Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acoustic-electric guitars

hey people
    It's my dad birthday this monday and both of us play guitar.. he really likes those ovation acoustic electric guitars so im planning to buy one for him
    i don't know anything about acoustic electric guitars.. i played a few ovations in the store and they all sounded good (with acoustic fender amp).

what im asking for is suggestions.. price range around 400-600 ish
    he likes those thin low profile ovations that are extremely comfortable

another thing.. can you tell me about that company.. quality of their guitars and etc. the ones i played were either made in china or korea.. assuming that the better quality ones are made in korea (and superior are USA made of course)

also, will it sound good decent on a regular electric guitar amp?

-michael
    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Taylor has come out with an inexpensive line of guitars, I think it's the 110, 114, 210, 214 and you can get them in acoustic electric. They start around 400 bucks. If your looking for something with good electronics Takamine has them as well and they're fairly inexpensive.

Comment

I have always liked the Ovations, and have always wondered the same thing,

Comment

ovations are awesome try.

the celebritys are pretty awesome for the price
        Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
        Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

i play an older ovation pinnacle series. it was made in japan in th 80's. it sounds awesome. much more like a REAL aoustic guitar than the newer ones. it has a flamed maple top, a medium bowl and a soft V shaped neck. the electronics are a 3 band EQ and a volume knob. if you can find one it is INCREDIBLE!!!
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

You can find a really fancy Celebrity Ovation, with epallets (those wooded
            leaves on both sides) with a nice built in EQ, with tuner for around $400
            either Sam Ash, or GC. Ovation gives allot of quality for the $'s.
            He will love it! Plus there are about 15 different colors, and styles.

Comment

yep i've played the celebrity ones and they are awesome!
              now how about the amp.. can i use a reagular electric guitar amp?
              If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

It depends on the amp. If you have a high gain amp for metal and solidbody electric guitars, they won't sound as good as a clean Fender or a Polytone or something like that. You want the same sort of amp you'd use for a straight jazz guitar. Basically, solid state with lots of watts, as opposed to a 50 watt tube head on a 412. Like that, they sound fine. I used to play my Custom Legend through a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 combo and it sounded great. It still sounded OK through the X100-B half stack, but you can play that extremely loud and still be very clean.
                As long as your amp will stay clean and bright for as loud as you need the Ovation to go, you should be fine. Just don't face the amp
                And remember with Ovations the thicker the bowl the better they sound unplugged.
                Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

thanks for that input
                  my amp collection isnt that great ..
                  i got a line 6 spider 2 75 watts... i doubt its gonna work the the acoustic since its modeling .. but it might

i also got a small marshall 10 watt but damn that thing sounds quite good and the acoustic might work with that

im just thinking of buying the acoustic fender amp as well.. i dont remember how much it was .. i remember it being small yellowish in color and slanted on an angle, sounded very good with the chorus effect

Comment

I would think a Line 6 would be about as good as you could hope for in a strictly guitar amp. It must have a very clean clean sound in it somewhere, and that's what you want. I think you'll probably be good with your Spider. A hint of chorus, a nice clean model, and you'll sound great.
                    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

tried it on a line 6.. sounds awesome

Comment

Working...
                      X