Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a Carvin! Need opinions! (and possibly Photoshop help?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Carvin! Need opinions! (and possibly Photoshop help?)

Okay here goes! I want a Carvin that basically looks like one of these 2 options...

Which headstock do you guys prefer? Also, I can't decide between flame and quilt, my ideal look if going the flame route is something like this...

But in a green/blue shade, with the aforementioned headstock switch.

My inspiration for this guitar is here...

I know Carvin will help to accommodate any special finish requests, so I'm hoping they can do a deep green/blue finish that fades out darker on the edges, but not quite black, but if it has to be black then I can deal with that.

What do you guys think??

And also, any Photoshop wizards, if someone can cook up a mockup of that purpleburst guitar with a green/blue/turqoise-ish finish instead of purple and slam on the reverse headstock, I would be forever in your debt!

EDIT: For clarities sake, here's a list of things I'm considering so you guys can organize your opinions!

Headstock: Reverse pointy or reverse standard
    Inlays: Dots or no inlays
    Top: Flame or Quilt
    Last edited by DumpyWumpy; 09-26-2007, 05:52 PM.

I like the reverse headstock, just can't get used to the mirror image logo, though. Makes my eyes hurt.

I'll take the green one.

Comment

Originally posted by DumpyWumpy View Post
      Headstock: Reverse pointy or reverse standard
      Inlays: Dots or no inlays
      Top: Flame or Quilt
      I prefer the reverse standard headstock, just think it looks better.
      I prefer dots.
      Flame or quilt? I like both. Maybe you can ask them for a pattern that's a wider flame and looks like a cross between flame and quilt.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like the reverse standard headstock too.
        which ever you decide make sure you speak to a sales rep (Kevin Wall is good) and ask for the most over the top flame or quilt they have (they keep the good stuff off to the side you have to ask for it) and get a deep triple step stain (you have to ask for it ) it will bring out the quilt/flame much better. I'd also get Stainless steel frets , once you feel them you'll want them on every guitar you own.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Thanks for the opinions!

Here's two new mockups to chew on, figured some shit out in Paint Shop Pro about hue alteration and stuff haha...

I'm not really sure what colour I want, the more I stare at it the more I can't tell if it's too grey, too blue, too green, etc. haha...

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
            I like the reverse standard headstock too.
            which ever you decide make sure you speak to a sales rep (Kevin Wall is good) and ask for the most over the top flame or quilt they have (they keep the good stuff off to the side you have to ask for it) and get a deep triple step stain (you have to ask for it ) it will bring out the quilt/flame much better. I'd also get Stainless steel frets , once you feel them you'll want them on every guitar you own.
            Awesome thanks for the tips! I was undecided about the triple step or not, I've seen some non-triple step stains that still looked fantastic, but I guess $160 or whatever it is isn't that much on a custom guitar to guarantee an awesome looking finish...

Comment

Definitely get the SS frets. As far as finishes go I like flames way more than quilts but everyone has their own opinion on that. They do have that "Dragonburst" which I think is green and blue I think that looks great on a quilt top

Comment

Originally posted by DumpyWumpy View Post
                Thanks for the opinions!

Here's two new mockups to chew on, figured some shit out in Paint Shop Pro about hue alteration and stuff haha...

I'm not really sure what colour I want, the more I stare at it the more I can't tell if it's too grey, too blue, too green, etc. haha...

I like the one on the bottom...
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I'd go for the reverse pointy headstock,with the purple quilt and the dots.

Comment

I vote for the reverse pointy...but then I'm biased!

Comment

This a little closer (minus the maple board?)

Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Nah I don't really like the dragon burst, I don't want green AND blue, I want like a blue-ish shade of green that bursts out to really dark or black.

Comment

Fair enough. At least it's got a reverse pointy!
                          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Alright well I ordered it! Specs and options are as follows!

Model: DC127M

Maple Neck through w/ Mahogany sides
                            14" fretboard radius
                            Greenburst on wide pattern Flamed Maple
                            Deep Triple Step Stain
                            Stainless Steel Jumbo Frets
                            Reverse Inline Standard Headstock
                            Black hardware
                            M22SD bridge, C22N pickups
                            Dunlop Straplocks

SO EXCITED! Hopefully I'll see it around December!

Comment

Did you get a tung oiled neck or the standard high gloss neck? The tung oiled neck is the bomb
                              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
                              X