24 vs 27 frets - Opinions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 vs 27 frets - Opinions Needed

I am getting a custom guitar built. Pondering whether to get 24 or 27 frets.
    Similar to a Hamer Californian.

I can get a really beveled or scalloped lower horn on either. Rarely would I use anything past the 24th fret if ever. The frets are so tiny up there.

But man can you do nice arpeggios at the 24th fret using the extra room - had a Hamer Cali once that had 27 frets and it was so easy to play up at the 24th fret - which I use all of the time.

The other thing is the tone - with 24 frets I can put in a Humbucker. With 27 it would have to be a Hot Rail or similar. I know there would be some kind of tone difference but don't know how much.

OPINIONS NEEDED
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Before you have one built, take a look at a Tagima K1. I like 27 better for the reason you described.

------------------------------------------------
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I'm currently having a 27-fret KXK 7-string made for me--and it will have two full-sized humbuckers. If you don't use frets 25-27, though, you might just as well get a 24-fret guitar with an extra deep cutaway that will allow you to both have good fret access and have a neck pickup in the position you want it.

Comment

doesn't matthais enklund's apple horn have 27 ??

Comment

That slanted fretboard looks killer. Of course, it would look even more killer on a custom 27-fret old skool warrior! (IMHO)

Comment

Axewielder, yeah...I don't care for Warriors but to each their own. This K1 is hands-down the best sounding and playing superstrat I've ever played in 26 years of playing guitar. I can't gush about this thing enough, the tone, the feel and the Gotoh bridge...all superb.
            Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

just put a humbucker in the middle position if you want a bucker so bad
              Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                just put a humbucker in the middle position if you want a bucker so bad
                He was wondering about the tonal differences (in the neck position) between a 27 fret guitar with a blade pickup and a 24 fret guitar with a full-sized humbucker. Post first, *then* drink the bong water.

Comment

The single-coil sized humbuckers sound like hotter, slightly thicker single coils, but not that much like full-sized humbuckers. They are a useful compromise.

Comment

With 27 frets, you can brag to your fellow 24 fretters "This one goes to 27!"

Like my Rand:

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Look for a good used Hamer USA Califonian. 27 frets and very well put together. I had a Cali Custom(ebony and boomers) many years ago and the neck was too thin for me and that was a a shame, killer guitar!!

Jack

Comment

I still regret selling my Californian Standard last year. Although it did help fund a killer 78 Hamer Sunburst which is a killer vintage guitar, I'm at a bit of a shortage of shredders.

Depending on what you're looking at having built, I would look at another Californian. They can be hadwith mahogany or maple bodies, in either bolt on or set neck construction. Toss in a Distortion/Hot Rails combo and you have a sweet shredder.

I need to look into getting another Cali someday. I never used the 27th fret, or the 24th for that matter. But they just look so fucking tits.

Comment

Calis typically have 1-5/8" nuts. Too small for my hands. I need 1-11/16" minimum and could probably even go 1.75"

Calis frets are too small also. And the back of the neck is shallacked - it gets sticky. I like a satin finish.

Nope Cali won't do. I found someone to build me the exact style guitar as a Cali - with cut outs and a body shape that is a little slicker.

I am just deciding how I want it built. Stuck on whether to go maple / mahogany or Alder also.

Check out this thread,,,http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73014
                          Last edited by shredmonster; 09-22-2007, 04:57 PM.
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post
                            Calis typically have 1-5/8" nuts. Too small for my hands. I need 1-11/16" minimum and could probably even go 1.75"

Calis frets are too small also. And the back of the neck is shallacked - it gets sticky. I like a satin finish.

Nope Cali won't do. I found someone to build me the exact style guitar as a Cali - with cut outs and a body shape that is a little slicker.

I am just deciding how I want it built. Stuck on whether to go maple / mahogany or Alder also.

That's one thing I like about my Tagima. The fretboard/neck is wide. It feels so comfortable...I'm like you I hate skinny necks.

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post

Ahh, yeah. Kevin's guitar. That is pretty badass. I thought about getting one of those as well.

If I went that route, I would go maple/mahogany. But that's just my personal preference.

Comment

Working...
                              X