Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok...this may be blasphemy...but im not that impressed with PRS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok...this may be blasphemy...but im not that impressed with PRS!

Played an absolutely beatiful natural quilt artist packaged custom 24.
    Sure the neck felt fine.. wonderful wood and attention to detail...but
    it sounded kind of thin overall. Maybe these are supposed to have
    kind of a neutral PUP sound to them? Nothing too tame..nothing too
    hot in PUPS? I know..maybe its me...but for $3300.00 i was mildly
    interested! Made my new PC-1 Seem like a Steal! I played it through
    a new reissue JCM 800 ($1835.00 head only) so its not like i didnt hear
    it through a quality amp! Should i be stoned for feeling this way?
    I kept thinking to myself (played it for about 30 minutes) "Its a nice
    $1700 guitar" IMO if im going to get into the mid $3500 area, i should
    spend that on a Brian Moore, or Tom Anderson.

I would have a tried a couple more amps..and dialed a few clean tones too. Sure ya didn't have it tapped?

Comment

I have a PRS Custom 22 that originally came with nickel covered DragonIIs. The bridge pickup sound didn't do anything for me until I dropped in a nickel covered Duncan JB. Now it sounds great. It fit perfectly without mod'ing anything and looks 'original'. I was able to wire it in to the rotarty 5-way so it performs as the original DragonII did.

Comment

I dont know what to say. Have a custom 24 that I just got and it counds absolutley fantastic going threw my mesa boogie triple rect. The distortion sounds awsome and the clean sounds just as good, the clean actually sounds better than all my jacksons do. Mine doesnt have the nickel coverd pickups so maybe that makes a difference, I dont know.

Comment

Your not the first.
          sigpic

Comment

Well, I haven't played a PRS yet, but, when I got my KV-2 I played through a Marshall JCM800 reissue and got that "thin" feeling... then I plugged into a Mesa Stiletto and the difference was brutal, the KV2 came to life. When I got my Carvin V3 the feeling was even better, I believe that MAYBE those 800's aren't as deep sounding, remember they are very middy and trebly.

Comment

When I first tried them in the late 90's I didn't like them, hated the way they looked and would've beat up anyone playing one. Now, If I weed through a few decent ones I can find one that I like on all levels. Maybe I'm just getting older and less angry though
              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                Well, I haven't played a PRS yet, but, when I got my KV-2 I played through a Marshall JCM800 reissue and got that "thin" feeling... then I plugged into a Mesa Stiletto and the difference was brutal, the KV2 came to life. When I got my Carvin V3 the feeling was even better, I believe that MAYBE those 800's aren't as deep sounding, remember they are very middy and trebly.
                ********* Good points...maybe that was it? I'll play it again
                on a Peavey XXX, I know that one is brutal!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                  Played an absolutely beatiful natural quilt artist packaged custom 24.
                  Sure the neck felt fine.. wonderful wood and attention to detail...but
                  it sounded kind of thin overall. Maybe these are supposed to have
                  kind of a neutral PUP sound to them? Nothing too tame..nothing too
                  hot in PUPS? I know..maybe its me...but for $3300.00 i was mildly
                  interested! Made my new PC-1 Seem like a Steal! I played it through
                  a new reissue JCM 800 ($1835.00 head only) so its not like i didnt hear
                  it through a quality amp! Should i be stoned for feeling this way?
                  I kept thinking to myself (played it for about 30 minutes) "Its a nice
                  $1700 guitar" IMO if im going to get into the mid $3500 area, i should
                  spend that on a Brian Moore, or Tom Anderson.
                  Yea,, you were probably stoned. $3300.00 PRS guitars are fantastic well balanced guitars made with the finest materials and craftsmanship. You will almost NEVER get a bad PRS custom.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    Yea,, you were probably stoned. $3300.00 PRS guitars are fantastic well balanced guitars made with the finest materials and craftsmanship. You will almost NEVER get a bad PRS custom.
                    ********** Wait! I didnt say it was bad...Neck was great, although
                    i dont like anything without Jumbo frets anymore..and of course the fit
                    and finish were amazing! Quality everywhere...just didnt knock my socks
                    off with "tone"...a bit thin imo.. But it very well may be that JCM 800
                    i was playing through. I'll try it out again on the white L.E. Fender Twin
                    tube amp. If that aint clean..nuthin is!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      Yeah, but Ed Roman say's the newer PRS's are junk. Gotta buy one that was made in the first few years
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                        ********** Wait! I didnt say it was bad...Neck was great, although
                        i dont like anything without Jumbo frets anymore..and of course the fit
                        and finish were amazing! Quality everywhere...just didnt knock my socks
                        off with "tone"...a bit thin imo.. But it very well may be that JCM 800
                        i was playing through. I'll try it out again on the white L.E. Fender Twin
                        tube amp. If that aint clean..nuthin is!
                        If it sounded thin.. my guess would be it was the amp.

Comment

Myself, I've noticed a disturbing lack of Floyds on PRSs.

Comment

Originally posted by livebiz View Post
                            Myself, I've noticed a disturbing lack of Floyds on PRSs.

Comment

Oh yeah, now that you mentioned it... why is ED ROMAN hosting a public war against PRS guitars? I was a reader of his website for quite a long time, before I even knew JCF, and I always thought it was interesting but he kept bashing at PRS continuosly.

He did had some good points though, like, 24 fretted necks and neck through body construcion and some stuff like that should be added to PRS, if you compared a PRS guitar to a Jackson USA he said that the Jackson was way superior... or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X