Warlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warlock

Hey guys thought I'd quit lurking and ask a couple of questions regarding a BC Rich Warlock I have.

Don't really play it that much but i've been picking it up more and more lately.

Anyway part of the reason I wasn't playing it much was because I found it to be kinda difficult to play. I've had a close inspection of it one thing I noticed is that the neck is not aligned properly. Getting up into the higher frets the high e string is very close to edge of the fretboard as opposed to the low e.

Hopefully in the the pics i've posted you'll be able to see what i'm talking about.

Any advice would be great.

This pic gives fair idea of what i was trying to describe. You can also see the fourth string slightly start to move over the inlays

Here's a pic of the whole guitar

Actually, it's more likely that the trem is misaligned, not the neck. This is a common problem with Ibanez bolt-ons (and appears to be a problem with some Jackson USA 7-strings, also).

Easiest fix is probably to put a side shim in the neck pocket to move the neck slightly toward the treble side. I did that with an Ibanez RG7620 and it fixed the problem quite well. The only alternative to that is to remove the trem and fill/redrill the holes for the posts. That's a lot more work and would screw up the finish a bit.
    Last edited by pro-fusion; 08-15-2007, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Is there a specific material I should use for a shim or is it a case of whatever fits best?

Comment

Originally posted by thebeggar View Post
        Is there a specific material I should use for a shim or is it a case of whatever fits best?
        I just cut up guitar picks when I need a shim.

Comment

I would try to align the neck. I have had to do this on a couple of guitars I bought. Loosen the strings up and then loosen the neck bolts. Next pull the neck up until it is lined up. I really think this will work from the pictures you posted.

Or you could just give that cool looking warlock to me. :-)
          Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by thebeggar View Post
            Hey guys thought I'd quit lurking and ask a couple of questions regarding a BC Rich Warlock I have.

Don't really play it that much but i've been picking it up more and more lately.

Anyway part of the reason I wasn't playing it much was because I found it to be kinda difficult to play. I've had a close inspection of it one thing I noticed is that the neck is not aligned properly. Getting up into the higher frets the high e string is very close to edge of the fretboard as opposed to the low e.

Hopefully in the the pics i've posted you'll be able to see what i'm talking about.

Any advice would be great.

Now that's a killer BC! Cool paintjob!!

This pic gives fair idea of what i was trying to describe. You can also see the fourth string slightly start to move over the inlays

Here's a pic of the whole guitar

Now that's a killer BC! Cool paintjob!!
            My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
              I would try to align the neck. I have had to do this on a couple of guitars I bought. Loosen the strings up and then loosen the neck bolts. Next pull the neck up until it is lined up. I really think this will work from the pictures you posted.
              +1. This is the method I use too. Works like a charm, unless the neck is really off center. But for a minor adjustment like yours needs, I would try this method...
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                +1. This is the method I use too. Works like a charm, unless the neck is really off center. But for a minor adjustment like yours needs, I would try this method...
                +2 one of the guitars i bought off the bay needed that i guess it shifted in shipping. its fine now.
                & thats a killer warlock

Comment

Thanks for the response guys, i'll try to loosen the neck then straighten. We'll see what happens. I've got a few picks lying around so that might be an option as well.

Just so I lose all credibility apparently the guitar belonged to Lita Ford (I know, I know thats I thought).
                  Anyway the lady I bought it off didn't volunteer this info. It was only after a comment I made when I saw it (unknowingly I had my first case of gas) that she told me it was too heavy for Lita who gave it to her guitar tech who then sold it to this lady.
                  I don't know what the hell to believe but I took it to the music shop for a setup and they didn't dismiss it entirely so who knows. One thing he did say was that I made killing on it - $300 Aus for an American made Bc Rich sounds alright to me whether it belongs to Lita ford or not.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post

Or you could just give that cool looking warlock to me. :-)
                    ding ding ding!!! we have a winner.
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yup I see stuff like this all the time. A customer will come into work and say "the strings are too close to the edge of the neck. and it falls off the edges when i play" So what do i do? I show them why this is happening: and simply loosen the neck screws a couple of turns and pull the neck up and hold it in place against my body for leverage and tighten the neck bolts. And Presto good as new.
                      Gil

Comment

The strings line up with the pole pieces so shift the neck a little you should be fine
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hey guys I loosened the neck and straightened it. That made some difference but i might try it again just to be sure. Is there some specific order to tighten the bolts. I tightened them evenly but with more emphasis on the bass side.
                          Cheers

Comment

If you have to apply some pressure to the neck to keep it lined up while tighting the neck bolts, thats ok. If there is an order I am not aware of it.
                            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Classic neck out of alignment. Same pictures are in Dan Erlewine's repair book "How to make you guitar play great" page 81. He had to file away some paint inside the pocket to get the neck to align. You might want to get the book because there are some good tips in there to keep you from ruining your paint job.

Comment

Working...
                              X