Building an explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an explorer

Well I have been experiencing a severe case of writer's block when it comes to the built of my new Les Paul. I can't find the inspiration to continue the built of that guitar and that really bothers me.

Last week I found these pieces of maple and walnut and inspiration to do something else suddenly struck. They were not sawn off streight and they were too small and too narrow to make a body from, so I glued them together to make a multi piece body. And then I took out a routing template that I made many years ago but never got round to use and made myself this.

The neck is one of the necks from my double neck guitar, the bridge is a top loader Fender Bridge and I'm hoping to finish this number in aged natural.

Looks really good, I'm building a Explorer (Copy) I didn't won't mine to look like a Gibson, I wonted my own look, and I'm also going with a neck through.

I think your copying me, I started to build a explorer so then you had
    to build one. Looks great keep up the good work.

Comment

"build"

"straight"

"want"

"you're"

Please make an effort.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The body looks good but that neck looks to be in bad shape. Probably just bad lighting maybe? good luck and post some updates please. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
          "build"

"straight"

"want"

"you're"

Please make an effort.
          :ROTF: Maybe they need to be high to get it?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
            Last week I found these pieces of maple and walnut
            How bright will that guitar be with maple and walnut? It does look pretty cool, though.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I hope you're gonna paint that
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                I hope you're gonna paint that
                So I take it that you don't like the burled maple?

I'm sorry but it'll be finished in natural to really make the figure of the wood come forwards.

Comment

I meant that the middle part looks out of alignment and makes it look like the guitar is tilting or off center. personally I'd paint over that, but that's just me.

you post your stuff on the net, inviting commentary.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

The burl is fine, it's the wonky centre block that gets me.

Comment

I agree on the center.
                      But, I think if it was straight it would be too narrow (as Blazer noted).
                      The end of the fingerboard looks odd, also.
                      Other than that, it should sound great.
                      Walnut is an interesting choice. How did it do on the "ping" test?
                      (I use a tuner to ping out the tone on woods).

Comment

I like the off-center block. It gives it a cool 60s era spaceage vibe.
                        Is the body a tracing of an explorer? cos it looks a bit larger to my eye.
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Well you guys I just got the guitar back from the painter and as you can see it was worth the wait.

Comment

It's a long road, isn't it?
                            The worst part is wanting to put it together to hear how it will sound.
                            I made that mistake with the mini bich at least three times over!
                            It screams homebuilt but I just love the way it sounds to me.

Take your time Blazer, it should sound great.
                            The paint (stain/clear?) has tamed it back.
                            Pretty cool, I think.

Comment

I like the way it looks too. I think it turned out great so far. Question: Is the route on the back suppose to be like that? I thought it was suppose to be parallel with the bottom wing. I'm not sure was just curious. Anyway keep us updated!

Comment

Working...
                              X