Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I order my custom... but NOT FROM JACKSON! Read this, and compare guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I order my custom... but NOT FROM JACKSON! Read this, and compare guys...

Yup!

After reading this you now may wanna think twice before ordering a new Custom Made Jackson...

1) After having **** being very patient with me and e-mailing me back with quotes and stuff, he finally told me that he's stopped doing bussiness with Jackson's Custom Shop because of some quality problems he encountered, like guitars not being packaged correctly, cases arriving broke due to poor packing, accesories missing etc. A tough company to deal with.

2) The ridiculous price increase OF COURSE. Okay, we all know how we feel about this by now.

So I decided to go with Rico Jr guitars. John from Axe Grinder treated me like a brother, answered all my e-mails on time, took A LOT of interest, I even talked on the phone with Bernie himself and John too, really nice people, caring to detail, etc etc.

Check my order, and compare to what could've been my Jackson custom order. After the price increase, I shortened down my "cool" options on the King V reducing it to a "normal" custom made King V. You'll have to read this to believe it, compared the features, accesories, details, etc etc between both.

1) The "supposed" Custom Made Jackson KV-2.

PRICE: $ 4800 (according to ******* and a couple more dealers)

Body: KV-2 Mahogany with 1/8th flamed maple top
    Neck: 3 piece mahogany, ebony fretboard, sharkfin inlays
    Frets: 24, jumbo 6100, standard nickel or whatever, bound neck and headstock
    Electronics: 2 EMG 81 pickups, 9 volt battery box
    Bridge: Floyd Rose Original
    Finish: Transparent green
    Hardware: Black hardware, Schaller M6 tuners, Dunlop flushmount Straplocks
    Case: G&G

Okay, that's it. If you notice... it's kinda like a plain simple guitar, like a KV-2 but made out of mahogany, and that's almost 5 grand!!!

Now... look at what I just ordered !!!!

2) My custom made Vixen

PRICE: $ 3900

Body: Vixen Mahogany with 1 piece 1/4th quilted maple top
    Neck: 1 piece mahogany module, ebony fretboard, no inlays
    Frets: 24, jumbo 6100 stainless steel Dunlop, abalone purfling on headstock, neck and body, with white binding too. Abalone "B" logo.
    Electronics: 2 EMG 81 pickups, 18 volt battery box, wired in series (18 volt mod)
    Bridge: Floyd Rose Original
    Finish: Transparent Red
    Hardware: Black hardware, Grover Imperial tuners, Dunlop flushmount Straplocks
    Case: G&G

What do you think of that?

Think of what this guitar will cost according to Jackson's new prices... That'd be like... 9 grand???

Anyway, I'm so happy I finally made that order, all I have to do is wait 120 days!

I dunno guys, as much as I love my KV-2 (and as from now it's on sale), I believe that Rico's are now the way to go. Not trying to sabotage the forum or anything, just needed to share my happiness and my surprise on the price comparison.

P.d the title is: I ORDERED, sorry about that
    Last edited by LEOKV2; 04-11-2007, 09:45 PM.

You are probably ok posting prices for Rico Jr..... but if you want to post Jackson prices, at least don't mention any specific dealer names.

Glad that you finally ordered what you want

Comment

Oops, sorry bout that.

Weird, the edit option is not available :s

Comment

Man that sounds great! I really like what I've seen with Rico guitars but never had the pleasure of playing one. I have also looked at other options for custom guitars. Maybe BC Rich or Washburn but Ran and Rico guitars are at the top of my list. Please come back and post pics and how she plays when you get her and DONT forget about us at JCF!
        Last edited by z1n; 04-12-2007, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Well excuse me but I don't see a hell of a difference between two. If I were to order a custom guitar and pay about 4K. I'd go with Jackson anyway, that's why I'm here, I love "Jackson" guitars the most
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Are you perhaps missing the parts in CAPITALS?

Thicker quilt top - more expensive.

Stainless steel frets - more expensive because of tool wear

Purfling on headstock, body and neck - labour intensive and thus more expensive

Binding (I am assuming all three are bound) - more labour intensive considering the large body perimeter, and compared to the unbound body of the KV

EMG 18 volt wiring - doesn't make a helluva lot of difference :P

Price - close to $1000 off the KV quote.

No difference?

Comment

big brand name custom guitars will always cost more than they should

Comment

Avoid the Dunlop Strap Locks AT ALL COSTS!

Please use the Schallers if you are going to use anything.

I've worn out 2 sets, mind you this was 3-4 day a week practice with a number of shows during a 2 year period, but they do wear out, and they will give when you least expect it.

The second set failing caused massive damage to my $2100 custom Warwick Thumb bass by letting it fall, and no you're not always quick enough to catch it as it falls:

Last edited by xenophobe; 04-12-2007, 06:24 AM.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
                  Are you perhaps missing the parts in CAPITALS?

Thicker quilt top - more expensive.

Stainless steel frets - more expensive because of tool wear

Purfling on headstock, body and neck - labour intensive and thus more expensive

Binding (I am assuming all three are bound) - more labour intensive considering the large body perimeter, and compared to the unbound body of the KV

EMG 18 volt wiring - doesn't make a helluva lot of difference :P

Price - close to $1000 off the KV quote.

No difference?
                  I don't see these as a hell of a difference, it's just a lil bit better imo
                  Check my bands!
                  www.myspace.com/magicktr
                  www.myspace.com/sinif64
                  www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

$900 looks like a big difference to me. I hope they give you what you order, unlike what's been coming out of Jackson lately...

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                      I don't see these as a hell of a difference, it's just a lil bit better imo
                      Actually, the abalone perfing combined with full body binding would be at least a $1000 upcharge on a Jackson if they did it... A similar Jackson would probably be close to $5500-$6000 at last year's price. So that's actually a great deal for the Rico.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        Avoid the Dunlop Strap Locks AT ALL COSTS!

Please use the Schallers if you are going to use anything.
                        I've been using Dunlops for over 20 years. I've had them on 50+ guitars and never had a single failure. The Schallers on the other hand, caused my Spector bass to nearly lose it's headstock. Another set of those are responsible for a nice chunk missing out of a 70's Strat I used to have. Schallers can kiss my ass.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Huh? Schallers are a problem? I've been using those ever since they came out on the market. No problems. I have no experience with the Dunlops, so I can't comment there.
                          The one trick I use with the Schaller's is to use "Blue" Loctite on the nut that holds the strap to the lock. It's old trick from having raced motocross for years. Loctite everything. It will not come off, unless you use a wrench and some resistance.

Anyway, congrats to Leo!
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Yeah, I would have to agree that $900 cheaper for a guitar with significant upgrades is definitely a major difference. I really like the look of some of the Rico stuff, but unfortunately they have ghey headstocks.

As for the strap locks, I guess it's a personal preference thing. I use Schaller myself, always have. I just think they feel more solid than the Dunlops. I've never had one fail. I really don't see how they could fail if they're installed properly.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I nevr had Dunlops come off but I have had the seize up and could NOT get the fuckers off!
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Working...
                              X