: Ash
    Neck: Hard Maple / VU Shape
    Fingerboard: Hard Maple
    Scale: 648mm
    Frets: 22
    Neck Joint:Free Access
    Front Pickup:LQ-500 - produced by Akira Takasaki
    Rear Pickup:Dyna-Bite - produced by Akira Takasaki
    Controls:Master Vol、 Select SW、 Front Tone、 Direct SW
    Bridge:Floyd Rose Original

actually pretty heavy little guitar
    The NECK IS Kick ASS feeling!!! Also it still totally has the ultra high gloss sheen on the fret board, literally it looks brand new, and the action i just

For all intents and purpose this is an ESP, Akira Takasaki designed built by ESP, his "Prime" models are essentially Custom Shop, built in House at Killer, and are upward 3.2k to almost 5k, so, not a lot of people have them, even in japan they seem to be sought after especially used and in good condition, they dissapear quickly.
    This one still has Plastic Sheet over the control cavity covers!!

rant -On the issue of Bolt on VS Neck Thru, I personally don't believe that neck thru gives any more sustain or is in any way superior in sound to a bolt on, it's bullshit, i like both but neither is superior in my opinion, and if there is a difference it's due to body wood, or pickups, or string guage, build quality, all these things factor in "sustain". You may like the way a neckthru feels better but that's kinda where it ends, i personally like both, but mostly have played bolt ons.
    Theres a huge cataloug of renowned guitar players past and present have used bolt on neck guitars without complaining about sustain issues. ;P
    The neck joint on this feels great i have free access to all 22 frets without issue.
    Just a thin U shape with 1 5/8 nut. The Akira Takasaki Prime models have what seems like basically a Boat neck Shape or Symetrical V shape, kinda different, and really uneasy about getting one of the Prime models for that reason, so this is the best of both worlds.
    Actually the Prime models don't even have a stabilization strip up the back of the neck either.

So, here's the kicker, i was gointo set it up, and i realized i gave my last allen wrech away with the last guitar i sold, i was like ah crap, so i decided to go ahead and just look in the gig bag pocket in hopes....what's this?

Wrenches - CHECK - BAR - CHECK Original Warranty card ??? - CHECK, Free set of STRAP LOCKS ??? - CHECK

Well, not bad score me thinks, more than i had hoped, and more so than anything, it's not just a wall flower, it actually plays fucking incredible, it feels great solid and a total KILLER!!
    Hails to Akira and Loudness one of my very very first influences, i bought their double live on import on a whim in 84 before Thunder in the Eaast and that, and was huge influenced by Akira. So this rules!
    Well,
    I'll update with pickup and sound characteristics as well as controls.
    and add more to this later, this took up a few hours, lol.

Thanks for reading/ looking, and umm...yeah, Kick Ass!!
    Last edited by Trem; 04-28-2008, 02:50 AM.

Congrats!

Wow @ packing job!

Comment

Congrats.

Which model is it? You said it's not the Prime, but all I've seen of that model are the Pirates and a couple other "sub-Prime" models that only go down in quality. I had a KG-Pirates (same color) and it was a real killer (no pun intended!)

The neck profile reminded me of the San Dimas Charvel Star I had.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

"Arrived safe because it was packed tighter than J Lo's ass in tight denim."

:ROTF::ROTF:

Very cool Trem!
        Congrats.
        That unit looks absolutely made for rippin' it up.
        As usual, a very informative and entertaining post.
        (And a damn fine woodchopper!)

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

That is sweet. Thanks for posting all the pics. This was the best look at one of these I've ever gotten. I was surprised at the odd configuration of the neck bolts and the placement of the jack on the back. Strange.
          THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Roudness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUZzPpJExkQ
            This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

nice bud, wok and woll on the Akiwa Killwahr
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Great guitar, great pics, and excellent narrative. I'm really happy for you, and thanks for sharing that with us.

Now, since you're a big Loudness/Takasaki fan, I wanna know what "M Z A!" means.

Comment

Neat.

Did the bud come with the guitar?
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

forgot how kick-ass Akira and Loudness was...cheching out those youtube vids brings it all back. I remember seeing tem back in 84 or so afer thunder came out in Harpos in detroit...they blew the roof off the joint...excellent band live.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Aw, SWEET! I now have the urge to play Rock And Roll Crazy Nights, or Let It Go!
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Congrats.

