Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ibanez RG270... worth putting money into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG270... worth putting money into?

It seems that pretty soon I am going to be getting the RR5 that I've been drooling over, which will leave me with my current Ibanez RG270 doing nothing.

It is in decent shape, it buzzes on the 2nd fret on the low E only (no idea why that is), just has the stock pickups.

So once I've got my Jackson and have had a few months to mess around with it, do you think it would be worth it for me to pay some money and put some Duncans in it? If I'm going to do that, I'll probably replace the tuners since they're kinda garbage. I'm thinking I may try to do a scalloping job on the neck, we'll see. I'll probably end up buying a new Jackson neck since its a bolt-on.

So really my question is, could this become a decent guitar with a little money and time thrown its way, or would it be like refurbing an old VW bus?

Entry level Korean model.........IMHO not worth spending upgrade money on.............Keep it as is or get rid of it........Just my $0.02

Comment

If it's worth playing, it's worth upgrading. You can always move those parts to another guitar later on. Now spending money on permanent upgrades, that's different.
      Just a guitar player...

Comment

I have a 270DX and I hate it. The trem sucks, pickups suck, neck is too thin for my (current) tastes.. so I wouldn't spend money on upgrades.
        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I-Been-Had... .....:ROTF:
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

If you are going to keep it upgrade the bridge pickup, but if you sell it put back the original pickup. I upgraded mine rg320 by putting in a duncan designed distortion. not the best pickup but it is worlds better then the powersound. You can get those on ebay for $20-30 (HB103B).

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
              It seems that pretty soon I am going to be getting the RR5 that I've been drooling over, which will leave me with my current Ibanez RG270 doing nothing.

It is in decent shape, it buzzes on the 2nd fret on the low E only (no idea why that is), just has the stock pickups.

So once I've got my Jackson and have had a few months to mess around with it, do you think it would be worth it for me to pay some money and put some Duncans in it? If I'm going to do that, I'll probably replace the tuners since they're kinda garbage. I'm thinking I may try to do a scalloping job on the neck, we'll see. I'll probably end up buying a new Jackson neck since its a bolt-on.

So really my question is, could this become a decent guitar with a little money and time thrown its way, or would it be like refurbing an old VW bus?
              No. It's not worth it...

By the time you spend the money on pickups and tuners and whatnot, you could sell the thing and take that money and buy a used 550 or 570. That's what I would do...

And referbing a VW Bus is not the best comparison. Those things are starting to get big money...
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I bought a used one at Daddy's, since it had nice action.
                I agree that the neck was a bit thin, and the pickups were thin/toneless.
                After about a week, I ended up throwing in Ibanez V8/V1/V7 pickups I picked up real cheap on e-bay.
                It actually sounded as nice as it played after that.
                Ended up selling it on e-bay for a 50 profit once I got bored with it.
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                X