Which model is it? You said it's not the Prime, but all I've seen of that model are the Pirates and a couple other "sub-Prime" models that only go down in quality. I had a KG-Pirates (same color) and it was a real killer (no pun intended!)

The neck profile reminded me of the San Dimas Charvel Star I had.
                        This model is KG-Starrion forgot to mention, yeah, the neck does feel somewhat like a charvel.
                        The newer midrange models KG-Exploder body wood is Maple, and they have a liscensed tremelo which basically is likely a ESP version of a jt580 lp, is what they look like basically.
                        The Exploders seem good other than those two things, i didn't want to go maple body, maple neck just was uneasy bout all that maple. Plus they don't have this control layout, they just have volume/selector, i like these contol options, and they are not on any of the models ecxept the Prime 90 anymore, basically this guitar is a Prime 90 with a different neck joint, that's it, plus if i ever have to replace the tremelo or some parts, it's Floyd Original so no problem getting parts ect..
                        The Pirates are made of "sen" wood, which from what i could find seems like a softer porus cheapy kinda wood, and non recessed lic. floyd, from what i gathered from some japanese blogs, the difference between the beginner models, and the mid range to higher models is night and day.

So, on this model, the tone knob is only wired to the Neck pickup, and the small selector switch is a direct switch, what it does is bypass the volume knob puts the pickup right to the output without running thru any pots.
                        Just kinda interesting, Akira must have came up with these ideas out of some kinda nessecity when playing live.

The exact prime 90 i had my eye on is a limited ed, all black, black hardware everything, retails about 336,000 Yen, so about $3400.00, this Kg-Starrion is almost exactly the same thing, except for the neck not being V shaped, and they way it bolts to the body, it's exactly the same.
                        And it cost little me a little over 800 bucks initially
                        New i figure, they were around 1800 like the Exploders are now.
                        The very newest addition the the line, is actually now a neck thru with mahogany body, and maple cap, bound body, and led light fret dot's on the limited edition these are 487,000 Yen so figure 5k
                        and they come with a gigbag, lol.
                        Cases for these guitars are rare as rocking horse shit, as far as i can tell,
                        i could not find them for sale other than if they came with a older used guitar, and i only saw two used guitars that had them.

Which leads me to..., 2 day after snagging this Red Starrion, feeling like wow i really lucked out after all that searching (everyday for months i was watching used stores and Yahoo Japan auctions) literally, lol.

This Mother friking thing POPS UP ON E-BAY LOL
                        Apparently in almost mint condition With a OHC, Holy Shit!!
                        Are you kidding me!! All i could think is (good things come to those that wait), lol, well screw that, i'll take em both muhahaha, but, Damnit!!, i just tapped myself outta cash, well, i wasn't going to let anything stop me from having that case, so i took a certain Jackson down to the *cringe* Pawnshop for a quick loan, and hit that sombitch (sorry, there was no other way, unless someone was gonna let my borrow 600 bucks till payday, lol, yeah right)
                        SO, This is one is MINE, on it's way to MEEEE
                        Luckily i like the feel of the guitar, because that's two i ordered without even having played one yet, LOL, i bought this next one before the first one had even shipped

A look at how everythings wired

famous last words -
                        I'm done with buying guitars now,............. for this year at least

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                          forgot how kick-ass Akira and Loudness was...cheching out those youtube vids brings it all back. I remember seeing tem back in 84 or so afer thunder came out in Harpos in detroit...they blew the roof off the joint...excellent band live.

Yeah, i just got live in Tokyo 86 Lightning Strikes was watching it last night
                          There's some good vids on you tube of their reunion shows, and susequent shows, they have been releasing an album a year since they reformed with original lineup. Akira is not the only great musician in the band either, the bass player is ripping it, and drummer as well. Metal Gods if you ask me, they have stood the test of time, without even getting the respect, or being world famous the entire time, and they still are in the game, playing hard

Now if Accept would reform and put out the album we been waiting for after Metal Heart

Comment

Wow! I have the exact red Killer... Very cool guitar. Mine unfortunately has been sitting in a case since the early or mid 90's with back bow to bad to remove by adjusting the rod though I've always loved the look of it.
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

This gives me an idea for a WR1.. that finish, maple board. Hmmm..
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X